VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 10:17:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I know most of y'all probably aren't big into theatre...  (Read 7984 times)
VOLveeta
« on: February 16, 2016, 04:33:56 EST »

But I recommend giving this a look see.  This show has revolutionized Broadway and the telling of history... in a way that is making even my eleven year old ravenous for anything and everything about the founding fathers.  We are now watching the HBO John Adams series together, which I've already seen and is fantastic. 

But this is HAMILTON.  Just won a Grammy last night and is going to overwhelm the Tony's later in the year.  It's brilliant, it's addictive, it's incredible story telling and it's... changing the way theatre tells history. 

Enjoy here because as the headline says, it's about as close as any of us will be able to see it for a long time.  It's sold out for almost a year.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/watch-the-hamilton-performance-at-the-grammys.html?mid=fb-share-vulture
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 01:30:32 EST »

Good stuff. Thanks.
VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:35 EST »

Good stuff. Thanks.

Thanks for actually watching it.  It's cool watching my young'un become interested in things like the Constitution and American history because of a musical.  Not since the musical 1776 has theatre embraced our history so well.  :-)  Thanks buddy.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:43:07 EST »

Good theatre is a) fantastic and b) really difficult to execute. Thanks for passing along the link.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
VOLveeta
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:11:58 EST »

Good theatre is a) fantastic and b) really difficult to execute. Thanks for passing along the link.

Agreed.  It's incredible watching Ava's obsession now with history and government.  She listens to this part over and over and over, a debate between Thomas Jefferson & Alexander Hamilton... IN RAP!!!  :-)  She and a friend are going to do it for their history class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm4lPfzjrRw
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 04:29:36 EST by VOLveeta » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 04:51:45 EST »

We love the theater.  Took in a Broadway show just about every time we visited my son when he was at West Point.  Mrs. HTV and I see shows on a pretty regular basis when road troupes come in to our area, and we've even gone to other cities to see a few. 

Just because we are East Tennesseans doesn't mean we don't have some degree of "culture", you know.      

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VOLveeta
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:04:23 EST »

We love the theater.  Took in a Broadway show just about every time we visited my son when he was at West Point.  Mrs. HTV and I see shows on a pretty regular basis when road troupes come in to our area, and we've even gone to other cities to see a few. 

Just because we are East Tennesseans doesn't mean we don't have some degree of "culture", you know.      

Well, Herb, you're a rich man!  ;-)  If you can get in, any way... standing room, whatever, do it, see Hamilton.  Folks are telling me this show is the most powerful evening of theatre they've ever experienced.  Also, of course this goes for any of y'uns... come see a show at Flat Rock Playhouse or North Carolina Stage in Asheville.  We're doing some really good work.

The tour of HAMILTON is going to hit Charlotte in 2017, gotta get my tix asap.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 05:11:19 EST »

We love the theatre as well. My kids have both been involved in community theatre and love it. As a matter of fact, my wife, daughter and I were all in a recent production of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

"It's not multiple personality disorder, it's called a theatre degree!"
VOLveeta
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 05:13:08 EST »

We love the theatre as well. My kids have both been involved in community theatre and love it. As a matter of fact, my wife, daughter and I were all in a recent production of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever.

"It's not multiple personality disorder, it's called a theatre degree!"

Uh Oh!!!  Were your young'uns "HERDMANS"?!?!?!?!  :-)  Great little play!
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 05:29:20 EST »

Nope. The director said she was too sweet to be a Herdman. She was Charles in A Wrinkle In Time beofre that, though. She's got some talent, if I do say so myself. My wife was one of the church biddies and I was Rev. Hopkins, a fireman, and an orderly. We had a blast.

We'd love to come over and see a one of your productions sometime.
VOLveeta
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 05:52:40 EST »

Nope. The director said she was too sweet to be a Herdman. She was Charles in A Wrinkle In Time beofre that, though. She's got some talent, if I do say so myself. My wife was one of the church biddies and I was Rev. Hopkins, a fireman, and an orderly. We had a blast.

We'd love to come over and see a one of your productions sometime.

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 07:32:33 EST »

I'm still waiting for the Broadway musical version of Planet of the Apes to come out.

VOLveeta
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 07:42:58 EST »

I'm still waiting for the Broadway musical version of Planet of the Apes to come out.

Me too, in the meantime, there's this.  Apparently it's actually brilliant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Burns,_a_Post-Electric_Play
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 07:44:45 EST »

They made "Rocky" into a musical, so I wouldn't put anything past them.  

Personally, I'm waiting for a musical version of "24".  Featuring hit songs, "Dammit Chloe, There's No Time!", "Tell Me Where The Bomb Is", and "Drop The Weapon!".

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 10:11:52 EST »

I think I see the ham!
VOLveeta
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2016, 10:28:15 EST »

I think I see the ham!

HAHAHA!  Yep!  Such a great little story, a great Christmas play!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: