VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 05:59:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UNC gets new notice of allegations  (Read 3365 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2016, 08:23:40 EDT »

what a mess

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article73736122.html

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 01:03:24 EDT »

There are many cynics who believe UNC only "discovered" and reported this "new" info late last year so this past basketball season wouldn't be affected. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 02:49:53 EDT »

Football and basketball teams will skate with minor infractions......Hide and watch.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 04:26:18 EDT »

And Donnie Tyndall will get 10 more years added to his show-cause penalty.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 06:03:50 EDT »

Just as I suspected, football and men's basketball are as pure as the driven snow.  Hopefully the women's basketball, soccer, and volleyball teams will not drag them down with them.  I particularly like the fact that the NCAA clarified that being enrolled in what for all practical purposes was a non-existent class was not in and of itself a violation.  In fact receiving excellent grades in the class is not a violation.  It is only a violation if someone helped the athlete receive an excellent grade in a non-existent class.  I am relatively sure they needed no help in receiving an excellent grade, so there was obviously no violation, and I am really buffaloed as to what all the fuss is about.  Plus, there were no BBQs at the home of coaches, and I am absolutely positive no coaches or university personnel were anything less than 100% honest and forthcoming in their interviews.  So just not much there.  The NCAA has once again proven to be nothing if not reasonable and fair, and wise beyond our mortal understanding. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 07:38:35 EDT »

Just as I suspected, football and men's basketball are as pure as the driven snow.  Hopefully the women's basketball, soccer, and volleyball teams will not drag them down with them.  I particularly like the fact that the NCAA clarified that being enrolled in what for all practical purposes was a non-existent class was not in and of itself a violation.  In fact receiving excellent grades in the class is not a violation.  It is only a violation if someone helped the athlete receive an excellent grade in a non-existent class.  I am relatively sure they needed no help in receiving an excellent grade, so there was obviously no violation, and I am really buffaloed as to what all the fuss is about.  Plus, there were no BBQs at the home of coaches, and I am absolutely positive no coaches or university personnel were anything less than 100% honest and forthcoming in their interviews.  So just not much there.  The NCAA has once again proven to be nothing if not reasonable and fair, and wise beyond our mortal understanding. 

For better or worse, the NCAA leaves the integrity of the actual academics to the universities.  This was true of Minnesota a few years ago and it was true of Tennessee during the LBM era. 

Having said that, this reflects very poorly on UNC. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:30:45 EDT »

This is bad for ECU, but not UNC. A brand name isn't getting hammered, so a proxy will.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:38:08 EDT »

Plus, UNC rightfully defended that the course was open to the general student body, so was not an extra benefit to athletes.  Even though the vast majority of students in the course were athletes, bases were covered.  FWIW, I agree that academics should be the domain of the school.  Hey, I took football Geography and football Physics my freshman year, and was happy for the grade.  Every university has the courses.  What I hate is that the non-revenue sports are being painted black (not entirely, UNC as a whole is also taking a hit) while the appearance is that the cash cows are being handled with kid gloves.

For better or worse, the NCAA leaves the integrity of the actual academics to the universities.  This was true of Minnesota a few years ago and it was true of Tennessee during the LBM era. 

Having said that, this reflects very poorly on UNC. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: