VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:25:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can you guys point out any one thing that was the major cause of the Vols  (Read 5374 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2016, 06:40:22 EDT »

decline in football. It started at the end of the Fulmer era. In his last year was the talent already getting depleted? If so, why did the recruiting during his last few years decline? Was he a master recruiter or was it the assistants he had around him?  How much blame do you place on the AD? What had Dooley done to indicate he was worthy of the job? As I recall at the time, most fans were supportive of the hire. Look at the track record for hires at UT in basketball and football recently. Pearl, Martin, Tyndall,Barnes, Dooley, Kiffin, Jones. The jury is still out on Jones and Barnes. The only one I was really behind was Kiffin. I liked the swagger he brought back to the program. Boy was that a disaster and I was wrong. He did do a great job developing Crompton. Barnes should get a year or two to recruit some talent. I think Jones is in a put up or shut up situation. Does anyone expect anything less than winning the SEC East. If not, why? What will the excuses be? He has the talent and the favorable schedule. As of now, Bama is the only questionable W or L. VT and UF are huge games. Lose one of those and the fans will be all over Jones. Again.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:40:19 EDT »

Program started a slide after the 2001 SECCG cluster loss to LSU. Fulmer became lazy and recruited stars instead of needs....recruiting started going south in the early to mid 2000's. Too loyal to asst. coaches....Promoting Sanders to OC when he wasn't close to being ready but Fulmer could keep his thumb on him. Look at the program when coach Cutt was here and when he wasn't. Fulmer without Cutt was like a car without its 4th wheel. Fulmer lived the last several season off his equity for winning a NC. He was a UT guy who thought be would be there until he decided to leave.

You fire a coach that had won like Fulmer did you better have a good coach in your back pocket....and Hammy didn't. Most big name coaches wouldn't touch us with a 10 foot pole at that point...thus Kiffin who was looking for a job. When he left in the middle of the night our program became even more toxic and at that time the NCAA was snooping around the basketball program and the football program to some extent. Through all this we had a weak AD.

After that it was just a total cluster of epic proportions. Dooley KILLED the program.....KILLED it! There are posters on this board that wouldn't have damaged the program as much as Fooley did.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:45:29 EDT »

volsboy, did you just put a bunch of key words and phrases about UT's failures in athletics into a Random Post Generator and now just periodically push the button to trot a new one out here? Because they're not really all the same post, but they're really all the same post.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 09:32:32 EDT »

volsboy, did you just put a bunch of key words and phrases about UT's failures in athletics into a Random Post Generator and now just periodically push the button to trot a new one out here? Because they're not really all the same post, but they're really all the same post.
I still say he ain't no Vol.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 09:34:10 EDT »

Program started a slide after the 2001 SECCG cluster loss to LSU. Fulmer became lazy and recruited stars instead of needs....recruiting started going south in the early to mid 2000's. Too loyal to asst. coaches....Promoting Sanders to OC when he wasn't close to being ready but Fulmer could keep his thumb on him. Look at the program when coach Cutt was here and when he wasn't. Fulmer without Cutt was like a car without its 4th wheel. Fulmer lived the last several season off his equity for winning a NC. He was a UT guy who thought be would be there until he decided to leave.

You fire a coach that had won like Fulmer did you better have a good coach in your back pocket....and Hammy didn't. Most big name coaches wouldn't touch us with a 10 foot pole at that point...thus Kiffin who was looking for a job. When he left in the middle of the night our program became even more toxic and at that time the NCAA was snooping around the basketball program and the football program to some extent. Through all this we had a weak AD.

After that it was just a total cluster of epic proportions. Dooley KILLED the program.....KILLED it! There are posters on this board that wouldn't have damaged the program as much as Fooley did.
Nice of you to take the time to post this, but Volboy already knew all of this. He is a champion with expectations ;)

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 09:50:08 EDT »

I still say he ain't no Vol.

What? You don't have any expectations? If so, what are they? Or are you the type that doesn't like to be told something they don't like to hear? I guess Vol fans should not have expectations. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not legit.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 09:51:04 EDT »

How sad. So many Vols fans with no expectations. My how we have fallen.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:21:22 EDT »

Sorry folks. Just anxious for some fun times again at Neyland. This year is as good as any to start.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 12:16:35 EDT »

Hammy

Followed by

Vb

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 01:07:33 EDT »

What? You don't have any expectations? If so, what are they? Or are you the type that doesn't like to be told something they don't like to hear? I guess Vol fans should not have expectations. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it not legit.
I have expectations. Very high expectations. I don't ask the same question over & over again. Even the most casual Vol fan knows exactly what happened. Bama will drop off when Saban leaves. They may well have the greatest tradition of all time, but they take deep dives, too. UT has dropped off dramatically but historically is right there in the mix. In the modern era they have struggled with in state recruiting base as compared to bama, barn, lsu, florida. Hopefully that is changing. I think "we" are on the verge of great things, but the other big dogs won't just roll over.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:19 EDT »

How sad. So many Vols fans with no expectations. My how we have fallen.

You are quickly proving that you're nothing but a  3rd rate troll. I have some old posts from Chief Oceola, Merlin and JoeVols for you to study in order for you to improve your stock and ultimately our entertainment.

We up'd our game, so up yours

11B4PJ3F7
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016, 01:12:58 EDT »

I guess I feel the same way as most have intimated... When you get the chance to leave a bad situation in the past take it. We have already digested this heart burn. Why do it again? And the subject matter was not about expectations it was about regrets.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 01:15:05 EDT by tshadow » Logged
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016, 03:03:03 EDT »

It is never "one thing". But if you want to narrow it down to 1 thing, it's the coaches inability to bring in talent and develop it  that did us in, and it started with Fulmer who got complacent. Kiffin was a hired gun and recruited a bunch of thugs who couldn't stay out of trouble, and Dooley just recruited poorly, period.  Recruiting is the lifeblood of the program.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 04:46:10 EDT »

Zero players drafted--again!  Nuff said.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: