VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:31:28 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't know how you folks feel about things, but  (Read 9891 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2016, 05:23:16 EDT »

I think we're going to be unloading years of frustration this fall.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 05:29:10 EDT »

we can do that....that'll soothe some wounds for a while.           
10EC
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:59:25 EDT »

I think we're going to be unloading years of frustration this fall.

I am projecting the same thing.

But I thought that after the Iowa crushing too...
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 06:05:24 EDT »

Depends if our passing game and WRs are much improved. The good defenses....Bama, A&M, UGA, FL, Virginia Tech will load the box if it isn't.

Been hearing Butch say for 3 years our vertical passing game has to improve and it hasn't....Not holding my breath that it does.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 06:07:13 EDT »

I am projecting the same thing.

But I thought that after the Iowa crushing too...

Well here's what I've decided. No matter how many times I've been optimistic and had my hopes dashed, none of those times were 2016. 2016 is a new year with fresh hope and plenty of reason to be optimistic, and I'm determined not to let past failures drag me down. That's my life as a fan: optimism and homerism and I'm not letting anything take that away from me.

I'm in sort of fresh-outlook-on-life-mode all around and I'm making UT sports a part of that. WWFDT. All of them.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

10EC
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 06:26:28 EDT »

Well here's what I've decided. No matter how many times I've been optimistic and had my hopes dashed, none of those times were 2016. 2016 is a new year with fresh hope and plenty of reason to be optimistic, and I'm determined not to let past failures drag me down. That's my life as a fan: optimism and homerism and I'm not letting anything take that away from me.

I'm in sort of fresh-outlook-on-life-mode all around and I'm making UT sports a part of that. WWFDT. All of them.

Word...
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 12:56:36 EDT »

I salute you Clock, and am hoping for the same - partially because I don't want to see the fallout if we're not in Atlanta.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 02:27:03 EDT »

15-0
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 02:23:09 EDT »

YES!!!   

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 03:26:41 EDT »

Agreed, I'm feeling pretty good about the upcoming season.  If our defense can gel and if Shoop proves to be the real deal....   
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 04:11:55 EDT »

1. Defense wins championships
2. Offense is similar to '98 - mobile QB, strong running game, questionable passing but with significant threats
3. Defense wins championships
4. Serious threats in special teams
5. Did I mention the defense?
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:13:54 EDT »

Yes defense wins championships. But the last time I checked, you still have to score more points than your opponent to win. If you hold your opponent to 7 points and you score only 6 points, you lose. Give me a good defense and an offense that can score when given the opportunity, makes few mistakes and turnovers, and can make a first down late in the game and I will beat a great defense. So no a great defense does not always win a championship if the offense sucks or the coach plays not to lose rather than to win. UT has proven that numerous times.
Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:25 EDT »

I'm absolutely stoked about the defense. And while "defense wins championships" may not be an absolute statement, I don't think you'll find many teams that win championships without good defense. Oregon can attest to that. In fact, Nick Saban has made a legacy for himself with strong defenses and strong running games. This Tennessee team could have both. Saban has proven that if you have an average passing game, a strong defense and strong running game will do the rest. I'm not saying this team is going to win the national championship or even compete for it, because I don't think our OL will be as strong as the average Alabama OL, and that's a huge part of it, too. But I expect this team to be very, very good. If Butch grew up as much in the second half of the season last year as he seemed to and as we all hope he did, good things are in store for this team, and I expect to be playing in Atlanta when December rolls around. Anything less than that and I'll be bitterly disappointed.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:47:22 EDT »

I'll take a carbon copy of last year's defensive performance with one slight tweak: shore up 4th down.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 07:48:50 EDT »

For the first time in a long time we have a lot of beasts on defense, with experience on the DL. Secondary has some elite athletes. This defense should be very very good.

10EC
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 08:33:48 EDT »

For the first time in a long time we have a lot of beasts on defense, with experience on the DL. Secondary has some elite athletes. This defense should be very very good.

Is Tuttle going to be back and healthy?  I have not heard.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 08:35:56 EDT »

He's walking on it but I don't think he's playing football on it anytime soon. I've seen him on campus twice and haven't been terribly encouraged.

Thankfully Fall camp is still a ways off.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 04:15:58 EDT »

Butch said today he will be back at fall camp
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 01:01:58 EDT »

Butch said today he will be back at fall camp

Butch says (and doesn't say) a lot of things when it comes to injuries.  I'll believe he's back when I see him on the field in a game. 

In the meantime, we still owe that POS from UGA a big one.  A shredded knee for a shredded knee.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 01:55:28 EDT »

Knee injury recovery can take place in as little as 6 months, but the athlete usually isn't full speed for at least a year.  Of course, a DT needs speed less, but I am sure a knee would affect cutting and pushing which he definitely needs.  My guess is he will be back but not as effective, but might come on strong at the end of the season.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 03:47:17 EDT »

Wasn't his injury lower leg? If it was his knee I must have missed it.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 04:40:26 EDT »

Wasn't his injury lower leg? If it was his knee I must have missed it.

Yes it was a lower leg injury.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 04:41:50 EDT »

I was just following BDVs lead, but you are correct Tnphil

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2578764-shy-tuttle-injury-updates-on-tennessee-dts-leg-and-recovery

"broken fibula and torn ankle ligaments"

How ironic...Bleacherreport is accurate and BDV is not.   

I did have a broken fibula once also.  6 weeks to heal but recovery took another 3-4 months.  Being on crutches will atrophy you really fast.

I think Tuttle's recovery will depend on how well he can protect his ankle.  Those can linger forever.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: