VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 05:09:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst missed call in NBA history  (Read 3393 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2016, 01:45:10 EDT »

This is just typical Magic hyperbole because the Waiters’ push isn’t even close to being the worst playoff non-call. That distinction belongs to Michael Jordan's famous push off of Utah's Bryon Russell in 1998. That is the worst non-foul call in sports history.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/isola-magic-bird-basketball-royalty-acting-royal-pains-article-1.2623557

I agree!  A certain former poster would claim otherwise, but it shows how well some can deny reality.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 03:00:52 EDT »

The Jordan push-off may have been the worst in terms of its significance, but the Waiters elbow had to have been one of the worst in terms of blatancy. I don't know how you don't make that call. Yes, I'm a Spurs fan, and yes I'm well aware that Ginobili is a renowned flopper, which may have influenced the refs. But still. Make the call.

That didn't excuse the Spurs' complete collapse on their final possession, though.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 04:37:57 EDT »

The Jordan push-off may have been the worst in terms of its significance, but the Waiters elbow had to have been one of the worst in terms of blatancy. I don't know how you don't make that call. Yes, I'm a Spurs fan, and yes I'm well aware that Ginobili is a renowned flopper, which may have influenced the refs. But still. Make the call.

That didn't excuse the Spurs' complete collapse on their final possession, though.

I didn't see the Ginobili call, just commenting on the Jordan push.  A poster who doesn't come around much claims it was a clear non call, which is joke.   

I like the Spurs also. 

My favorite team is the Pacers and I agree with the author that Frank Vogel should not be fired.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 04:32:47 EDT »

I stopped watching any NBA games back in the 1990s when the refs stopped calling fouls or turnovers for: walking (2.5 steps OK, really?), physically assaulting your opponent, any fouls on the league stars, etc. It is not basketball any more; it is street ball without the honor system.  I hate that in all the pro leagues, the refs swallow the whistle in the last one or two minutes because "They do not want to decide a game." Hey buddy, you job is to enforce the rules and to call a foul or turnover right up until the final horn.

Refs miss calls every game.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 04:35:01 EDT »

What is this nba you refer to??

Hell, cricket is more exciting

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 04:51:54 EDT »

To each his own......I haven't watched a total of 2 hours of NBA in the past 30 plus years.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 05:42:37 EDT »

I'm not that in to the NBA either for many of the reasons cited. The Jordan non-call was the culmination in a way.  In the 80s, Magic and Bird were big stars and while they may have had calls go their way, it wasn't as egregious as what later occurred in the 90s, starting with Jordan but going to all the stars.

The last non-call of his last game symbolized it. He just flat shoved Russell out of the way and got away with it, but all the fawning media could talk about was how great he was and how that call would establish his legacy.  He didn't get that kind of treatment early in his career but by that time he certainly did.  I couldn't stand it.

It just got worse after that.  Kobe came into the league and was immediately anointed "the next Jordan" without having to earn it.  He is perhaps the most overrated "superstar" of all time, a ball-hogging me-first shooter who ran off teammates and even Phil Jackson. He leads the league in only one category for his career...shots taken, while having the 3rd lowest shooting percentage among the top 50 scorers in league history.  In no other category...rebounds, steals, assists, you name it, was he anyway exemplary.  He is the poster child for how low the league sank IMO. 

Anyway, i mostly agree with you guys, but I do still follow the Pacers a bit, especially in the playoffs. I'm loyal that way.

Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 10:18:29 EDT »

For the NBA to be so irrelevant, the haters sure do spend a lot of energy to tell everyone else why it's irrelevant. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: