VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 12:20:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a beer drinker. But occasionally, I lose my taste for beer.  (Read 13069 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2016, 02:01:25 EDT »

It's something I've dealt with for my entire life.  Sometimes, I just get sick of beer.  Everything from the highest rated craft brews to Milwaukee's Best taste like the same undrinkable swill.  I always get over it (usually in time for football season, coincidentally or not).  But I'm going through one of those phases right now.  

Anyway, this time I've replaced my beer vice with wine.  Now, as wine drinkers go, I've about as uneducated as you can get.  I'm no droner, by any reasoning.  In fact, I walked into Costco today and picked up a couple bottles:

http://www.wine.com/v6/Michael-David-Winery-Freakshow-Cabernet-Sauvignon-2012/wine/132754/Detail.aspx?state=CA

http://www.wine.com/v6/Francis-Ford-Coppola-Directors-Cabernet-Sauvignon-2013/wine/143965/Detail.aspx

Are these "good" wines?  I have no freaking idea.  And after drinking them, I'll probably STILL have no freaking idea.  But the first one has a really cool label.  Seriously, I'll probably keep this bottle to display in a mancave (whenever I get a house with a mancave).  And as for the second- well, it's named after Francis Ford Coppola.  He made a couple great (and one critically panned but still decent) Godfather movies, so it stands to reason he'd also make a great wine, right?..right?  That's how I shop for wine.  It has to be under 20 bucks, and the label has to catch my eye.  

Anyway...does anyone else just get sick of beer at times like I do?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:03:30 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 02:19:27 EDT »

If I lose my taste for beer please have me committed. Started drinking beer in the mid-60's....Falstaff....PBR...Old Milwaukee....Schlitz. I can't drink this fufu beer crap that's out there now. Beer shouldn't tasted like damn fruit....craft beer and IPA's should be banned and dumped in the ocean, IMO.

I've got a frig full of beer right now.....I assure you it's beer and not kool-aide tasting beer.

I stopped drinking liquor about 7 years ago because I drank it like water.....I'd go through 3-4 750Mil of Vodka every week and would barely get a buzz...had to put it down and don't miss it. Wine, cant help you....never cared for it.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 05:03:15 EDT »

I personally liked the Freakshow Cab.  You sure started with the hard stuff if you haven't drank wine before.  I like my Cab. with a nice inch to inch and a half medium rare ribeye!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 06:47:35 EDT »

It's simple - if you like it, it's good

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 04:23:27 EDT »

Cannot help anyone about wine. IMO there is NO such thing as a good wine. Just do not have the palate or desire to drink wine for any reason. If I ever ask for or order wine at dinner, please take me for immediate evaluation because I will have officially lost my mind.

Started drinking beer back in 1969 and have never lost my taste for it. I have changed my taste in the style of beers I now drink. Pilsner and light lagers tastes kinda flat and weak to me and can be sour and/or bitter IMO. Most IPAs (specifically the newer craft styles) use too much hops and the hops they use can add too much fruity flavor for my taste. Lite or light beer - well why bother. I can sometimes drink a wheat beer if it is unfiltered and German. Medium and dark ales are OK and pair well with some food. I prefer dark, heavy beer, with little hops taste like Porters and Stouts. Most Bock beers are OK unless they go crazy and drive the alcohol content up so high (trippelbock) it could be called wine.

When I go to a bar and they ask what I am drinking, my standard inappropriate response is: I like my beer like my personality and my women: Dark and bitter.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 05:37:45 EDT »

I'll drink wine but I can't tell the difference in two buck Chuck & top shelf wine... I can tell the difference in good & bad whiskey so I must not have refined my wine taste properly lol

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 06:27:17 EDT »

I've never had a beer that didn't taste like llama urine. So I don't blame you for losing your taste. 
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 07:50:55 EDT »

Well, I've never had llama urine, so I'll have to take your word for it.  Is it hoppy, like an IPA, or more refreshing, like a pilsener?  
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 08:50:13 EDT »

If I get a bit tired of beer I head for the UK (since the program is there instead of Germany) or just grab some Irish Red Ale

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 09:36:33 EDT »

I've never had either one of those but they get good ratings especially for the price. I buy wines at Costco and I've found them to be very good. But if there is something you like, you had better stock up because you might not be able to find the same wines the next time you go.

Welcome to the land of the oenophiles. Come into the light. All are welcome. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 12:46:44 EDT »

I have never loved beer, but I do like it.  Some of the craft beers are pretty good, I like the pilsners, don't care for the hoppy stuff.  I can't fathom why some like heavy IPA stuff, but oh well.

Although I drink beer,I have a friend  who used to call it "nectar of the gods". I would always correct him and say it was all pretty much horse piss.   

Anyone who says they drink it for the taste is in denial.  It's for the buzz.  If there was no alcohol in beer, no one would talk about how it tastes because no one would drink the shizzle.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 11:18:40 EDT »

If Creek and Bandit could expound on the differences between the nectar of the llama and horse it would be greatly appreciated. I don't drink, or milk animals with single teats, so I have nothing to add.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 02:42:54 EDT »

I've never had either one of those but they get good ratings especially for the price. I buy wines at Costco and I've found them to be very good. But if there is something you like, you had better stock up because you might not be able to find the same wines the next time you go.

Welcome to the land of the oenophiles. ome into the light. All are welcome. 

Yep.  We've found the Costco wines to be pretty solid, as well.  Really good for the price. 

We've also found the whites from Trader Joe's (Charles Shaw is the winery) a great value, too.  Trader Joe's reds leave a lot to be desired, however. 

We'll be happy when grocery stores in Tennessee can begin selling wine on July 1 so we don't have to look like a bootlegger when we leave Costco and Trader Joe's every time we are out of state. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 02:52:21 EDT »

If Creek and Bandit could expound on the differences between the nectar of the llama and horse it would be greatly appreciated. I don't drink, or milk animals with single teats, so I have nothing to add.

They are both hoofed animals who feed on grain, so their piss is very similar.  Hope this helps. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 03:00:51 EDT »

Yep.  We've found the Costco wines to be pretty solid, as well.  Really good for the price. 

We've also found the whites from Trader Joe's (Charles Shaw is the winery) a great value, too.  Trader Joe's reds leave a lot to be desired, however. 

We'll be happy when grocery stores in Tennessee can begin selling wine on July 1 so we don't have to look like a bootlegger when we leave Costco and Trader Joe's every time we are out of state. 

I haven't been keeping up with the progress of this new law, but the last I heard, they were going to limit retailers to only two licenses state-wide to protect mom and pop liqour stores.  Is that still the case, or has sanity prevailed?

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 03:09:40 EDT »

I haven't been keeping up with the progress of this new law, but the last I heard, they were going to limit retailers to only two licenses state-wide to protect mom and pop liqour stores.  Is that still the case, or has sanity prevailed?

No.  Pretty much every grocery store will have the ability to sell wine, as long as it was approved in a city and/or county referendum. 

Knoxville City and Knox County both passed it with ease. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 03:41:50 EDT »

Thanks Bandit! That is exceptionally useful information. Apparently the Domesticated Animal Urine of the Month Club has more members than I realized.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 04:00:29 EDT »

I cannot comment on horse piss. But I was once lost in the desert and forced to resort to drinking llama urine, and it tasted remarkably like beer.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 02:41:16 EDT »

I drink beer by the gallon, but  I drink Stouts almost exclusively. Guinness is my staple, and it only has 4.4% alcohol, so I would drink that regardless if it had alcohol in it or not. I love me some beer
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:47:56 EDT by FLVOL » Logged

11B4PJ3F7
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 07:30:51 EDT »

If I lose my taste for beer please have me committed. Started drinking beer in the mid-60's....Falstaff....PBR...Old Milwaukee....Schlitz. I can't drink this fufu beer crap that's out there now. Beer shouldn't tasted like damn fruit....craft beer and IPA's should be banned and dumped in the ocean, IMO.

I've got a frig full of beer right now.....I assure you it's beer and not kool-aide tasting beer.

I stopped drinking liquor about 7 years ago because I drank it like water.....I'd go through 3-4 750Mil of Vodka every week and would barely get a buzz...had to put it down and don't miss it. Wine, cant help you....never cared for it.

Craft beer and fruity beer are not at all the same thing, and what you're drinking tastes more like water than beer-- IMO, of course. I'm beyond criticizing people for what they drink these days, so if that's what you like, good for you. We'll agree to disagree.

I don't drink fruity beers either but I drink beer that has flavor. Malt, hops-- those are what beer should taste like and you don't get either from the mass-produced American swill. This is what's in my fridge right now: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/7463/

With that said, like BDV I get tired of beer sometimes. I'm in one of those periods now, and for the last year+ I've barely had any. I'll drink wine sometimes, but more than anything I drink whisky these days.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 08:44:49 EDT »

Craft beer and fruity beer are not at all the same thing, and what you're drinking tastes more like water than beer-- IMO, of course. I'm beyond criticizing people for what they drink these days, so if that's what you like, good for you. We'll agree to disagree.

I don't drink fruity beers either but I drink beer that has flavor. Malt, hops-- those are what beer should taste like and you don't get either from the mass-produced American swill. This is what's in my fridge right now: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/7463/

With that said, like BDV I get tired of beer sometimes. I'm in one of those periods now, and for the last year+ I've barely had any. I'll drink wine sometimes, but more than anything I drink whisky these days.

I said I grew up on those beers...I didn't say I still drink them. 99.9999% of the beer in my frig at all times are imports. Most are German.....some from Japan and some from Italy. Very seldom do I have a domestic beer.

Also I enjoy some good high alcohol beer too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:49:38 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 09:55:20 EDT »

It's simple - if you like it, it's good

It really is that simple.  My wife just got some wine in a box, and damn if it is not one of my favs.  One key to stop the beer disliking phase is to not drink that much!  I just have not been drinking "beverages" all that much for quite some time.  I guess i am still drying out from the college days!!!

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 10:38:34 EDT »

I cannot comment on horse piss. But I was once lost in the desert and forced to resort to drinking llama urine, and it tasted remarkably like beer.

Hmmm...llamas are native to the Andes mountains - they don't do so well in the desert.  Are you sure you weren't drinking camel urine?  Were there subtle notes of date and falafel?  I'm sure Bandit can elaborate on the subtle differences. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 10:40:48 EDT »

Hmmm...llamas are native to the Andes mountains - they don't do so well in the desert.  Are you sure you weren't drinking camel urine?  Were there subtle notes of date and falafel?  I'm sure Bandit can elaborate on the subtle differences. 

You ever see a car driving through Tennessee with a Roll Tide sticker in the window?

I give you llamas in the desert.
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 12:50:29 EDT »

You ever see a car driving through Tennessee with a Roll Tide sticker in the window?

I give you llamas in the desert.

Just to geek it out (or beat the piss out of a dead camel), from Wikipedia:

"Camel" is also used more broadly to describe any of the six camel-like mammals in the family Camelidae: the two true camels and the four New World camelids: the llama, alpaca, guanaco, and vicuña of South America.

So there you have it - a llama IS, in fact, a camel.  My guess is their urines taste quite similar, but again, I'll defer to Bandit's expertise.   

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: