VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 02:38:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our season opener has been moved to Thursday night, 9/1...  (Read 9877 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2016, 08:34:54 EDT »

Which means I won't be going.

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Bolt/JUST-IN-Vols-season-opener-moved-45419645

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 08:38:07 EDT »

Well selfishly I love it, there are some great games that first weekend and Thursday night at Neyland means I'll be able to watch them all that Saturday.

Plus more time for the team to prepare for the BoB.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:40:10 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:45:48 EDT »

This has never been attempted at UT before.  Seeing as, unlike at most places, the vast majority of our fans park (and tailgate) off campus, I can't imagine how that will be affected.  All those parking lots for businesses that are normally closed (and thus open to game parking) on the weekends are going to be off limits, I assume.  It's going to be a royal mess, IYAM.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 08:47:23 EDT »

This has never been attempted at UT before.  Seeing as, unlike at most places, the vast majority of our fans park (and tailgate) off campus, I can't imagine how that will be affected.  All those parking lots for businesses that are normally closed (and thus open to game parking) on the weekends are going to be off limits, I assume.  It's going to be a royal mess, IYAM.

Yeah, that part of it will not be awesome.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 09:03:44 EDT »

Much will have to be sorted out to make this work. I'm shocked they're doing it.

But assuming I'll have to work that day and will already be on campus with a parking spot . . . I am going to go to this one for sure. Tailgate in my office!

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:34 EDT »

I'm looking forward to it. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 09:06:04 EDT »

I wasn't going either way - frees up my Saturday to watch one of the other great games on.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 09:11:41 EDT »

Vols, Vandy, and Titans games all airing at the same time.  I guess the ratings will reveal whose state this really is.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 09:13:41 EDT »

Vols, Vandy, and Titans games all airing at the same time.  I guess the ratings will reveal whose state this really is.

It ain't Vandy's

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 09:23:19 EDT »

It ain't Vandy's

No, but they'll be playing to a national audience on ESPN, while we're playing on SECN.  So even  though our ratings will dwarf theirs in-state (and probably in the SE region), they'll have the bigger national numbers.  And don't think the Don Yates of the world won't beat us over the head with it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 09:24:23 EDT »

The Titans game is an exhibition so ratings will be really low.

It would be interesting to see Vols head to head vs an actual NFL game with the Titans, but my guess is that any random NFL game will draw a larger national audience so the Titans game would probably be rated better if it were an actual regular season game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 09:27:06 EDT »

""At the end of the deliberations all were supportive of moving forward with the game on Thursday night ahead of the barrage of games to follow throughout the Labor Day weekend. This change will also assist us with logistical considerations connected with the Battle at Bristol the following weekend which involves several of our staff who are assisting with that event.""

This is probably the biggest reason they did it.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 09:36:56 EDT »

No, but they'll be playing to a national audience on ESPN, while we're playing on SECN.  So even  though our ratings will dwarf theirs in-state (and probably in the SE region), they'll have the bigger national numbers.  And don't think the Don Yates of the world won't beat us over the head with it.

Not sure they will have bigger national numbers.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 09:44:05 EDT »

This will be the first opener I have missed in almost 20 years

It is called WORK!
So as to pay the high prices to attend the freaking games

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 11:13:34 EDT »

Which means I won't be going. 

I hate it, and now it will be impossible for me to go. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2016, 11:46:17 EDT »

This sucks. I only have definite plans to come to Appy State and Mizzou, though I will probably make my way up for UF and Bammer and will definitely be at Vandy... but Appy State was the game I was going to bring the kids to. That's not happening now unless we stay the whole weekend or something.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2016, 11:53:45 EDT »

This sucks. I only have definite plans to come to Appy State and Mizzou, though I will probably make my way up for UF and Bammer and will definitely be at Vandy... but Appy State was the game I was going to bring the kids to. That's not happening now unless we stay the whole weekend or something.

I'm guessing Hart is going to be getting an earful from a lot of people on this.  I just don't see how a Thursday night game is even logistically possible in Knoxville.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 12:02:01 EDT »

I'm guessing Hart is going to be getting an earful from a lot of people on this.  I just don't see how a Thursday night game is even logistically possible in Knoxville.
They thought it through, except for the consideration of the non local Knoxville fans

Butch said it was either Thursday or noon Saturday
I choose the latter

BTW, if we are going to move the game, at least get on espn national coverage!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 12:11:45 EDT »

They thought it through, except for the consideration of the non local Knoxville fans

Butch said it was either Thursday or noon Saturday
I choose the latter

BTW, if we are going to move the game, at least get on espn national coverage!

ESPN is never going to put someone like Appy State on Thrusday night.  This game was always ticketed for the SECN, no matter the timeslot. 

But I still don't know how all this is going to work.  Are all those parking lots downtown and in the Fort going to be closed to game parking until 5PM? 

Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 12:49:17 EDT »

It could be worse. Could be on Friday, like the deal Dooley put together with NCSU.

I think it'll be fun, if for no reason other than it's different. But I understand the frustration of non-local fans. I'll buy your tickets. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 01:08:37 EDT »

It could be worse. Could be on Friday, like the deal Dooley put together with NCSU.

I think it'll be fun, if for no reason other than it's different. But I understand the frustration of non-local fans. I'll buy your tickets. 

For one thing, that wasn't a home game.  And IMO Friday's better anyway, because most of us don't have to work the next day. 

BTW, we're going to get screwed again when we go to ATL next season.  They alreaday lined up a second game (bammer/FSU, a game that wasn't scheduled until AFTER we signed up to play GT down there- just like in 2012).  So that game is being played on Saturday, and we're getting Monday (Labor Day).  So now that Atlanta has fizzleed us over TWICE, I say in the future we tell them to go pound sand.  There are a lot of other neutral sites we can go to instead- Bristol, Charlotte, Dallas, etc.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 03:57:23 EDT »

I have no idea if it's true...but I saw it posted on another site that some folks already had hotel reservations and the hotels wouldn't let them change or let them out?

If true....I'd be pi$$ed.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 08:03:57 EDT »

I have no idea if it's true...but I saw it posted on another site that some folks already had hotel reservations and the hotels wouldn't let them change or let them out?

If true....I'd be pi$$ed.

Hotels usually have a cancellation policy of 24 or 48 hours.  If they make an exception in this case, people can dispute it through their credit cards, probably successfully. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:56 EDT »

When UNC did it a few years ago they made us leave early so that they could take our parking spots.😮

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2016, 02:52:11 EDT »

When UNC did it a few years ago they made us leave early so that they could take our parking spots.😮

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

So CO might get a part day off. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: