VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 11:37:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So they're starting to talk about conference expansion/realignment again  (Read 5523 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2016, 04:45:07 EDT »

Apparently the Big 12 is looking to expand to...12 (duh) and that will set some dominoes in motion.  Anyway, every one of these predictions I've seen have the SEC taking OU and someone else out west (the most laughable of which is tiger high).

Is that the direction you'd go if you were in charge?  Let's assume we want to expand to 16, and can have anyone we want (because as more time passes and other teams' conference buyouts get lower, we probably CAN have almost anyone we want).  I would take two from the ACC- one school from NC (preferably UNC) and one from VA (VT would be the better cultural fit, but UVa would be acceptable, too).  Put them both in the East division and send Mizzou to the West, where they belong. 

Those are the last two big states in our footprint in which we still don't have a presence, and it would add more eyeballs (and cable rights fees) to the SECN. 

OK is a small state that would bring little to the table money wise, and does the West divison REALLY need another perennial national power?  There is no one else out west (save for Lil' ut, and they're not coming) that would add much to this league. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 05:20:50 EDT »

1 - Swap Mizzou and Auburn - mizzou to the west, Auburn to the east
2 - Take Oklahoma in the west
3 - Take Clemson in the East.

Both these schools are football schools and play SEC style ball with SEC type athletes

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 05:23:15 EDT »

Memphis, along with Fred Smith's and FedEx money, is a good bet to get an invitation to the Big 12. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:56:36 EDT »

Both these schools are football schools and play SEC style ball with SEC type athletes

i'm good with this

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 07:00:02 EDT »

But expansion these days isn't really about taking the best teams, it's about bringing in new money.  NC and VA are two big states (#9 and #12 by population in the US, respectively) where we don't currently have a presence.  Adding teams in those states grows the SECN and the rest of our media deals.  OK is a small state that brings little, and SC is a small state where we already have a presence.  IMO, if we're going to expand in a state where the SEC is already established, Texas and FSU would be the only two schools worth pursuing.  But NC and and VA should take priority.  

And really, this league is tough enough as it is.  I really don't care to bring in more national powers at this point.  

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 07:03:28 EDT »

Memphis, along with Fred Smith's and FedEx money, is a good bet to get an invitation to the Big 12. 

And they're welcome to them.  They'll just be another hungry mouth to feed that will bring little money into that league, yet will demand an equal share when it comes time to hand out the checks.  I guess that's a price the B12 is willing to pay to get to 12 members and hold a championship game again.  Thankfully, the SEC is in a position to be more selective.

IMO, the B12 and ACC will cease to exist (at least as we know them) within 20 years, anyway.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 03:22:16 EDT »

But expansion these days isn't really about taking the best teams, it's about bringing in new money.  NC and VA are two big states (#9 and #12 by population in the US, respectively) where we don't currently have a presence.  Adding teams in those states grows the SECN and the rest of our media deals.  OK is a small state that brings little, and SC is a small state where we already have a presence.  IMO, if we're going to expand in a state where the SEC is already established, Texas and FSU would be the only two schools worth pursuing.  But NC and and VA should take priority.  

And really, this league is tough enough as it is.  I really don't care to bring in more national powers at this point.  

Your points are valid, but I'm just stating what I'd like to see. Yeah it would make it even tougher that is for sure. If we go with VA  or UNC though, you're talking about two schools that are more basketball schools. They'd be reaching a bigger market for sure, and are better academic schools (when they're not cheating )

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:58:14 EDT »

And they're welcome to them.  They'll just be another hungry mouth to feed that will bring little money into that league, yet will demand an equal share when it comes time to hand out the checks.  I guess that's a price the B12 is willing to pay to get to 12 members and hold a championship game again.  Thankfully, the SEC is in a position to be more selective.

IMO, the B12 and ACC will cease to exist (at least as we know them) within 20 years, anyway.
Two words:Brick Town besides, other than the outcome I enjoyed our trip to Norman
Also, beating the rat bastards on a yearly basis would be double sweet

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 02:57:45 EDT »

I'm with BDV. Put VA and NC in our footprint and forget expanding further west. Adding 2 of UVA, VT, UNC, NCSU does that and even if you don't get either AAU school the other two have strong academics, particularly in STEM. While that isn't a determining factor it doesn't hurt. Mizzou and A&M were both good additions in that way.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 03:42:50 EDT »

Expanding into Virginia and NC would finally complete the Old Confederacy.  The conference could be renamed the CFC.   

Jokes aside, I don't think UNC will leave the ACC.  They mostly care about basketball.  This is also true to a lesser extent of Virginia, though they may be more amenable.

The best bet would appear to be NC State and Virginia Tech, but again, NC State is all about basketball and their rivalry with UNC.  I don't see them coming over either.

While OU is a small state, they are a national brand and have a big time stadium that they fill up.  Those things matter.   I could see Va Tech and OU, but I actually partially agree with BDV...the SEC is strong enough as it is.  OTOH, what's wrong with a bit more competition?

But here is what I will say...VaTech seems like a great candidate.  They would bring in some of the DC market in addition to Virginia.  But I just can't see any major NC school coming to the SEC.  I would say VaTech and possibly Maryland or Louisville.

It sure would be nice to fill in with one from NC, but I don't see it happening.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 03:46:32 EDT »

Expanding into Virginia and NC would finally complete the Old Confederacy.  The conference could be renamed the CFC.   

Jokes aside, I don't think UNC will leave the ACC.  They mostly care about basketball.  This is also true to a lesser extent of Virginia, though they may be more amenable.

The best bet would appear to be NC State and Virginia Tech, but again, NC State is all about basketball and their rivalry with UNC.  I don't see them coming over either.

While OU is a small state, they are a national brand and have a big time stadium that they fill up.  Those things matter.   I could see Va Tech and OU, but I actually partially agree with BDV...the SEC is strong enough as it is.  OTOH, what's wrong with a bit more competition?

But here is what I will say...VaTech seems like a great candidate.  They would bring in some of the DC market in addition to Virginia.  But I just can't see any major NC school coming to the SEC.  I would say VaTech and possibly Maryland or Louisville.

It sure would be nice to fill in with one from NC, but I don't see it happening.

I kind of agree but you could have made the same arguments about Texas A&M leaving Texas and their other state/regional rivals to come to the SEC. I wouldn't have thought that possible a few years ago.

I'd take VT and NCSU and call it a day if they were willing. If UVA and UNC are too uppity about academics or basketball to join the SEC, then they can suck it when their in-state rivals start to dominate them due to the SEC halo effect.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 03:53:50 EDT »

I wasn't even thinking about basketball, but now that you mention it- bringing in a couple hoops schools is hardly a bad thing.  Everyone complains that the SEC doesn't get enough respect on selection Sunday anyway.  Adding any of those schools (save for VT) would help.  A LOT in UNC's case.  I'd even take Duke, though I doubt they'd leave the ACC.  The only ACC school in NC I wouldn't want is WF. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 02:50:48 EDT »

I wasn't even thinking about basketball, but now that you mention it- bringing in a couple hoops schools is hardly a bad thing.  Everyone complains that the SEC doesn't get enough respect on selection Sunday anyway.  Adding any of those schools (save for VT) would help.  A LOT in UNC's case.  I'd even take Duke, though I doubt they'd leave the ACC.  The only ACC school in NC I wouldn't want is WF. 

Ha, I forgot about Dook.  I wouldn't mind them either, especially with Cut coaching, but if there is a team that won't leave the ACC, it's probably dook.  Don't you know that they are actually an ivy league school?  Way too good for the SEC 

But combining your comment with COs, one reason Tamu came over is the bs that Texas was pulling about getting more money than other members of the B12 and also having their own network.  While not quite equivalent, NC State may be sick of the obvious cheating at UNC and even though the rivalry is a big one, it's definitely overshadowed by dook-tarholes.   NC State may very well be tired of being the third wheel.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 03:31:26 EDT »

Well, to be clear, I don't see any of this happening anytime soon.  The ACC's grant of rights deal runs another ten years.  And by then, I think that a new economic reality is going to hit college sports, as the big TV bubble we're currently in will burst (the recent decline in ESPN's subscribers suggests this may already have started).  I think the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 12 are best equipped to weather this storm.  The ACC and Big 12?  They're going to be in trouble.  And as their media rights deals near expiration, I think a lot of those schools will start looking for a life preserver.  Schools like UNC and UVA may not be interested in moving now, but give it time.  Heck, if both those leagues go belly-up as I think they will, we might be in a position to take more than two.  In another decade or so, the SEC may become an 18 or even 20 team league, as the "power 5" becomes a power 3. 

But getting back to Duke, they could bring a lot to this league, even though by the time all this theoretically happens, Cut and Coach K would most certainly be long gone.  They not only bring arguably the biggest name brand going in basketball, but their football program has a bit more tradition than you may realize.  Wallace Wade and Spurrier coached there, after all.  They would have a lot of catching up to do facility-wise, though (seriously, their football stadium makes Vandy's look like a palace).

I still would prefer UNC, however.  They have bigger fanbase and excel in many sports other than basketball (as they should, seeing as their athletes apparently don't even have to go to class  ).

And as previously mentioned, landing a school in Virginia would deliver not just that state, but also the DC market.  That means our media reach would extend all the way up into Maryland.  Hello, Big 10 country!  Enjoy your daily dose of Finebaum.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 05:09:11 EDT »

Well, to be clear, I don't see any of this happening anytime soon.  The ACC's grant of rights deal runs another ten years.  And by then, I think that a new economic reality is going to hit college sports, as the big TV bubble we're currently in will burst (the recent decline in ESPN's subscribers suggests this may already have started).  I think the SEC, Big 10, and Pac 12 are best equipped to weather this storm.  The ACC and Big 12?  They're going to be in trouble.  And as their media rights deals near expiration, I think a lot of those schools will start looking for a life preserver.  Schools like UNC and UVA may not be interested in moving now, but give it time.  Heck, if both those leagues go belly-up as I think they will, we might be in a position to take more than two.  In another decade or so, the SEC may become an 18 or even 20 team league, as the "power 5" becomes a power 3. 

But getting back to Duke, they could bring a lot to this league, even though by the time all this theoretically happens, Cut and Coach K would most certainly be long gone.  They not only bring arguably the biggest name brand going in basketball, but their football program has a bit more tradition than you may realize.  Wallace Wade and Spurrier coached there, after all.  They would have a lot of catching up to do facility-wise, though (seriously, their football stadium makes Vandy's look like a palace).

I still would prefer UNC, however.  They have bigger fanbase and excel in many sports other than basketball (as they should, seeing as their athletes apparently don't even have to go to class  ).

And as previously mentioned, landing a school in Virginia would deliver not just that state, but also the DC market.  That means our media reach would extend all the way up into Maryland.  Hello, Big 10 country!  Enjoy your daily dose of Finebaum.

I don't see either UNC or dook ever coming over.  They are pretty much basketball schools.  I don't think Kentucky by itself is enough of a  lure in that sense.

I did forget above that Maryland is B10 now, which is one of the weirder moves in recent years.  It would be sweet to steal one from the B10.  I don't really have that much of a personal interest in Maryland, but they are in a great TV market, have a good bball program and a decent football tradition.  And Maryland fits the profile of the other border states of Kentucky and Mizzou.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: