VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:23:44 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Give me your top 5 superhero movies  (Read 6481 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2016, 06:25:14 EDT »

Mine:

1- The Dark Knight
 2 - The Avengers
 3 - Captain America: Civil War
 4 - Blade
 5 - Batman Begins
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:28:26 EDT »

Mine:

1- The Dark Knight
 2 - The Avengers
 3 - Captain America: Civil War
 4 - Blade
 5 - Batman Begins

I'd kick Blade out in favor of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and might quibble on the order, but ranking them is tough. Otherwise, good list.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:54:02 EDT »

1. Batman Begins - Big fan of Nolan, but the other Batman movies seemed to get lost in a too convoluted premise, IMO.  There was the 2 ferry boat dilemma which was a hair silly, and then you have the 'all cops trapped underground' premise, which was too contrived for me.  Otherwise those 2 films were quite good - Heath Ledger and all.  Tom Hardy is another fav of mine, but his Bane seemed to be somewhat of a miss.

2. Ironman - Close to being #1 for me.  I loved the patience the film took in developing the 'hero'.

3. Superman the Movie, or whatever it was called.  A little campy and colorful, like a comic book story should be, no?  I thought Glenn Ford was the best Pa Kent ever.  Some people ridicule Marlon Brando's role, but I liked it.

4. Avengers - Hard to rank all of these, but it was really cool to see it all come together.  Civil War & Winter Soldier could be in here also.

5. Greatest American Hero - Am I joking, or not?  I'm not even sure myself.  Sam Raimi's first Spiderman probably deserves to be on the list......

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 08:58:08 EDT »

Damn, how could I forget Toxic Avenger???

1. Batman Begins - Big fan of Nolan, but the other Batman movies seemed to get lost in a too convoluted premise, IMO.  There was the 2 ferry boat dilemma which was a hair silly, and then you have the 'all cops trapped underground' premise, which was too contrived for me.  Otherwise those 2 films were quite good - Heath Ledger and all.  Tom Hardy is another fav of mine, but his Bane seemed to be somewhat of a miss.

2. Ironman - Close to being #1 for me.  I loved the patience the film took in developing the 'hero'.

3. Superman the Movie, or whatever it was called.  A little campy and colorful, like a comic book story should be, no?  I thought Glenn Ford was the best Pa Kent ever.  Some people ridicule Marlon Brando's role, but I liked it.

4. Avengers - Hard to rank all of these, but it was really cool to see it all come together.  Civil War & Winter Soldier could be in here also.

5. Greatest American Hero - Am I joking, or not?  I'm not even sure myself.  Sam Raimi's first Spiderman probably deserves to be on the list......

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:37:42 EDT »

1-3. (tie) Spiderman 1-3 with Tobey MacGuire
4. Guardians of the Galaxy (how did you guys miss this one?)
5. The second of the latest Batman trilogy (but not a fan of the first or third at all)

Honorable mention...any of the Iron Man movies, the first Thor movie and the first FF

Near the bottom...X-men movies.  Way too heavy and serious, and most of them also moved verrrrryyyyyy slllllloooowwwwwllllyyy

Disclaimer...I a huge Spidey fan.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 10:10:33 EDT »

1-3. (tie) Spiderman 1-3 with Tobey MacGuire
4. Guardians of the Galaxy (how did you guys miss this one?)
5. The second of the latest Batman trilogy (but not a fan of the first or third at all)

Honorable mention...any of the Iron Man movies, the first Thor movie and the first FF

Near the bottom...X-men movies.  Way too heavy and serious, and most of them also moved verrrrryyyyyy slllllloooowwwwwllllyyy

Disclaimer...I a huge Spidey fan.   

I disagree with most of what you wrote here, but GOTG does deserve at least honorable mention. It was great.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 10:58:38 EDT »

Ugggh.  Don't get me started.  The superhero craze is currently #2 on list of things that piss me off (#1 is the bastardization of the martini.  But I digress).

I consider myself a bigger geek than most.  But I am SO OVER the superhero craze.  It was fun for a while.  Nolan's Batman movies did a fine job erasing the memory of those Tim Burton abominations.  The first two Spiderman movies (the ones with Toby McGuire, not the reboot of the reboot of the reboot) were pretty good.  But they're really taking it overboard now.  

When is the last time there wasn't a Marvel movie showing in theaters?  I'm pretty sure we've beaten UF since then.

And it would be one thing if it were just real, well known superheroes.  You know, your Supermans, your Batmans, your Spidermans.  But I've never even heard of some of these:

Deadpool- Isn't that a band?
Guardians of the Galaxy- Originally titled "Muppets in Space".  True story.
Antman- Antman?  ANTMAN?  Really?  That's a thing?  BS.  You just made that up.

And as if we weren't being bombarded enough in theaters, now they're all over TV, too.  I tried to watch Agents of SHIELD when it began.  But it totally lost me after about a half dozen episodes.  I wasn't sure who was a good guy and who was bad, or which alternate universe we were seeing this week.  

I even gave Supergirl a chance- mainly because the girl in the leading role is a freaking smokeshow.  But even she couldn't save this dumpster fire.  This show is almost as dumb as Under the Dome.  I don't say that lightly.

Enough already.  This fad should've died a LONG time ago.  

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:00:48 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 11:54:23 EDT »

Robert Downey Jr. is the perfect choice for Ironman. And I like the avenger movies choice of hulk however I sure wish there was a better hulk movie put out. Eric Banas not a bad choice but Ed Norton? Give me break.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 12:42:46 EDT »

Ugggh.  Don't get me started.  The superhero craze is currently #2 on list of things that piss me off (#1 is the bastardization of the martini.  But I digress).

I consider myself a bigger geek than most.  But I am SO OVER the superhero craze.  It was fun for a while.  Nolan's Batman movies did a fine job erasing the memory of those Tim Burton abominations.  The first two Spiderman movies (the ones with Toby McGuire, not the reboot of the reboot of the reboot) were pretty good.  But they're really taking it overboard now.  

When is the last time there wasn't a Marvel movie showing in theaters?  I'm pretty sure we've beaten UF since then.

And it would be one thing if it were just real, well known superheroes.  You know, your Supermans, your Batmans, your Spidermans.  But I've never even heard of some of these:

And as if we weren't being bombarded enough in theaters, now they're all over TV, too.  I tried to watch Agents of SHIELD when it began.  But it totally lost me after about a half dozen episodes.  I wasn't sure who was a good guy and who was bad, or which alternate universe we were seeing this week.  

I even gave Supergirl a chance- mainly because the girl in the leading role is a freaking smokeshow.  But even she couldn't save this dumpster fire.  This show is almost as dumb as Under the Dome.  I don't say that lightly.

No no! Love the marvel stuff, and it is no fad, it is here to stay!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 12:52:30 EDT »

No no! Love the marvel stuff, and it is no fad, it is here to stay!

It's very well done.

BDV why are comic books a bad source material for action movies, in your opinion? I mean that's all they are, and if they're well done I'll keep watching them.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 01:34:59 EDT »

It's very well done.

BDV why are comic books a bad source material for action movies, in your opinion? I mean that's all they are, and if they're well done I'll keep watching them.

They aren't, necessarily.  But I've seen a few of the Marvel movies, and with the exception of the first Iron Man (which I didn't hate), they were all WAY too convoluted and hard to follow.  Thor was ridiculous.  The Avengers?  I'm still not sure if the real bad guy was a weird space viking or a giant robotic centipede.  I still get motion sickness just thinking about that final scene.  That shaky single cam and all the motion blur were hard to watch (incidentally, that's one of the things I appreciated about The Force Awakens: Unlike most of today's action films, its big effects sequences were easy to visually follow).  Iron Man 2?  I still have no idea what that movie was about. 

But the quality (or lack thereof) isn't my real beef.  It's the quantity.  Do we really need 7-8 big budget superhero movies a year?  When I was a kid, I loved the original Superman movies.  The ones with Christopher Reeves.  They were different than anything else at the time, so when they came out, it was an event.  These days, it's almost an event when you get a well-made action movie that DOESN'T feature a flying man in tights.

I guess I just want Hollywood to show a little more creativity and originality. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 04:41:56 EDT »

To say it's not overdone would be silly. It is, but it's making them a lot of money.

My biggest peeve is the Spidey reboot.  Not very well done, didn't like the new actor, and way too soon.  They should have stuck with Maguire and Dunst a while longer.  Having said that, the Spidey reboot movies are still watchable.  I watched Supergirl for mostly the same reason as you, lol.  But I stuck it out to the end.  Yes a lot of it was dumb and at times trended into left feminist politics but Benoist was just good enough to keep me watching.  What helped is that as the season rolled along, they apparently realized it was not going to make it back to NBC and they went ahead and accelerated most of the major plotlines, so it got better towards the end.

I should also note that I don't hate Batman Begins (it's just kind of slow) or the third one with Baine but Batman's comeback was improbable and really so was the entire plotline.  Now....I know it's kind of ridiculous to say a plot line is improbable in a super hero movie (lol).  But what I mean is, given Blaine's powers, there is no way he should have been that difficult to defeat.  I kept thinking, WTF, this should have been over in 15 minutes but they dragged it out for 2 hours.

Another disclaimer...I grew up a huge Marvel fan so I love almost all their movies.  Didn't care nearly as much for DC, in fact actively disliked them, but the second Batman in the recent series really was good.

Also, I would or could probably rate some of the other Marvel movies higher, but...no joke...there have been so many I can't remember them all well enough to make distinctions.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 04:45:24 EDT »

Oh shizzle...speaking of DC ...The Watchman was amazing.  I read the graphic novel series when it came out and it was and is amazing.  By far the grittiest realism in super hero comics by a mile. The movie wasn't perfect but it capture the visuals from the comic series very well.  My only gripe was that they changed "the threat" from a fake alien to Dr. Manhattan.  Other than that it was really good.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 01:28:45 EDT »

BTW, Netflix just announced that they have struck a deal to be the exclusive streaming home of Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm movies.  I'm sure such deals don't come cheap- nothing ever does with Disney.  I really hope a rate hike isn't in the offing.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 05:56:21 EDT »

BTW, Netflix just announced that they have struck a deal to be the exclusive streaming home of Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm movies.  I'm sure such deals don't come cheap- nothing ever does with Disney.  I really hope a rate hike isn't in the offing.

They will hike their rates for sure.
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 07:16:48 EDT »

Mine:

1. The Dark Knight - still my all time favorite. Ledger played the Joker role to perfection, IMO.
2. Superman: The Movie (Christopher Reeve) - may be a bit nostalgia for me, but I've always loved that movie.
3. Ironman - Agree with an earlier comment about RDJ being a perfect fit for that character.
4. The Avengers - Hard to have a great movie with multiple superheros as the main characters. This one pulled it off, IMO.
5. Captain America: Winter Soldier - Almost put this at #4. Great movie

One of my favorite movies that may not fit into this category is Unbreakable, with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. It's a M. Night Shyamalan movie, but unlike most of his crapfests, it's pretty good. Again, this probably doesn't fit into this category, but may be considered a 'superhero' movie of sorts.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 01:48:28 EDT »

To say it's not overdone would be silly. It is, but it's making them a lot of money.

My biggest peeve is the Spidey reboot.  Not very well done, didn't like the new actor, and way too soon.  They should have stuck with Maguire and Dunst a while longer.  Having said that, the Spidey reboot movies are still watchable.  I watched Supergirl for mostly the same reason as you, lol.  But I stuck it out to the end.  Yes a lot of it was dumb and at times trended into left feminist politics but Benoist was just good enough to keep me watching.  What helped is that as the season rolled along, they apparently realized it was not going to make it back to NBC and they went ahead and accelerated most of the major plotlines, so it got better towards the end.

I should also note that I don't hate Batman Begins (it's just kind of slow) or the third one with Baine but Batman's comeback was improbable and really so was the entire plotline.  Now....I know it's kind of ridiculous to say a plot line is improbable in a super hero movie (lol).  But what I mean is, given Blaine's powers, there is no way he should have been that difficult to defeat.  I kept thinking, WTF, this should have been over in 15 minutes but they dragged it out for 2 hours.

Another disclaimer...I grew up a huge Marvel fan so I love almost all their movies.  Didn't care nearly as much for DC, in fact actively disliked them, but the second Batman in the recent series really was good.

Also, I would or could probably rate some of the other Marvel movies higher, but...no joke...there have been so many I can't remember them all well enough to make distinctions.   

Everyone knows that the best version of Spiderman was on The Electric Company.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gA_Hs9DkmOo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/gA_Hs9DkmOo</a>

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: