VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 11:50:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do y'all think of this new Gun Free Zone legislation? I can see both good  (Read 10938 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:44:54 EDT »

bad coming from this. http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/06/28/want-a-gun-free-zone-tennessee-says-thats-on-you-literally/
I always hear about people bemoaning all the frivolous law suits. Now you want to sue a person who didn't hurt you. This is just adding to them. I also believe a person has a right to defend themselves. But i can just hear a judge asking the question...why did you still frequent this business if you new it was gun free? I wonder if it will include municipal, city, state and federal properties. I also hate for a private business to be told how to conduct it's business. This Bill is going to be one huge headache. Sorry..this should  have been started in Politivol. Kind of a useless law. Can't you already sue a business if you get hurt on their property......carrying or not?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:43:01 EDT by administrator » Logged

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:56:59 EDT »

I have a better solution: Just don't patronize businesses that do not respect your right to defend yourself. I don't. The day Outback stopped allowing guns in their restaurants is the day they received their last dime from me.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 09:18:50 EDT »

I have a better solution: Just don't patronize businesses that do not respect your right to defend yourself. I don't. The day Outback stopped allowing guns in their restaurants is the day they received their last dime from me.
It's interesting.  Last Saturday was the first time I saw someone carrying down here in bubbaland.  I was in Kroger and he was checking out.  The wife would have freaked (she is very, very, very afraid of weapons).  Me?  meh

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:57:32 EDT »

Open carry seems dumb, even though I'm fine with someone doing so. I have my concealed permit, and if someone else wants to do so, more power to him. I'm pretty laissez- faire.

Because of that, I support a private business having the right to say they don't want firearms. No biggie. Like Creek, I'll take my money elsewhere.

As an aside, anyone with a halfway decent concealed rig won't be spotted. If the sign is on the door and you have to enter, shut up, walk in, and go about your business. No one will know.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:44:25 EDT »

St. of TN issues "carry" permits, you can carry it open or concealed. With that, when people come in my Liquor Store, and they are openly carrying, it just lets me know I have another gun in the business if someone tries to rob me. I'm all for someone obtaining a license as long as they sit through the class and
go through the rest of the "waiting in line" that everyone else has to.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 07:44:57 EDT »

I don't understand the concept of open carry. In general, folks who go about in public with a gun strapped openly to their hip are the kind who are full of pomp and bravado. I don't trust them. If I'm carrying, no one is going to know it.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:09:40 EDT »

I'm fully with you Creek. Though I don't mind it being open in my business...(helps deter the boogie man)
When I'm on the street or on the go, nobody knows I'm carrying!  Most of the guys I see open carry on the
street would be the first ones on a youtube video for shooting themselves in the foot or leg.
Stogie Vol
Admins
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 09:19:43 EDT »

I have my carry permit and wouldn't dream of carrying open. In my mind, if a bad guy comes in and wants to shoot up the place and sees someone carrying open, he's not going to be deterred. He's simply going to take out the guy or gal carrying open first. They'd never get it off their hip before they were taken out.

I carry concealed because I want to be respectful to others around me and because I believe it is a better tactical decision.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 09:45:42 EDT »

Definitely better tactical decision! Unless someone just hauls ass into a business to rob it, they will
have the "gut check" time period where they are talking themselves into the robbery.  The open firearms
are more times than not, a major deterrent of the robbery.  Our minds think a like when you say that
you would take out the open carry person first.  Smart choice.  Once that "thing" clicks in their head,
tunnel vision kicks in and they get focused on one thing and one thing only...the cash register!  High
percentage of bad guys have no tactical training (mental or physical) and it shows once they attempt
to perpetrate a crime. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 09:32:48 EDT »

I agree with the "right" to open carry, but like others here I don't see the need to do so.  It's very easy to carry concealed if you have any clue at all and you don't freak anybody else out doing it that way.  I earned my CCP the right way and take the responsibilities to be sure I stay sharp with my carry firearm seriously. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 02:31:41 EDT »

The wife and me got our carry permit 14 years ago and we have never open carried. Our instructor was/still is high up in the local police TAC squad. He told us in class you can open carry in this state but you are asking for trouble if you do. He didn't explain why....but that's the way he put it. He also said he and a lot of police if they saw someone walking around...say in Wal Mart open carrying, will stop you and ask to see your permit. He said do us all a favor and don't open carry.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 03:47:10 EDT »

I saw a guy with a fireman t-shirt (implying he was  fireman, that is) in Target last year open carrying.  Had a gun in holster.  Had his wife and young daughter with him.  It made me a bit uneasy.   I don't mind people carrying guns at all, but someone who feels compelled to open carry to me implies someone with an attitude problem.  There is no need for that.  It seems that it can only draw negative attention and there is no need for it. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: