VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 01:04:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols land Mississippi receiver. He is a 3*. Just how much of a difference in  (Read 2911 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:42:08 EDT »

talent is there between a 3* and a 5*. And if we offer a 3* and later a 5* wants to join the Vols do we rescind the offer to the 3*. Seems like the 5* athletes the Vols land are few and far between lately.
[urlhttp://www.teamspeedkills.com/2016/7/21/12254206/tennessee-volunteers-football-recruiting-2017-wide-receiver-jordan-murphy-commits][/url]

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:51:35 EDT »

talent is there between a 3* and a 5*. And if we offer a 3* and later a 5* wants to join the Vols do we rescind the offer to the 3*. Seems like the 5* athletes the Vols land are few and far between lately.
[urlhttp://www.teamspeedkills.com/2016/7/21/12254206/tennessee-volunteers-football-recruiting-2017-wide-receiver-jordan-murphy-commits][/url]
First, he is a 4* on Rivals (see my post last night). 
As to your question, in reality who really knows.  I would note the VOLS currently have a former 5* receiver on the team.  I do not star gaze.  The relative value of any recruit, no matter the service star ratings, is in his ability to learn, to fit in and develop within the program.  I have no empirical data but I suspect that the number of 3* that perform as a 5* and the number of 5* that perform as a 3* are not that much different

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 12:12:30 EDT »

The problem with rating services is: rating services.  Witness how many prospects suddenly jump by one or even two stars once they are offered by major players in power conferences.  Guess what, the prospect didn't suddenly get better, the rating services just happened to recognize that the college coaches and evaluators just may know a thing or two.  Butch has done OK recruiting, I trust him.  Wow, long time since I have been able to say that about a UT coach.

First, he is a 4* on Rivals (see my post last night). 
As to your question, in reality who really knows.  I would note the VOLS currently have a former 5* receiver on the team.  I do not star gaze.  The relative value of any recruit, no matter the service star ratings, is in his ability to learn, to fit in and develop within the program.  I have no empirical data but I suspect that the number of 3* that perform as a 5* and the number of 5* that perform as a 3* are not that much different
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:04:54 EDT »

Correct.....you can bet your backside that some of our high end 3 stars would be ranked 4 stars within 24 hours if they had committed to Bama, OSU etc...Most of these so called rankers would use a jockstrap as a dust mask if you gave them one and told them to put it on.

WRs are a hard group to rank because so many are just better athletes than what defensive backs they go against in high school.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 11:27:28 EDT »

The reality in this day and time is that every player is "recruited over" no matter if he is a no star or a 50 star.  There are just way too many variables in play.  The negative implications of pulling an offer are pretty much gone now because every school does it just about every year.  

Football recruiting has become every bit as dirty as has been college basketball recruiting since the World Wide Weses and AAU/shoe money hit the scene about 25 years ago.  They are all dirty.  Every one of them.  

But of course, most kids today don't know what the word commitment means.  The WR from, I think, Florida who recruited to us this past week said in his "announcement" that his recruitment would remain open to every school.  That's why you continue to recruit over kids.  Nobody is committed until they sign. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 11:29:05 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 01:24:35 EDT »

And to show how rankings are so subjected look at offensive lineman Trey Smith who is at the top instate in the state of Tennessee. I found this today on a recruiting site. Talk about all over the map.

"Trey Smith #20 on scout, #1 on ESPN, #52 on 247, its a crap shoot."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:37:12 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 03:47:02 EDT »

I went star gazing and got mooned!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: