VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 05:39:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who has entered the realm of backyard football theaters?  (Read 7191 times)
Creek Walker
« on: August 07, 2016, 06:29:48 EDT »

I'm considering a projector + 12-ft. screen + bluetooth sound system for back yard viewing parties for night games this year. I'm not going to spend $2,500-$3,000 on the quality setups. I'm thinking more in terms of an introductory budget...very, very consumer-grade.  Anyone tried it and have pointers to offer? BDV?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 02:03:12 EDT »

I haven't, but I know someone who has.  And he soon decided it was more trouble than it was worth.  He had a lot of trouble getting satisfactory results outdoors with the projector.  Now this was 6-7 years ago, so I'm sure the technology has improved since then.  But I know next to nothing about projectors.

VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:02:39 EDT »

I've got the mancave projector and I love it to death.  But as for outdoors, whew... honestly I'd just get a big ole flat panel for that purpose.  Two people can move them pretty easily and the whole screen setup, making sure the angle is right, enough lumens, etc... seems like it would be a chore each time.  But don't let me be a wet blanket, maybe as BDV says, maybe there's new tech that makes it easier.  My Panasonic projector is high def and all that, and it's not real small.  But my Mom got a 60" Vizeo for some crazy deal and she keeps it on her patio!  :-)
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:16:01 EDT »

I've got the mancave projector and I love it to death.  But as for outdoors, whew... honestly I'd just get a big ole flat panel for that purpose.  Two people can move them pretty easily and the whole screen setup, making sure the angle is right, enough lumens, etc... seems like it would be a chore each time.  But don't let me be a wet blanket, maybe as BDV says, maybe there's new tech that makes it easier.  My Panasonic projector is high def and all that, and it's not real small.  But my Mom got a 60" Vizeo for some crazy deal and she keeps it on her patio!  :-)

I thought about that, too. But, I dunno...the whole 120+ inches of screen thing just seems enticing. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:58:20 EDT »

I think a big problem was the lighting.  Projectors generally require very low light, and most of our night games start and play at least the first half before sundown up until the time change late in the season.  But if you have a very shady spot, you can probably make it work.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:24:03 EDT »

I got the information below from this article: http://www.openaircinema.us/blog/2008/open-air-tutorial-choosing-and-operating-an-outdoor-projector

9×5 ft screen – 1500 lumens minimum, 2300 lumens are ideal
12×7 ft screen – 2300 lumens minimum, 3000 are lumens are ideal
16×9 ft screen – 3000 lumens minimum, 4500 are lumens are ideal
20×11 ft screen – 4500 lumens minimum, 7500 are lumens are ideal
25×14.5 ft screen – 5000 lumens minimum, 10000 are lumens are ideal
40×22.5 ft. screen – 5500 lumens minimum, 12000 are lumens are ideal
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 03:30:14 EDT »

I think a big problem was the lighting.  Projectors generally require very low light, and most of our night games start and play at least the first half before sundown up until the time change late in the season.  But if you have a very shady spot, you can probably make it work.

What BDV said.  Like VolVeeta, I have an indoor projector onto a 90 in screen in a mancave.  It's freakin' awesome, but ANY stray light distracts and washes out color and detail.  Easy enough to control in a basement, but you need be sure you have a very dark location to make it work outside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: