VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 07:14:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTALLY off topic...  (Read 25595 times)
VOLveeta
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:03:44 EDT »

I know... I know, I know.  I'm me and yes this is a really off topic thing.  But I just gotta share this and encourage any of y'all who have young'uns to introduce them to HAMILTON.  Listen to these children who've embraced the show... singing stuff like, "I've been reading 'Common Sense' by Thomas Payne" and "We hold these truths to be self evident that all men are created equal"... "how lucky we are to be alive right now"... theatre is transformative and this particular show is "historic" in more ways than one.  Listen to the words... three teenage girls go to Manhattan (one of whom becomes the future Mrs. Alexander Hamilton) to peruse the fellas during the founding of a great nation.  So good.  Get to know this show if you love American History and share it with the kids.  My daughter has aced American History tests BECAUSE OF THIS MUSICAL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=187&v=nrvs_rIEZWQ
10EC
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 02:38:14 EDT »

I remember the whole class in UT's American history class humming the School House Rock version of the Preamble to the Constitution during a test.
VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 05:12:51 EDT »

I remember the whole class in UT's American history class humming the School House Rock version of the Preamble to the Constitution during a test.

HA!!!  Yes!!!  That's a great example of creative teaching.  I swear, if someone can really engage a kid ONE time on history, the rest will follow.  When it's just taught like "on this date, this happened", I hated it.  But I was in a production of a musical called "1776" about the signing of the Declaration of Independence and I became obsessed with the story and the men involved.  It's really awesome watching these kids pretend to be Jefferson and Hamilton during the big debate scenes.  Ava's got the whole score memorized.  :-)
10EC
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 05:50:28 EDT »

HA!!!  Yes!!!  That's a great example of creative teaching.  I swear, if someone can really engage a kid ONE time on history, the rest will follow.  When it's just taught like "on this date, this happened", I hated it.  But I was in a production of a musical called "1776" about the signing of the Declaration of Independence and I became obsessed with the story and the men involved.  It's really awesome watching these kids pretend to be Jefferson and Hamilton during the big debate scenes.  Ava's got the whole score memorized.  :-)

She going to follow you into theater?
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 09:02:51 EDT »

I love the musical. It is great. But the thing that bothers me is that it furthers the liberal agenda and contributes to the browning of America. No matter how they do remakes of historical movies or events, they can't change history. It is what it is. A lot of our forefathers were slave owners. They can't rewrite that in a play or movie script. The browner this country gets, the more third world it will get. Sorry if liberals don't like those facts.

volsboyinsodak
VOLveeta
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 09:26:16 EDT »

She going to follow you into theater?

Thank GOD she's not interested!!!  :-)  I pray she makes an actual LIVING for a living!  :-)
VOLveeta
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 09:28:06 EDT »

I love the musical. It is great. But the thing that bothers me is that it furthers the liberal agenda and contributes to the browning of America. No matter how they do remakes of historical movies or events, they can't change history. It is what it is. A lot of our forefathers were slave owners. They can't rewrite that in a play or movie script. The browner this country gets, the more third world it will get. Sorry if liberals don't like those facts.

Response deleted.  You don't deserve a response.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:45:03 EDT by VOLveeta » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 11:15:11 EDT »

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 12:51:35 EDT »

Response deleted.  You don't deserve a response.
Sorry..drunken post from Sturgis Rally.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 03:41:52 EDT »

I had to google to see what the concern was.  It turns out, Hamilton is played by a minority.  Ohhhh...now I get it.   

But hey, Matt Damon is apparently Chinese.  Haven't heard the Chinese threaten to go to war over that just yet.   

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/aug/05/zhang-yimou-defends-casting-of-matt-damon-in-the-great-wall

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 03:51:46 EDT »

More on Hamilton

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=34498.0

Moved to politvol   

Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 06:32:23 EDT »

Friends don't let friends drink and post. 
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 11:06:03 EDT »

Friends don't let friends drink and post. 
I am guilty. Total idiot.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 08:07:59 EST »

Just thought I would leave this link here.

No comments necessary. 

http://www.allenbwest.com/matt-palumbo/typical-hamilton-cast-slammed-pence-diversity-look-found

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2016, 12:25:37 EST »

Just thought I would leave this link here.

No comments necessary. 

http://www.allenbwest.com/matt-palumbo/typical-hamilton-cast-slammed-pence-diversity-look-found

I heard about that this morning on Fox and just rolled my eyes.

But reading the actual comments in that link, the actor didn't say anything that bad.  That he felt he had to is silly, and frankly the premise of making all the actors non-white I also find silly (while the only white character is King George).

The entire play is apparently a political statement that "people of color" in the US still feel the need to be liberated from "white oppression", which I find ludicrous, but they are entitled to their POV, no matter how silly.

And cue Politvol in 3, 2, .... 

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2016, 01:10:58 EST »

I heard about that this morning on Fox and just rolled my eyes.

But reading the actual comments in that link, the actor didn't say anything that bad.  That he felt he had to is silly, and frankly the premise of making all the actors non-white I also find silly (while the only white character is King George).

The entire play is apparently a political statement that "people of color" in the US still feel the need to be liberated from "white oppression", which I find ludicrous, but they are entitled to their POV, no matter how silly.

And cue Politvol in 3, 2, .... 

Sure you'll defend this, too, then:

http://www.allenbwest.com/analytical-economist/actor-lectured-pence-probably-wishes-never-tweeted

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2016, 01:26:02 EST »

Defend? Do you read ANYTHING before you post?

Go back to my post.  This is what I said:  That he felt he had to is silly, and frankly the premise of making all the actors non-white I also find silly (while the only white character is King George).

I said I thought it was silly, and also mentioned the non-white actors.  Which, BTW, I posted to Politvol way back on August 9:

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=34498.0

I really wonder about you HTK.  That you would state I was defending the actor when I called him silly.... I don't even have a response for that.  Seriously! 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2016, 01:32:01 EST »

@HTK

And just to explain my comment that what the actor said was "not that bad" (by which I meant offensive):

“We have a message for you sir and we hope you will hear us out…Vice President-elect Pence we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us at Hamilton an American musical, we really do. We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf all of us. All of us.”

He was so in his face, with all the name calling and abuse!  Or....not.   

Which explains why Fox news chose to talk about the incident without showing or quoting what he actually said, which was completely inoffensive.

That the actor thought he had to say this, and chose to do so, is silly IMO. I don't find anything disrespectful in the quote.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2016, 01:48:41 EST »

@HTK

And just to explain my comment that what the actor said was "not that bad" (by which I meant offensive):

“We have a message for you sir and we hope you will hear us out…Vice President-elect Pence we welcome you and we truly thank you for joining us at Hamilton an American musical, we really do. We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf all of us. All of us.”

He was so in his face, with all the name calling and abuse!  Or....not.   

Which explains why Fox news chose to talk about the incident without showing or quoting what he actually said, which was completely inoffensive.

That the actor thought he had to say this, and chose to do so, is silly IMO. I don't find anything disrespectful in the quote.

So, you are ok with paying patrons being called out and lectured? 

Yeah, like I said, defend away. 

Remember this quote:

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” – President Obama to House Republican Whip Eric Cantor, January 23, 2009.

Seems like the left can dish it out, but can't take it when the shoe is on the other foot. 

But by all means, justify away .............

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 03:28:23 EST »

So, you are ok with paying patrons being called out and lectured? 

Yeah, like I said, defend away. 

Remember this quote:

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.” – President Obama to House Republican Whip Eric Cantor, January 23, 2009.

Seems like the left can dish it out, but can't take it when the shoe is on the other foot. 

But by all means, justify away .............

"Love and tolerance, as long as you agree with us..."   
VOLveeta
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 04:46:44 EST »

The selective outrage of politics is exhausting, transparent and an insult to anyone with a modicum of intelligence, frankly.  Tantaro's rant on Fox was the biggest load of horse shizzle I've ever watched.  Sure, be offended if you must but I find this to be one of the stupidest fake scandals ever... same with the "offense" of the act... FAKE.  Give Trump credit, he's smarter than I thought... this is a HUGE diversion from the Trump U. crap.  Well played.  

A.  The post show speech.

Post show speeches (and pre show speeches) have been happening as long as I've been a professional actor (32 years).  If you are offended by them I strongly suggest you stay away from Broadway where for weeks (I believe twice a year) after every performance the cast makes an appeal to raise funds for Equity Fights Aids.  (Actors' Equity is our union).  Needless to say, there are a lot of homosexuals in this business and AIDS took quite a toll back in the day, and the fund has done wonderful things.  But especially considering the particular cause, I suggest a couple of you NEVER go to Broadway.  You'll clearly be offended by that agenda, as well.  Avoid at all costs.

Also, sometimes when a person of note passes, casts often do a tribute after the show... as with this when THE COLOR PURPLE honored Prince.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6KUTL0PXl0

I assure you there were post show speeches after 9/11, after Hurricane Sandy... and the post show speech in HAMILTON was gentle and classy, if you have a problem with it... bless your lily livered heart.  Pence himself has said he was in no way offended.  Seriously.  They thanked him for coming and pleaded with him to consider THEM... especially considering Pence's DISGUSTING anti-LGBT history.  It's HORRID.  It was respectful, it was gentle, it was NOT aggressive and if Pence was REALLY smart, he would have capitalized on it and gone and shaked the man's hand and said, "I appreciate your comments and thank you for a great show.".  

B.  The casting notice.  Good fizzleING grief.  The show was written to tell the story of our founders, most especially, with a cast that looked NOTHING like the founders.  THAT.IS.THE.POINT.  As was the point with THE WIZ.  As was the point with the all black cast of A CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF.  And of course there's THE COLOR PURPLE, PURLIE, AIN'T MISBEHAVIN', ONCE ON THIS ISLAND, FENCES, SHUFFLE ALONG, A RAISIN IN THE SUN, DREAMGIRLS, FENCES, JITNEY, BRING IN 'DA NOISE BRING IN 'DA FUNK, AIN'T MISBEHAVIN'... among others, ALL 100% black casts.  

This is NOTHING new.  All white shows have DOMINATED theatre nationwide for decades, and this big azz hit comes along and suddenly the poor oppressed white actors want in on the party.  Tough.  It was written to be exactly what it is, hence it's success.  

When black men are playing slave owning founders, it SAYS SOMETHING.  It's remarkably effective and has a lot to do with the historic success of the piece.

Ugh.  I'm so sick to death of the bullshizzle.  But please, be "offended".  It's SOOOOO convincing.  

Finally, the plea was from THE ENTIRE CAST AND CREW.  The actor playing Hamilton is HIV positive, and this industry is a very tight-nit family.  In my 32 years doing this, I've never seen my family more scared.  A friend today had a terrible experience a the church he's been attending for a long time, with his partner.  And he was treated very badly, for the first time ever, today.  Gosh, I wonder where that came from?  This election has galvanized all of us and we are going to fight like Hell.  I will defend them forever.  I hope that offends some of you because from some, that offense let's me know I'm on the right track... I love my family.

So sick of the bullshizzle from both sides, seriously.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 01:55:21 EST by VOLveeta » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 05:04:46 EST »

What speaks volumes is that Pence was not offended. But some of his supporters are apparently some really sensitive snowflakes.  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:08:54 EST by BanditVol » Logged

VOLveeta
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 02:31:44 EST »

a man who apologizes is the biggest of men.  You're a good dude.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 02:35:10 EST »

What speaks volumes is that Pence was not offended. But some of his supporters are apparently some really sensitive snowflakes.  
Not accurate, Pence chose not to comment.  That is NOT the same as not being offended.  Pence showed more character than the cast of Hamilton, or their defenders.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VOLveeta
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 02:43:45 EST »

Not accurate, Pence chose not to comment.  That is NOT the same as not being offended.  Pence showed more character than the cast of Hamilton, or their defenders.

"I wasn't offended, I'll leave it to others if it was the appropriate venue to say it."

Mike Pence
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: