VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 04:05:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just curious. What do you perceive to be the Vols of 2016 biggest weakness?  (Read 5965 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:50:32 EDT »

Passing and depth. And depth wise I mean Bama type depth. Are we two deep with 4 and 5 star athletes? Still going to be a challenge to beat Bama. Jones better show some X's and O's coaching ability. With that being said, who on the schedule this year shouldn't he beat? This is his "show me" year. What will the reaction be this year to 3 to 4 losses?

volsboyinsodak
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 10:12:03 EDT »

From an outsiders POV, and I hope I don't get virtually kicked in the groin for this one, I see it as coaching. The talent is there, the experience is there and UT just seems to be ready for the next level. I think the main thing that could hold  y'all back this year is coaching. I like Butch, I really do. But some of his decision making last year was questionable. I think he learns from that and applies it this year. I seriously think you guys don't lose more than 2 games this year and have a more than 50/50 shot at going undefeated.  On paper, you guys should coast into the ATL this year for the SECCG. It'll be up to coaches and team leadership (which I think you guys have) to keep focused through the year.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 10:34:14 EDT »

1.  WR receiver philosophy, and that falls at the feet of Zach Azzani and Butch Jones. 

2.  In game coaching decisions.

3.  Lack of experience with a couple of offensive linemen who will play key roles. 

Other than that, I like this team a lot. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 10:36:16 EDT »

From an outsiders POV, and I hope I don't get virtually kicked in the groin for this one, I see it as coaching. The talent is there, the experience is there and UT just seems to be ready for the next level. I think the main thing that could hold  y'all back this year is coaching. I like Butch, I really do. But some of his decision making last year was questionable. I think he learns from that and applies it this year. I seriously think you guys don't lose more than 2 games this year and have a more than 50/50 shot at going undefeated.  On paper, you guys should coast into the ATL this year for the SECCG. It'll be up to coaches and team leadership (which I think you guys have) to keep focused through the year.

Good point.  I'm optimistic that we have the on-the-field leadership to overcome corncobs in inappropriate places on the sideline, but we'll see.  
tshadow
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 02:02:18 EDT »

I agree with passing... There is no doubt in my mind that with a better passing game we could have found those 24 some-odd points...
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 05:13:56 EDT »

I'm kinda concerned about depth/experience behind JRM and Kirkland.  An injury or two at LB and that position could turn into a major concern.

Can't figure out what's going on with Bates....
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:41:27 EDT »

Can't figure out what's going on with Bates....

One of those guys whose star rating was much higher than it should have been. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 10:48:05 EDT »

Not going to characterize as weakesses until I see the cards on the table, but my three concerns are:

1.  Can we throw the ball when we have to throw the ball.
2.  Can we become, if not automatic, at least highly consistent on field goals.
3.  Can we stay healthy in depth challenged positions.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 12:54:41 EDT »

Not going to characterize as weakesses until I see the cards on the table, but my three concerns are:

+1
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 01:52:10 EDT »

I hate to say it, but I align more closely with Miau more than anyone else. I recall a few times when Butch left me scratching my head. If he can get it together, 2017 has the potential to be special. Well, the best season we've seen in a long, loooong time

11B4PJ3F7
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 02:27:45 EST »

Two of the three doomed us.  Of note is that I did not list the worst defense in memory as a concern.  I know we had massive injuries on that side of the ball, and we are not bama style "next man up", but still incredibly disappointing given the Shoop hype.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 11:42:38 EST »

I didn't say it at the time because some here lose their minds, but one of the biggest weaknesses was roaming the sidelines with headphones on.

volsboyinsodak
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 01:08:03 EST »

I didn't say it at the time because some here lose their minds, but one of the biggest weaknesses was roaming the sidelines with headphones on.

Right, you held your tongue. What a joke! 
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2016, 12:03:24 EST »

Right, you held your tongue. What a joke! 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: