VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 05:33:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't like Windows 10 and I don't like the Edge browser....  (Read 4493 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2016, 10:07:20 EDT »

I got a new home computer and it has W10 and Edge. It's not just that I don't like change (I don't) but I really hate change just for the sake of change. I installed IE10 and don't use Edge. Nothing is where I can find it with Edge. And I can't find things on W10 either. But what really pissed me off was this: I was playing Solitaire and after a few games it ran a full screen video ad. If I don't want ads I have to "upgrade". For a fee, of course.

And people want computers to drive our cars.   

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:31:20 EDT »

Everyday for several months I got a popup on my computer to update to windows 10 for free. Every dang day....and the last 10 days or so it even had a countdown clock to July 28th IIRC where it was free to update.

I've had Windows 7 and have had zero issues with it.....about the only thing I use my computer for is to read message boards and surf the web and I was told by computer geeks to just keep using Windows 7 and don't update to 10 which is exactly what I did. My wife got a new laptop at work about a month ago which came with 10.....she doesn't like it and has already had some issues with it.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:27:41 EDT »

Win 10 is ok
I do NOT like it changing settings just because it thinks it knows better than me how to run my computer

It is amazing to me that microsux office is now an "app"
I have a newsflash for microsux, I have a computer, not an iPhone 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 12:08:51 EDT »

Win 10 is ok
I do NOT like it changing settings just because it thinks it knows better than me how to run my computer

From what I can determine from Googling to figure out things, a lot of these changes are to accommodate iPhones and Pads. Apparently the basic computer, especially the desk top, is considered a dinosaur.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 03:24:37 EDT »

Setting up some friends newer PC's, I've used this to make the switchover less... traumatic.   

http://www.howtogeek.com/223728/bring-the-windows-7-start-menu-to-windows-10-with-classic-shell/

droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 04:11:26 EDT »

Setting up some friends newer PC's, I've used this to make the switchover less... traumatic.   

http://www.howtogeek.com/223728/bring-the-windows-7-start-menu-to-windows-10-with-classic-shell/

Thank you, sir. I hate the W10 start menu.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 04:38:39 EDT »

Win 10 is ok

Exactly why I didn't update.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 05:39:49 EDT »

Everyday for several months I got a popup on my computer to update to windows 10 for free. Every dang day....and the last 10 days or so it even had a countdown clock to July 28th IIRC where it was free to update.

I've had Windows 7 and have had zero issues with it.....about the only thing I use my computer for is to read message boards and surf the web and I was told by computer geeks to just keep using Windows 7 and don't update to 10 which is exactly what I did. My wife got a new laptop at work about a month ago which came with 10.....she doesn't like it and has already had some issues with it.

My office computers are Windows 7. One of my assistants started yelling at me one day to come to her office. She was getting the countdown and told me to get in  there immediately. I stopped it and didn't update to 10 and now I'm glad I did. We are all too old to change now.

Quite frankly, I loved XP. I was used to it and I thought it worked well. What I don't understand is why, when they update, they have to change everything. Can't they update the operating system without changing it so we have to learn everything over again? But then I guess I answered this question in my previous post. Everything is made to accommodate the iPhones and Pads. Desktops and flip phones, the things I use are soon to be antiquated and useless, if they aren't already.

Well, I've always said that you would have to drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century. When they machines take over I'm going to make sure I say "I told you so". And then the machines will kill me. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 04:26:29 EDT »

How can machines kill a guy that doesn't exist? 

That's one of my favorite things to refute with my fellow engineering geeks though.  No machine will ever be alive in the sense that a human is, and at no foreseeable point in the future will humans have the ability to endow anything with what we call "consciousness". 

Scientists can't even produce primitive life and somehow we can create machine consciousness?   If it ever happens, it will be thousands or even millions of years in the future.

So you don't have to worry about that one.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: