VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 06:22:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting read on Appy St (looking back on their win @ Mich)  (Read 3461 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2016, 02:44:15 EDT »

I guess I didn't really realize that both DeBord and Stripling were on that Mich staff:

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/columnists/john-adams/stripling-loud-and-clear-on-potential-of-appalachian-state-3a713bb5-d5be-51f0-e053-0100007f6118-390807141.html?d=mobile

Personally, even though many will say "they beat Michigan", I'm not really worried at all.  That's been almost a decade ago and they had probably their best qb in school history at the time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 02:47:45 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
10EC
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 02:57:57 EDT »

I guess I didn't really realize that both DeBord and Stripling were on that Mich staff:

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/columnists/john-adams/stripling-loud-and-clear-on-potential-of-appalachian-state-3a713bb5-d5be-51f0-e053-0100007f6118-390807141.html?d=mobile

Personally, even though many will say "they beat Michigan", I'm not really worried at all.  That's been almost a decade ago and they had probably their best qb in school history at the time.

I seem to remember that a lot of Michigan players were drunk or high (or both) the night before.  Something like that...
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 04:11:21 EDT »

Honestly, I don't understand the "they beat Michigan!" boogeyman argument. Like you said, that was 10 years ago. I see Appy State as a solid mid major but nothing more...nothing more than an Arkansas State or Western Kentucky when both of them were on top of their game. Could they win? Yeah, they could. But if they do, it'll be such a monumental upset that Butch will immediately be sitting on a very hot seat.

It might be close for a half but by the 4th quarter this one should be well in hand.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 05:32:59 EDT »

I would be somewhat concerned (not just for App St, but for Va Tech too)  if team 120 didn't have such strong senior leaders and/or a bunch of off the field nonsense going on that made me think this team wasn't focused, but that is not the case.  I think we're ready for the lofty expectations.  Whether it pans out or not remains to be seen.  Gotta stay healthy and gotta get some breaks.

I still can't go all in on expecting to be in Atlanta until I see us beat UF.  I hope UF isnt in team 120's head like they are in my head because I'm already psyched out and nervous thinking about that game, lol. 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 07:23:08 EDT »

I was in San Fransisco, as we played Cal that night in an antiquated 60 year old stadium untouched by maintenance or renovation

Their toilet facilities:
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-15257548/stock-photo-a-blue-porta-potty-locatedY-on-the-hiking-trail.html?src=XKShkHnpGbzmzPzykLb4Vw-1-12

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 08:33:07 EDT »

I still can't go all in on expecting to be in Atlanta until I see us beat UF.  I hope UF isnt in team 120's head like they are in my head because I'm already psyched out and nervous thinking about that game, lol. 

It feels good to be nervous about a game again. It's been too long since we had a game that REALLY mattered.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 03:59:55 EDT »

Yeah, as long as our team doesn't hit the weed really hard.   

Seriously, another major difference is that Lloyd Carr was running parallel to Fulmer. The similarities are almost eerie.  Both Tennessee boys, Fulmer won the NC one year after Carr, then had a really embarrassing home  loss (Wyoming in Fulmer's case) and hung it up one year after Carr, and then both programs have been in the crapper for ten years.  Until now!

I don't see much chance of an upset. I hear the Appy State OL is good, but who are their skill players? And is our DL dog meat or something?

But number one....as good as their OL might be, we have one of the best (if not THE best) RB tandems in the country...AND Josh Dobbs at QB!

Who cares about their OL, how good is their DL? 

WWFDT

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: