VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 01:42:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could you foresee a scenario with Fulmer becoming AD?  (Read 12972 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2016, 05:23:26 EDT »

Just askin'

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 05:46:06 EDT »

It would be a colossal mistake. Fulmer's ego would cause irreparable harm to the UTAD.

I love Fulmer for what he meant to our football program, but I also believe him to be a borderline narcissist.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 05:47:47 EDT »

It would be a colossal mistake. Fulmer's ego would cause irreparable harm to the UTAD.

I love Fulmer for what he meant to our football program, but I also believe him to be a borderline narcissist.

borderline? you're being nice......

11B4PJ3F7
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 06:09:24 EDT »

Personally, I won't lose my mind if it ends up being Fulmer.  Blackburn is my top choice but if we cant make it happen with Blackburn, I'm fine with it being Fulmer.   
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 08:45:34 EDT »

Of course, none of the other folks that would want the AD job have an ego....

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:45:32 EDT »

Of course, none of the other folks that would want the AD job have an ego....

That's kind of my reaction to the argument... Chances are he wouldn't be the first AD with an ego, and said ego doesn't necessarily mean he would fail at being an AD.

I just haven't read or heard anything that makes me truly believe Fulmer would be a poor choice at AD.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 10:12:16 EDT »

Fulmer WILL NOT be the next AD at UT.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 10:32:21 EDT »

Hopefully it will be Blackburn and any Fulmer arguments will be rendered moot.   
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:54:29 EDT »

Not just no, but hell no. Fulmer isn't qualified to be the AD at UT. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:31:29 EDT »

That's what i think as well. I am not pro-Fulmer.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:44:05 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 12:45:18 EDT »

Specifically, why do you say that?  Just curious as to the reasons.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 01:17:46 EDT »

Not Herb...but I'll give you the main reason.

You DO NOT fire someone, pay them 6 million to go away then hire them to be the head of your organization. The End!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 01:35:11 EDT »

Specifically, why do you say that?  Just curious as to the reasons.

Because he was a football coach.  He has no administrative experience, and especially running an athletic department at an SEC school.

Long gone are the days when an AD was a coach or former coach who spent his days ordering jock straps and counting how many basketballs are in the rack. 

He's just not qualified. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 01:35:38 EDT »

You DO NOT fire someone, pay them 6 million to go away then hire them to be the head of your organization. The End!

And then there is this, as well. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 02:00:30 EDT »

1.  He's only 3 years younger than Hart, and probably not in as good health.  How long would he stay in the job?
2.  Other than his recent stint in an "advisory" role at ETSU, he has no administrative experience.  For today's breed of AD, an MBA is much more desirable than coaching experience.
3.  Remember how he was loyal to a fault to "his guys"?  That's NOT a good trait in an AD.

I realize that two names are going to come up whenever we have an opening at UT anymore. And IMO, Manning, even though he is also vastly unqualified for the job, would actually be preferable to Fulmer.  He's younger, and he at least has some experience running a chain of pizza joints (although I doubt he was a very "hands-on" owner).

But at the end of the day, just hire Blackburn and be done with it.  He can do this job for the next 20 years.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 02:00:57 EDT »

Not Herb...but I'll give you the main reason.

Yeah, it would be a pretty strange situation considering that all or most of the powers that be that agreed it was time to go are still the powers that be.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 02:29:28 EDT »

1.  He's only 3 years younger than Hart, and probably not in as good health.  How long would he stay in the job?
2.  Other than his recent stint in an "advisory" role at ETSU, he has no administrative experience.  For today's breed of AD, an MBA is much more desirable than coaching experience.
3.  Remember how he was loyal to a fault to "his guys"?  That's NOT a good trait in an AD.

I realize that two names are going to come up whenever we have an opening at UT anymore. And IMO, Manning, even though he is also vastly unqualified for the job, would actually be preferable to Fulmer.  He's younger, and he at least has some experience running a chain of pizza joints (although I doubt he was a very "hands-on" owner).

But at the end of the day, just hire Blackburn and be done with it.  He can do this job for the next 20 years.

His "advisory" role at ETSU consisted of playing golf and shaking hands with people and he was paid north of a half million dollars to do it.  There are a lot of folks in the ESTUAD who weren't happy with return on investment.  Felt like that money could have been much better spent going towards the new stadium or actually football expenses. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 03:36:31 EDT »

I think he would be great as an assistant AD.  More of a handshaking fund raising figurehead. 

According to most experts on here though, his ego couldn't take that.   

But for the record, he denied interest in the job when it came open after Hammy. FWIW.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 04:23:49 EDT »

I think he would be great as an assistant AD.  More of a handshaking fund raising figurehead. 

According to most experts on here though, his ego couldn't take that.   

But for the record, he denied interest in the job when it came open after Hammy. FWIW.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to deny interest in a job that you were never considered for.  Kind of like all of those other college and NFL coaching positions that he wasn't interested in and they were never interested in him. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 04:36:58 EDT »

Do you guys recall the story of how Fulmer's office was designed so that he was on a pedestal above you when you sat in front of his desk? Don't be fooled into thinking he has only an average ego!
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 06:12:14 EDT »

Do you guys recall the story of how Fulmer's office was designed so that he was on a pedestal above you when you sat in front of his desk? Don't be fooled into thinking he has only an average ego!

True. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 02:56:03 EDT »

I am a pro-Fulmer guy. I like him very much. But he is absolutely not a fit for AD at UT. That position is much more than it used to be and we have to hire smarter than that.

My hope is that it's Blackburn and he keeps Fulmer as close to the program as possible, for fundraising and PR purposes.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2016, 04:03:58 EDT »

I am a pro-Fulmer guy. I like him very much. But he is absolutely not a fit for AD at UT. That position is much more than it used to be and we have to hire smarter than that.

My hope is that it's Blackburn and he keeps Fulmer as close to the program as possible, for fundraising and PR purposes.

I'm in the Blackburn camp, as well.  Of all the names mentioned thus far he makes the most sense.  

I don't want anybody represented by Jimmy Sexton.  We've been burned way too badly by his clients. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2016, 11:07:19 EDT »

Simultaneous with the zombie apocalypse in an alternate universe.  I'd say the odds of this scenario are low.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 02:23:54 EDT »

lol

Yes, I am sure that's exactly how he thought of it also.   

I'm sorry...that's just laugh out loud silly.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: