VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:58:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could you foresee a scenario with Fulmer becoming AD?  (Read 12902 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 02:25:36 EDT »

Yeah, it's pretty easy to deny interest in a job that you were never considered for.  Kind of like all of those other college and NFL coaching positions that he wasn't interested in and they were never interested in him. 

Neither I nor he said he was every considered for the job.  A reporter posed the question, and he said he wanted to chill for a while. I see no reason not to take him at his word.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 02:44:49 EDT »

lol

Yes, I am sure that's exactly how he thought of it also.  

I'm sorry...that's just laugh out loud silly.

If laughing out loud makes you feel better, have at it. We could all use a good laugh now and then. However, Fulmer's over-sized ego is well-documented. It's hardly a secret. So before you go calling people silly, it would probably be best to educate yourself.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 02:53:52 EDT by Creek Walker » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 03:00:08 EDT »

If laughing out loud makes you feel better, have at it. We could all use a good laugh now and then. However, Fulmer's over-sized ego is well-documented. It's hardly a secret. So before you go calling people silly, it would probably be best to educate yourself.

Oh, he had an ego.  I met him twice.  The first time I started to offer him condolences on a close loss to Florida (I think this was 2006), but he cut me off and said "we have played a lot of football around here."  I think he thought I was going to criticize him.  And I have heard other stories.

But you made it sound like he thought he was seated on a throne or something.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 03:35:07 EDT »

Oh, he had an ego.  I met him twice.  The first time I started to offer him condolences on a close loss to Florida (I think this was 2006), but he cut me off and said "we have played a lot of football around here."  I think he thought I was going to criticize him.  And I have heard other stories.

But you made it sound like he thought he was seated on a throne or something.   

Actually, that was more or less the persona that he gave off with his office setup towards the end of his tenure.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 03:03:45 EDT »

Actually, that was more or less the persona that he gave off with his office setup towards the end of his tenure.

Yep.  Some of the quotes he gave during that time period were just plain narcissistic. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2016, 05:57:53 EDT »

I don't get some peoples thinking. While I don't want a prima donna as AD, I don't want some shrinking violet either. I think a little ego is a good thing. I'm sorry, but I even liked Kiffin's swagger while he was here. I think a lot of us did.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:13 EDT »

I don't get some peoples thinking. While I don't want a prima donna as AD, I don't want some shrinking violet either. I think a little ego is a good thing. I'm sorry, but I even liked Kiffin's swagger while he was here. I think a lot of us did.

I didn't like Kiffin's "swagger," if that's what you want to call it, but that's beside the point. Keep in mind that an AD has to manage a bunch of egos. Coaches -- especially successful ones -- are notorious for their egos. If all you have in the athletic department are a bunch of clashing egos, like stubborn rams butting heads, you're going to get nowhere fast.

But, besides that, here's my point with Fulmer's ego: How many times have you seen Fulmer give an interview since 2008 where he mentioned the way they used to do it back when he coached? I've seen it a number of times. Fulmer was fired because the game had passed him by. Rather than recognize that and step graciously aside, he responded with a chip on his shoulder, thinking his way was still the best way...and that his way was better than the coaches Tennessee hired after him. The AD oversees the football program but he doesn't directly involve himself with the day-to-day management of the program. There are a number of aspects that the coach is in control of, and that's the way it should be. Could Fulmer stay out of the coach's way, or would his ego dictate that he get himself involved and make a mess out of things? I fear it would be the latter.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 02:42:36 EDT »

Is it my imagination, or do we have this same debate every single year shortly before the season begins?  The threads may start out with different premises but they always end up as heated, multi-page referendums on the Fulmer regime. 

So here we are.  Again.  I guess the 2016 season may now officially begin.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 03:15:50 EDT »

Is it my imagination, or do we have this same debate every single year shortly before the season begins?  The threads may start out with different premises but they always end up as heated, multi-page referendums on the Fulmer regime. 

So here we are.  Again.  I guess the 2016 season may now officially begin.

Usually it's over whether he should have been fired, or (in my case) if it was the right time to pull the trigger.  This is different,as it pertains to whether he should be AD or not.

Which means this season is also different.   

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2016, 06:10:42 EDT »

Usually it's over whether he should have been fired, or (in my case) if it was the right time to pull the trigger.  This is different,as it pertains to whether he should be AD or not.

Which means this season is also different.   

I have yet to see why anybody believes that Fulmer is actually qualified to be the AD. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2016, 03:14:44 EDT »

I have yet to see why anybody believes that Fulmer is actually qualified to be the AD. 

OMG....

My post had nothing to do with whether he should be AD or not.  Just pointing out that it's not the usual point of discussion.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2016, 08:09:52 EDT »

OMG....

My post had nothing to do with whether he should be AD or not.  Just pointing out that it's not the usual point of discussion.

You asked the question, so you must believe a Fulmer candidacy would have merit. 

And I am asking how he is qualified for the question to be asked in the first place. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2016, 10:28:21 EDT »

You asked the question, so you must believe a Fulmer candidacy would have merit. 

And I am asking how he is qualified for the question to be asked in the first place. 

Herb.  Read above carefully.  At no point do I ask a single question at all, let alone whatever one you are referring to, which, although hardly clear from your post, must be a reference to the question in the subject line by the OP..

And the OP is not BanditVol, but VolsBoy.  Hope this helps. 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2016, 10:43:17 EDT »

I just asked the question because I saw somewhere that Fulmer had thrown his hat in the ring. I don't even now if that is even accurate or not. We are done with the Fulmer era forever. I hope. But we can't forget how much he did do for Tennessee football. I have no ill-will toward the man at all.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: