VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 06:43:59 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dormandy named backup QB. That is no surprise. The starter job is his to lose  (Read 7664 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:36:51 EDT »

next season IMO.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:46:48 EDT »

JG's redshirt will hopefully be preserved this year, but I think he's the starter next year, not QD.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:10:38 EDT »

Dormandy might start the season next year....but I'd be shocked if JG doesn't finish it. JG is our QB of the future.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 03:53:04 EDT »

No offense to anyone above, and by far it's not limited to you guys (Pirate and others do this a lot also), but I am always amused how everyone knows who the QB of the future is.

What was the guy that transferred to some small school in NC? Ferguson?  He was a cant miss future QB.   EVERYONE was saying it.  So it must have been true!

lol

I can wait and worry about it next year. I understand how important the QB is...I guess I am just more concerned with the present than any future seasons. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 08:39:18 EDT »

No offense to anyone above, and by far it's not limited to you guys (Pirate and others do this a lot also), but I am always amused how everyone knows who the QB of the future is.

What was the guy that transferred to some small school in NC? Ferguson?  He was a cant miss future QB.   EVERYONE was saying it.  So it must have been true!

lol

I can wait and worry about it next year. I understand how important the QB is...I guess I am just more concerned with the present than any future seasons.  
Talent wise, QD can't hold a candle to JG IMO.
IT remains to be seen how they both develop but I fully expect JG to compete and win the job next year
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:23:29 EDT by PirateVOL » Logged

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 02:21:05 EDT »

I am always amused

What amuses me is how an "n" so often sneaks into "Dormady."

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 03:48:06 EDT »

I know.  I mean, WTF?  What if Quentile reads this board?

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2016, 04:07:37 EDT »

What was the guy that transferred to some small school in NC? Ferguson?  He was a cant miss future QB.   EVERYONE was saying it.  So it must have been true!

lol

Talent wise Ferguson was our QB of the future.  But he couldn't stay off of the weed.  He was just named the starter at Memphis. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 04:13:03 EDT »

Talent wise, QD can't hold a candle to JG IMO.
IT remains to be seen how they both develop but I fully expect JG to compete and win the job next year
How do you know JG is more talented?  He has only played against HS defenses. Is he going to be Winston or Manziel good as a freshman?

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 04:23:28 EDT »

How do you know JG is more talented?  He has only played against HS defenses. Is he going to be Winston or Manziel good as a freshman?

By all of the measurables JG has more physical tools than does QD.  And those skills fit Butch's offense better than QD's skill set does.

But, of course, there are more than just physical measurables to playing QB.  Point is that all things being equal JG simply seems to make more sense.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 04:27:46 EDT »

And Dormady has played so many valuable minutes? 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 04:31:46 EDT »

Some of us have eyes, and know how to use them

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 04:35:38 EDT »

Now, now, Pirate.  You know that we are all a bunch of country bumpkin hicks who don't know a football from a footstool.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 04:40:46 EDT »

I guess we will SEE then.

volsboyinsodak
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 05:32:18 EDT »

I (think I) know stuff, and freely share my opinions, even/especially when unsolicited.  QD appears to have serious touch and decent vision. JG appears Shuler-like. My guess us both start at major programs at some point.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:00:15 EDT »

Dormandy is an amusning name?

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 12:51:56 EDT »

[urlhttp://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/vols/2016/08/22/why-vols-should-get-jarrett-guarantano-field/89129464/][/url]

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 02:32:00 EDT »

Didn't Freddy Kitchens have a really good arm?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 02:54:41 EDT »

I don't think anyone said he was a "can't miss" prospect.  What many WERE saying was that, in practice, he looked like the best of the three scholarship QBs on our roster at the time.  Recall that none of Ferguson, Peterman, or Dobbs were offered by many of the "big boys".  Also, per all reports, Dobbs looked MUCH better in games than he did in practice.  So until the job fell to him by default, he certainly wasn't seen as anywhere near the QB he's turned out to be.

OTOH, Guarantano could've gone anywhere he wanted.  Recall that corch herban's assistant cried like little bitch on twitter when they lost him.  You look at his film and quickly see that he's our most physically gifted QB at least since Shuler, and maybe ever.  Of course that guarantees him nothing- but if he's also got it going on between the ears, he's going to be very special.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 03:04:48 EDT »

I don't think anyone said he was a "can't miss" prospect.  What many WERE saying was that, in practice, he looked like the best of the three scholarship QBs on our roster at the time.  Recall that none of Ferguson, Peterman, or Dobbs were offered by many of the "big boys".  Also, per all reports, Dobbs looked MUCH better in games than he did in practice.  So until the job fell to him by default, he certainly wasn't seen as anywhere near the QB he's turned out to be.

OTOH, Guarantano could've gone anywhere he wanted.  Recall that corch herban's assistant cried like little bitch on twitter when they lost him.  You look at his film and quickly see that he's our most physically gifted QB at least since Shuler, and maybe ever.  Of course that guarantees him nothing- but if he's also got it going on between the ears, he's going to be very special.

Well that is exciting, I admit.  It's always good to get a top notch QB prospect, and it's about time the Vols start attracting those again.

But i am big proponent of until they do it in a game, I'm not going to sweat it too much.  There are always practice heroes who choke in the real game.

Believe it or not, Jeff Driskel was the top QB in Phil Steele's combined recruiting ratings when he signed at Florida.  And oddly enough, he got picked up by the 49ers in spite of being a huge bust in college.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 03:41:19 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 08:31:54 EDT »

I don't think anyone said he was a "can't miss" prospect.  What many WERE saying was that, in practice, he looked like the best of the three scholarship QBs on our roster at the time.  Recall that none of Ferguson, Peterman, or Dobbs were offered by many of the "big boys".  Also, per all reports, Dobbs looked MUCH better in games than he did in practice.  So until the job fell to him by default, he certainly wasn't seen as anywhere near the QB he's turned out to be.

OTOH, Guarantano could've gone anywhere he wanted.  Recall that corch herban's assistant cried like little bitch on twitter when they lost him.  You look at his film and quickly see that he's our most physically gifted QB at least since Shuler, and maybe ever.  Of course that guarantees him nothing- but if he's also got it going on between the ears, he's going to be very special.
don't forget that until the Bamer game he was the B/U QB and the only reason that he didn't play vs Dobbs in that game is he had a stress fracture.  Even with that injury we watched him receivers in stride at over 50 yards repeatedly.  Yes, it was against air but ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: