VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 02:34:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm finally drinking the cool aid  (Read 5866 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:12:29 EDT »

Just (painfully) watched the gaytor highlights from last year on SECN.   The fourth quarter collapse was a joke.  But...our DC RUSHED THREE PLUS A SPY on 4th and 14!  Honestly, who does that?

Well,he's gone, and rumor has it that game and a couple others (um, OU anyone?  ) were the reason.  Too conservative in the later stages of the game...I guess he was channeling Chavis. 

But...that guy is GONE, and in his place is a guy who got Vandy to play decent defense. 

Can't wait....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 06:52:06 EDT »

I am like a kid on Christmas morning about this defense.  It is that mystery present under the tree--I think I know what I am getting, I hope that is what I am getting, but I won't know for sure until it is unwrapped on Sept 1 whether it is the keys to a new Shoopmobile or just another pair of socks.  But the anticipation sure is fun, haven't had that for a while.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 01:12:59 EDT »

Have yet to watch a replay of the OU or Florida games.....and Won't!!!! Two of the biggest clusters of crap. My blood pressure is getting high just posting this. I hope our team and staff and head coach have learned from it. Champions go for the throat when you have a good team down.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:29:24 EDT »

Have yet to watch a replay of the OU or Florida games.....and Won't!!!! Two of the biggest clusters of crap. My blood pressure is getting high just posting this. I hope our team and staff and head coach have learned from it. Champions go for the throat when you have a good team down.

As much as some of Butch's decisions were questioned, the common thread was that in both the OU and Florida games our defense vanished in the fourth quarter after playing well the other three.  I am willing to concede that lack of depth may have played a role, but the aggression was gone. 

The offense could have been more aggressive as well to be sure, but IMO our defense cost us those two games.

The good news is that over the last half of the season we showed a lot of improvement.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 05:12:07 EDT »

As much as some of Butch's decisions were questioned, the common thread was that in both the OU and Florida games our defense vanished in the fourth quarter after playing well the other three.  I am willing to concede that lack of depth may have played a role, but the aggression was gone. 

The offense could have been more aggressive as well to be sure, but IMO our defense cost us those two games.

The good news is that over the last half of the season we showed a lot of improvement.

I agree somewhat.....Our offense went into a shell to much too and you couldn't drive a 10 penny nail up Butch's butt at times and it put our defense in bad situations at times. Sometimes when your defense is tired and low on depth, your offense becomes your best defense late in games. Going 3 and outs and snapping the freaking ball with 18 seconds still left on the play clock while going 3 and out gives the other teams more offensive possessions.

In those 4th quarter clusters last season if I could have reached through my TV and choked Butch....I would have.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 05:52:39 EDT »

BS...Jones still has final say in all calls. I still put this on him. UF and OU games. The cool aid is not sweet enough for me to drink yet.

volsboyinsodak
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 01:34:31 EDT »

BS...Jones still has final say in all calls. I still put this on him. UF and OU games. The cool aid is not sweet enough for me to drink yet.

Just be true to yourself and let out a roll turds.

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 03:13:15 EDT »

I agree somewhat.....Our offense went into a shell to much too and you couldn't drive a 10 penny nail up Butch's butt at times and it put our defense in bad situations at times. Sometimes when your defense is tired and low on depth, your offense becomes your best defense late in games. Going 3 and outs and snapping the freaking ball with 18 seconds still left on the play clock while going 3 and out gives the other teams more offensive possessions.

In those 4th quarter clusters last season if I could have reached through my TV and choked Butch....I would have.

I'll agree that overall the killer instinct was not there early in the season.  It did seem to be there after the Arkansas game. 

I think some of the problem too, was a team full of players who just were not used to winning.  Which is no longer true. 

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 04:51:19 EDT »

I never said he didn't make bad decisions.  He did.  The decision not to go for two against UF was colossally stupid.  But it. did. not. cost. us. the game.

Let's say we make it, and UF still scores those two late TDs.  Over 70% of the time, the team with the most momentum wins in OT.  We did it to USCe in 2014, OU did it to us last year, etc.  And guess what?  It was only a 50% shot anyway.  The only argument anyone could make is that maybe if we make it and everything else plays out the same, we have a bit more confidence on the last drive (due to having OT guaranteed) and get a bit closer and make the FG for the win.  Or not.

Same thing against OU.  Did a really early decision not to go for it at the 1.75 yard line against one of the country's best DL really cause our defensive collapse in the 4th quarter?  Seriously, do you believe that?

So yes, Butch made some dumb decisions, (don't get me started on some of the stupid Timeout decisions  ) but if you want to blame the coach I think his overall lack of aggressiveness with the lead is by far why we lost at least the OU and UF games, and possibly also Arkansas (but...not bammer.  We played balls out in that one).

Good news...I think he learned from those experiences.  I would point to the firing of Jancek as prima facie (look it up) evidence of that.  Plus the team played with great heart against uga and bammer, and really every game down the stretch.

Saban better bend over, cause here comes a big orange....(family board) 

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:45:43 EDT »

I never said he didn't make bad decisions.  He did.  The decision not to go for two against UF was colossally stupid.  But it. did. not. cost. us. the game.

It might have cost us the game.  We're taking hypotheticals, so there's no way of knowing.  The only thing for sure is that one point does us no good in that spot.  At all.  And if Butch's chart said otherwise, then he needs to invest in a new chart.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 10:51:36 EDT »

It might have cost us the game.  We're taking hypotheticals, so there's no way of knowing.  The only thing for sure is that one point does us no good in that spot.  At all.  And if Butch's chart said otherwise, then he needs to invest in a new chart.

The decision to go for one was completely idiotic.  But that doesn't change the fact that we blew a 13-point lead with 10 minutes to go, and the key play was a 4th and 14 conversion.  And that is certainly the main reason we lost.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2016, 04:20:26 EDT »

Just be true to yourself and let out a roll turds.
I could say the same for you. Just be true to yourself and keep being a Jones apologist. If he effs it up this I am certain I will not be the only one here holding his feet to the fire. Everything is lined up for him this season. I hope he delivers. It will be nice to be a SEC championship contender again. I think he missed a good chance last year in hindsight.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2016, 04:36:41 EDT »

I could say the same for you.
Nope, you are dead wrong on this point, as well as several others., including Jones

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2016, 05:37:55 EDT »

Nope, you are dead wrong on this point, as well as several others., including Jones
That's your opinion. So Jones did nothing wrong as a coach last season? I'm sorry but UF and OK were both very winnable. He was outcoached. Arky was just a beating straight up. No way to sugarcoat it. But if he learns from it, all is good. What part is wrong about Jones, since you know it all? Let's hear your spin. I can take it.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 04:33:12 EDT »

I luv ya Pirate. I'm just poking the Bear. I do enjoy your insights to Vols football. All kidding aside, You know about as much as anyone I know about the game, especially all things Vol. I just have to push your buttons from time to time. Makes for energetic posts. Peace and keep doing what you do. You are good at it. You know most of my post are from the cynical side to get a response. I just get a kick out of those who think I secretly pull for Bamer. Not in this lifetime.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: