VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 07:46:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feels like 91  (Read 1506 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2016, 02:13:26 EDT »

There was a lot of talk about "feels like 98" a while back.  Not sure when exactly, can't recall.

In the fourth year of the Butch Jones era, it feels more like 91 to me.  In that year, we got blown out by Florida (like bammer this year) and lost narrowly to bammer in a game that was settled on the last play (like Tamu this year), had a miraculous comeback against a good team on the road (miracle at South Bend), and played down to a few lesser teams like a 2 point victory at MSU.

Now...I hope the analogy doesn't continue, because we got blown out in the bowl game that year by Penn State, but I see a lot of similarities, even to the point that 1991 was Andy Kelly's senior year (like Dobbs this year).

Which means that what took Johnny Majors 15 long years to accomplish, Butch did in four.     It's a different era.  Hometown hero or no, upset of Notre Dame in 1979 or no, Majors would have likely been fired after the blowout losses to Uga and USC sr to start the 81 campaign.if not sooner.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 02:19:24 EDT »

Let me add, in fairness to Johnny, that 1985 was actually a very good year, so maybe it only took him 10 years. But he was so.  Dam. Inconsistent!   

No. 3 in the country in 1985, 7-5 in 1986.  A respectable 10-2-1 in 1987 followed by a 5-6 losing season in 1988.  For that matter, both 1989 and 1990 were very good years.

But nevertheless, 1991 seems the best comparison to me.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 05:00:25 EDT »

There was a lot of talk about "feels like 98" a while back.  Not sure when exactly, can't recall.

In the fourth year of the Butch Jones era, it feels more like 91 to me.  In that year, we got blown out by Florida (like bammer this year) and lost narrowly to bammer in a game that was settled on the last play (like Tamu this year), had a miraculous comeback against a good team on the road (miracle at South Bend), and played down to a few lesser teams like a 2 point victory at MSU.

Now...I hope the analogy doesn't continue, because we got blown out in the bowl game that year by Penn State, but I see a lot of similarities, even to the point that 1991 was Andy Kelly's senior year (like Dobbs this year).

Which means that what took Johnny Majors 15 long years to accomplish, Butch did in four.     It's a different era.  Hometown hero or no, upset of Notre Dame in 1979 or no, Majors would have likely been fired after the blowout losses to Uga and USC sr to start the 81 campaign.if not sooner.

I think a lot of people thought that when Eason fumbled in the end zone. Kinda felt like Stoerner's fumble.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: