VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 09:43:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Here is a proposal concerning the college football season...  (Read 5507 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2016, 11:33:42 EDT »

Either they need to go back to 11 games (which they won't do because of the money) or they need to extend the season.  Start a week earlier or go a week lomger. And then have two open dates.

Our schedule is not only the toughest in the country, but we played our four strongest opponents in four consecutive weeks.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 02:55:44 EDT »

Our schedule has been frontloaded like this for a long time now.  All the whiners around the country who complain that "Tennessee is on CBS every week" or "Tennessee is on Gameday every week" are finding that out.  It's just this year that we're good enough to make those games matter such that CBS and ESPN want to cover them.  Fortunately, we finally get some relief next year, as our big games look to be more spread out.

Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 03:38:53 EDT »

Now that both schools have a new AD, would it be too much to ask that our game with UF gets bumped back? I know UF wants it at the front end because of FSU, but surely the new guy won't have as much pull with the SEC front office as Foley does.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 03:56:58 EDT »

Now that both schools have a new AD, would it be too much to ask that our game with UF gets bumped back? I know UF wants it at the front end because of FSU, but surely the new guy won't have as much pull with the SEC front office as Foley does.

I'm not really worried about the UF game specifically.  I know there was about 3-4 years in a row back in the 90's/early 2000's when that was the biggest regular season game in the nation, but that time has past.  However, when we play that game early (preceeded usually by a big OOC game a week or two before) followed by 3, 4, or even 5 more HUGE conference games without a break, then there's a problem.  I understand that every SEC team is going to have a very tough stretch at some point every season.  It's the nature of our league.  But our late Sep/Oct gauntlet has been a death march for almost ten years now, and it needs to stop.  Next season our big games look to be more spread out.  Hopefully it stays that way going forward.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 05:51:28 EDT »

I have to disagree with Droner that our schedule is the toughest in the country. I'm sure Ole Miss will disagree. We have a great advantage of playing in the East and not the West. Just look at LSU's remaining schedule. This is one of the most favorable schedules the Vols have had in years. But historically, our schedules have been tough. We play some real good OOC teams most years.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 05:53:33 EDT »

I have to disagree with Droner that our schedule is the toughest in the country. I'm sure Ole Miss will disagree. We have a great advantage of playing in the East and not the West. Just look at LSU's remaining schedule. This is one of the most favorable schedules the Vols have had in years. But historically, our schedules have been tough. We play some real good OOC teams most years.
according to those that know what they are talking about we do have one of the toughest schedules.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 06:15:57 EDT »

Yep

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Ahead of every West team other than, surprisingly, bammer.

And we have played the two toughest teams in that division, which means our schedule has been about as tough as it gets. 

I mean...come on!   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 06:20:50 EDT »

according to those that know what they are talking about we do have one of the toughest schedules.
We don't even have a top 5 toughest schedule in the SEC much less the country.Unless you think the East juggernauts are better than the West. Look at the some of the West schedules. A lot of theirs are backloaded, unlike ours. They have played some tough OOC opponents as well. Clemson, FSU, Wisconsin. Kinda ironic that they lost all these games. At the end of the season, the SOS's will look different. Doesn't matter, teams can only play who's on their schedule. I didn't say the Vols schedule is easy, just easier than some of the recent ones we've had. I will stick by my post. By the end of the year we will not have a top 5 toughest schedule in the SEC.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:27:07 EDT by volsboy » Logged

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 06:38:45 EDT »

So the NCAA does it by current game.  I believe the previous link was over the whole season, and it was some sort of computer power index. This one is strictly by records and records of opponents.  A much better measure.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

And, surprise surprise, we have the toughest schedule.  

BTW, here are some details.

Appy State 4-2 (only losses are to Vols and Miami)
Ohio 4-3
VaTech 5-2 (only other loss is upset at Syracuse )
Florida 5-1 (only loss to us, ranked #15 in country)
Uga 3-3
Tamu 6-0 (#6 in country)
Bammer 6-0 (#1 in country)

We haven't really played any bad teams, though Ohio and uga are average (but uga still loaded with SEC talent).  Our opponents are a combined 27-11, but if you take away the 5 losses to us, that's 27-6.  

Now, who was it that had a tougher schedule than us?  

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 06:42:00 EDT by BanditVol » Logged

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 06:46:50 EDT »

We don't even have a top 5 toughest schedule in the SEC much less the country.Unless you think the East juggernauts are better than the West. Look at the some of the West schedules. A lot of theirs are backloaded, unlike ours. They have played some tough OOC opponents as well. Clemson, FSU, Wisconsin. Kinda ironic that they lost all these games. At the end of the season, the SOS's will look different. Doesn't matter, teams can only play who's on their schedule. I didn't say the Vols schedule is easy, just easier than some of the recent ones we've had. I will stick by my post. By the end of the year we will not have a top 5 toughest schedule in the SEC.
Fiest rule of holes, stop digging
Oh, you just proved, once again ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 07:15:40 EDT »

Wow....funny thing, when I did my second post I had not even seen this.   I just didn't like the first SOS ranking I found because it was based on some sort of power index.  Those are always pretty weak IMO.

But then you post this.  Wow, just wow.  Your ability to distort reality is impressive.

I get what you are saying about the West...Auburn did play Clemson and Ole Miss played FSU, and LSU played Wisky.  Yes, the West is tough, and many of them are playing a tougher than usual schedule this year.  But here's the deal.  Take the two toughest (so far) teams out of that division, and the Vols have played them both.

How can you just ignore that?  On the one hand "West is so tough, so much tougher than the East", but then ignore the two teams that, per ESPN have between them a 93% chance to be the West champion...both undefeated, both in the top ten, ARE ON OUR SCHEDULE, and you just conveniently ignore that fact?

Here's how it works junior.  All the rest of the West teams get to play each other in addition to Tamu and bammer.  So yeah, Arkansas for instance plays both of them but also gets to play MSU.  Yes, Arkansas does also have to play  good Ole Miss and LSU teams, but how much better are Ole Miss and LSU than any East team? The gap is far less. 

In short, there is no way our schedule will be the 5th in the SEC by season's end.  It might not be the top, but it will at least be close.

Good news! We don't have to speculate.  That same link allows you to project end of season SOS based on current records.  This will of course change, but as of today we have the 7th toughest schedule including the records of our remaining 6 opponents.   And, get this....we are still the toughest in the SEC.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

(channeling my inner Joe Vols)....TYFP   

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 07:42:17 EDT »

Sagarin has our sched ranked 2nd hardest behind Stanford, FWIW.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 07:48:22 EDT »

When you play 4 top 25 teams in a row....and one being ranked 6th and the one being ranked 1st it makes your SOS high.....That will change over the next 5 weeks because all 5 have a losing record right now.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 08:07:45 EDT »

Sagarin has our sched ranked 2nd hardest behind Stanford, FWIW.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
And Stanford just played the domers ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 09:21:14 EDT »

When you play 4 top 25 teams in a row....and one being ranked 6th and the one being ranked 1st it makes your SOS high.....That will change over the next 5 weeks because all 5 have a losing record right now.

Yes, but as I point out above, the NCAA site actually factors in the remaining games and we are still 7th in the country.  The projection is not perfect, because the remaining teams will continue to lose, but by the same token our early opponents likely keep winning, so it's probably not a bad guess. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: