VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 12:03:34 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seriously, give me one damn reason to retain Jones for another season?  (Read 5240 times)
Creek Walker
« on: November 27, 2016, 05:19:38 EST »

Butch Jones just blew the only real argument he's had to this point, which is that his teams have improved each season. Finishing 8-4 with this talent would've been bad regardless of how it played out. Losing to Vanderbilt and South Carolina with this talent is pathetic.
SmokeyJoe
Re:
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 05:24:44 EST »

Only thing I can think of is no change will be made. Get real.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:26:04 EST »

At a minimum, Deboring has to go! If not...my 99.9% will become 100% Jones has to go!  Lose to usc jr and candy in the same year??  WTF?  
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 05:42:08 EST »

If not done correctly, it could get even worse.  Who would we be able to hire?
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 06:06:34 EST »

I think what is frustrating to most knowledgeable, reasonable fans is that they know almost EVERY coach in the SEC is a better in game coach than Butch. Additionally, Tennessee has to have a great recruiter as a head coach in order to compete (moreso than other teams), and while Butch showed flashes of that he is now trending down. I don't know who is out there that would come to UT that is a great recruiter. Could you pull someone back in from the NFL? There are just no good options now.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 06:11:47 EST »

I think the first step would be to get Blackburn hired as AD.
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 06:19:31 EST »

Without even checking the facts, I am willing to bet that Tennessee has NEVER given up the yardage and point totals back to back to back as we have in the last 3 weeks.  AND, against the bottom dwellers of the SEC (and college football in general).  I am far less concerned about Debord than about the entire defensive side of the ball.  I know we have had injuries, but injuries are an excuse against bama, not against Missouri, Kentucky, and Vandy.  I am not sure we can get rid of Jones because we have already exceeded our quota of stupid desperation hires, but we can mandate massive staff changes if he wishes to continue his rather lucrative career here. 

At a minimum, Deboring has to go! If not...my 99.9% will become 100% Jones has to go!  Lose to usc jr and candy in the same year??  WTF?  

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 06:27:30 EST »

If not done correctly, it could get even worse.  Who would we be able to hire?

No doubt, it could. It has to be handled carefully, and that's why it isn't going to happen this year, since there isn't an AD in place.

Who could Tennessee get? I think there are a number of coaches out there who would be better options than Butch Jones. Even with the attrition and the seniors/draft prospects who are leaving after this season, there is still quite a bit of talent on the roster for 2017. So if we were hypothetically hiring a coach right now, I think the program is on sound footing. The scary part is this: recruiting is already falling off under Jones. I hesitate to say "tanking," because I'm not sure it's quite that bad, although it could be if many of the 3-stars currently committed for '17 don't pan out, but it's certainly falling off. Most of his two heralded classes are already leaving or gone. If next season goes the way this season ended, and recruiting doesn't get any better, we could find ourselves sitting here one year from now, or two years from now, preparing to hire a head coach with the program in a state that isn't much better than it was in 2012.

So, yes, it could get even worse if Butch is fired...but I think it could also get even worse if Butch is retained.
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 06:54:34 EST »

Let's ask this question, "Is there a better available choice out there right now than Les Miles?"
Nobody has a better resume. Defense never seemed to be the problem for him at LSU. If you made him bring in a new accomplished OC/QB coach I think it would be an improvement over what we have now. I'm not saying Miles is great, in fact I thought he was way too lucky in the first half of his time at LSU. But he always recruited well, all though there is no guarantee he could do that without all the talent he had in his backyard at LSU. Miles is not ideal, but I don't if anyone out there is any bettter. Butch is not going to change. His contract runs through 2020. It was really with smoke and mirrors that we won 8 games this year. I know there's no chance in hell the UT AD makes a change but any distraction from the certain downward slope that is UT's future with Butch and this staff is welcomed.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 01:00:54 EST »

No doubt, it could. It has to be handled carefully, and that's why it isn't going to happen this year, since there isn't an AD in place.

Who could Tennessee get? I think there are a number of coaches out there who would be better options than Butch Jones. Even with the attrition and the seniors/draft prospects who are leaving after this season, there is still quite a bit of talent on the roster for 2017. So if we were hypothetically hiring a coach right now, I think the program is on sound footing. The scary part is this: recruiting is already falling off under Jones. I hesitate to say "tanking," because I'm not sure it's quite that bad, although it could be if many of the 3-stars currently committed for '17 don't pan out, but it's certainly falling off. Most of his two heralded classes are already leaving or gone. If next season goes the way this season ended, and recruiting doesn't get any better, we could find ourselves sitting here one year from now, or two years from now, preparing to hire a head coach with the program in a state that isn't much better than it was in 2012.

So, yes, it could get even worse if Butch is fired...but I think it could also get even worse if Butch is retained.
There is a way, and use the AD selection process to facilitate

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 01:39:47 EST »

No coach is perfect. All will have some goofs, but get someone as proven as possible. I'm not necessarily for Mullen at all, but I'd take him over Miles.

Here's what I said four years ago. In another thread I said Jones would be our Jim Donnan not bad, not great.

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=26040.0

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 05:05:00 EST »

Without even checking the facts, I am willing to bet that Tennessee has NEVER given up the yardage and point totals back to back to back as we have in the last 3 weeks.  AND, against the bottom dwellers of the SEC (and college football in general).  I am far less concerned about Debord than about the entire defensive side of the ball.  I know we have had injuries, but injuries are an excuse against bama, not against Missouri, Kentucky, and Vandy.  I am not sure we can get rid of Jones because we have already exceeded our quota of stupid desperation hires, but we can mandate massive staff changes if he wishes to continue his rather lucrative career here. 

Sounds like the right answer to me.  The offense could use improving, for sure, but the defense is a complete disaster.  If  BuJo doesn't get better help, he should help himself out the door.  Jim Bob Cooter would be a better HC than what we got now.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 09:24:51 EST »

What happened to Shoops defense?  This guy was lauded as a home run hire, most of us were thrilled.  I know we were decimated by injuries but even that, to me, doesn't justify the last three games. 
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 09:42:24 EST »

Injuries.....playing DE's who are 50 pounds lighter at DT.....sorry ass recruiting at DT and linebackers and even worse development. DBs that continue as they have for years that can't cover or tackle.....Shoop coming in and being told.....here is your staff Shoop...shut up and stop folks....if you are a good boy we might let you hire someone with your same defensive philosophy down the road.....and Shoop, I'm the head coach and I know more than you. So there.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 11:38:40 EST »

One reason? 

He keeps a damned fine journal in his back pocket. 

Other than that, I can't give you a legit reason. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: