VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 09:30:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I have no idea how our defense could be that bad  (Read 3634 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2016, 12:27:43 EST »

The Shoops hire is obviously a fail. That was just embarassing.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 12:50:35 EST »

Ranked 109th in total defense out of 128 D1 teams.....Bless the hearts of the teams 110-128.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 02:45:35 EST »

I still don't get it.  How could his defense be so bad?  Even with the injuries and the defense staff already here, those factors don't explain how bad it's been.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:03:33 EST »

I still don't get it.  How could his defense be so bad?  Even with the injuries and the defense staff already here, those factors don't explain how bad it's been.

Exactly.  I can understand the injuries making a difference, which is why I didn't say much earlier in the season, but there is no explanation for the last 3 games, and especially last night.  It was just very embarrassing.

At one point, Tim Priest said that Cam Sutton had been "getting abused (or used?) all night".  Maybe he has NFLitis? And we had unproven players at safety and nickel back, but our corner backs are the same we have had all year, plus Sutton back from injury.   I just don't understand it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 03:10:23 EST »

Exactly.  I can understand the injuries making a difference, which is why I didn't say much earlier in the season, but there is no explanation for the last 3 games, and especially last night.  It was just very embarrassing.

At one point, Tim Priest said that Cam Sutton had been "getting abused (or used?) all night".  Maybe he has NFLitis? And we had unproven players at safety and nickel back, but our corner backs are the same we have had all year, plus Sutton back from injury.   I just don't understand it.   

I think someone tweeted during the game that you'd have to go back to 1971 to find a game where Vandy had those kind of offensive numbers versus an SEC opponent.  Embarrassing is right, just mind boggling.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 03:27:11 EST »

GoVolsXtra

How bad is UT’s defense?

There’s not enough room for a detailed accounting here. But suffice to say, Vanderbilt’s 45 points were the most it had scored in an SEC game since 1971.

Something else worth noting: Vanderbilt quarterback Kyle Shurmur entered the game averaging 166.8 yards passing per game. He had 289 yards by halftime. By game's end, he had thrown for 416 yards.

The Commodores scored as many points against Tennessee as they did against Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida combined.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:31:08 EST »

GoVolsXtra

How bad is UT’s defense?

There’s not enough room for a detailed accounting here. But suffice to say, Vanderbilt’s 45 points were the most it had scored in an SEC game since 1971.

Something else worth noting: Vanderbilt quarterback Kyle Shurmur entered the game averaging 166.8 yards passing per game. He had 289 yards by halftime. By game's end, he had thrown for 416 yards.

The Commodores scored as many points against Tennessee as they did against Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida combined.

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 05:38:45 EST »

If you get zero push or rush from the DTs, the DEs and LBs are not as effective. If the LBs are weak and slow and have no holes, they cannot come up to make tackles. If they are out of position, they watch the RB as he passes by. After losing all the DTs we did, the backups were undersized and we now know why they were not in the rotation. After losing Reeves-Maybin with his bad shoulder, the backup LB to knee, and MLB to ankle, the lack of quality LB depth showed. After Sutton tore up his ankle, everyone should have known if he returned he was <100%. No DB can cover the length of time they had to with no pass rush most of the time. LBs and DBs are just poorly, poorly coached.

I put all the blame on Butch because it was his choice to fire and not replace the S&C coach and to have stuck with the DB coach as long as he has. It is easy to blame Shoop, but he did not hire his assistants, Butch did. There is no player development and no one seems to be playing better from year-to-year. Plus, I am still not convinced the defensive coaches know who their best players are for a given position. That and it seems a lot of players realize Butch is in over his head, only speaks in cliches, and will play the best practice player even when they cannot get it done on Saturday. This is evident in the choice of LBs that 90% of the time are never in position to make a tackle.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 06:32:55 EST by 73Volgrad » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 06:12:59 EST »

If you get zero push or rush from the DTs, the DEs and LBs are not as effective. If the LBs are weak and slow and how no holes, they cannot come up to make tackles. If they are out of position, they watch the RB as he passes by. After losing all the DTs we did, the backups were undersized and we now know why they were not in the rotation. After losing Reeves-Maybin with his bad shoulder, the backup LB to knee, and MLB to ankle, the lack of quality LB depth showed. After Sutton tore up his ankle, everyone should have known if he returned he was <100%. No DB can cover the length of time they had to with no pass rush most of the time. LBs and DBs are just poorly, poorly coached.

I put all the blame on Butch because it was his choice to fire and not replace the S&C coach and to have stuck with the DB coach as long as he has. It is easy to blame Shoop, but he did not hire his assistants, Butch did. There is no player development and no one seems to be playing better from year-to-year. Plus, I am still not convinced the defensive coaches know who their best players are for a given position. That and it seems a lot of players realize Butch is in over his head, only speaks in cliches, and will play the best practice player even when they cannot get it done on Saturday. This is evident in the choice of LBs that 90% of the time are never in position to make a tackle.

^Nailed it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 06:59:15 EST »

Again, seems obvious that defensive staff needs a shakeup.  Shoops probably stays, but if we start next season like we ended this he should be let go midseason, if not sooner.  Pressure is on, baby

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: