VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:00:45 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvin West pulls no punches on Butch  (Read 6716 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2016, 05:25:05 EST »

http://shoppernewsnow.com/marvin-west/eight-is-not-enough/#more-5820
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 06:04:01 EST »

Very good, and very fair also.  Does not write off Butch completely, gives him some praise where deserved, but also tells it like it is with all the issues.

Mr. West also does not appear to be offended by Butch's attitude.  Maybe a few of the other media can take notes from him also.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 07:39:23 EST »

Very good, and very fair also.  Does not write off Butch completely, gives him some praise where deserved, but also tells it like it is with all the issues.

If you mistook any of that for praise of Butch, you completely misunderstood Mr. West's sarcasm.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 03:02:28 EST »

If you mistook any of that for praise of Butch, you completely misunderstood Mr. West's sarcasm.

Like Bill, Butch is a decent guy, a life coach, an advocate of academics. That is of considerable importance.

Alas, Bill didn’t make it. Butch might earn a bronze statue if he is tough enough and links decency with more victories.

Not sarcasm.  I didn't say he praised him a whole bunch.   

The criticism was tough but fair and also constructive.  And yes, there was a lot of it.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 03:03:39 EST »

And only older readers will get the title.  Mr. West is showing his age. 

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 03:15:19 EST »

And only older readers will get the title.  Mr. West is showing his age. 
Watch yourself there sonny boy!
Mr. West was coaching Powell Little League when I was playing, back in the day

When we had West and Byrd writing we were getting good writing, unlike the hacks we have today, like the AH Adams.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 06:00:55 EST »

When we had West and Byrd writing we were getting good writing, unlike the hacks we have today, like the AH Adams.

^True Words....
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 06:05:41 EST »

Adams seems like a very bitter person.  Maybe his mommy didn't love him....

Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 07:41:00 EST »

Over the last 3 games, our offense ran 193 plays to our opponents 267 plays. That is 74 more plays the weakest part of our team was on the field or what equates to an entire extra game. With the defense as it was coming down the stretch, it is amazing that the staff not slow the game down and do all that it could to keep the defense off the field? From the numbers, it looks like just the opposite occurred.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:31:27 EST »

Sounds to me like Marvin was saying that Butch is a MAC level football coach.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 11:21:53 EST »

Adams is a sports journalist with no TN ties. He style of writing is antagonistic with the intent to cause reaction. He usually speaks the unfiltered truth and does not worship at the feet of Orange. He is not liked because he does not always say nice things about UT football. He is not an employee of UT and he does not owe UT a damn thing. I enjoy his columns because he mostly speaks the true and his mind and will poke the sleeping bear. Yes he is a smart-Alec. So what! Since when is it wrong to point out the stupid things the athletic department and UT coaches have done in the past. If the university was not so secretive and trying to hide behind lawyers all the time, the release of information would quell discontent and rumors. I do not agree with a lot of things he writes, but he has the right to be wrong and pig-headed. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 11:28:55 EST »

Adams is a sports journalist with no TN ties. He style of writing is antagonistic with the intent to cause reaction. He usually speaks the unfiltered truth and does not worship at the feet of Orange. He is not liked because he does not always say nice things about UT football. He is not an employee of UT and he does not owe UT a damn thing. I enjoy his columns because he mostly speaks the true and his mind and will poke the sleeping bear. Yes he is a smart-Alec. So what! Since when is it wrong to point out the stupid things the athletic department and UT coaches have done in the past. If the university was not so secretive and trying to hide behind lawyers all the time, the release of information would quell discontent and rumors. I do not agree with a lot of things he writes, but he has the right to be wrong and pig-headed. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

On the money. 

John is damned good at his job. Most of the oppostion are from people who aren't interested in objectivity when it comes to anything UT related. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 11:40:23 EST »

Same with most on here Herb. They can't handle the truth and don't want to listen to any objectivity. It is just too funny to tell folks here what they don't want to hear. Their heads almost explode.

volsboyinsodak
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 12:13:12 EST »

He has been a repeated jackass #badword# in my dealings with him

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 01:05:33 EST »

Same with most on here Herb. They can't handle the truth and don't want to listen to any objectivity. It is just too funny to tell folks here what they don't want to hear. Their heads almost explode.

What a complete joke!  Who made you or anyone else here the guardians or arbiters of "the truth" and "objectivity"?  The truth is that you and many others like to think your OPINIONS are the one and only "truth," and that being negative or bashing the "establishment" somehow constitutes being "objective."  What a crock of unadulterated BS.  All your "truth" and "objectivity" usually adds up to meaningless drivel and is rarely worthy of serious consideration.  I have no idea what the substance of this thread is, but your comments convince me that it doesn't matter.  Those comments display complete ignorance coupled with over inflated self-importance -- a losing combination.
Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 03:32:47 EST »

I often disagree with Adams and sometimes find myself seething at his opinions. Remember last year when he decided that Tennessee needed to dump 3rd Down For What because of the Title IX lawsuits and because Lil Jon has other songs with lyrics that are demeaning towards women? It was nonsensical. But that's what Adams is paid to do. The entire point of sports columnists is to be loud and proud with their very opinionated approach. And John Adams is very good at what he does...not just good at getting everyone riled up, but he's a very good writer.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 03:40:18 EST »

I often disagree with Adams and sometimes find myself seething at his opinions. Remember last year when he decided that Tennessee needed to dump 3rd Down For What because of the Title IX lawsuits and because Lil Jon has other songs with lyrics that are demeaning towards women? It was nonsensical. But that's what Adams is paid to do. The entire point of sports columnists is to be loud and proud with their very opinionated approach. And John Adams is very good at what he does...not just good at getting everyone riled up, but he's a very good writer.
I agree with the first point, disagree greatly to the latter point.  I have seen not a lot of good writing from him, at all.  For a columnist, very little thought seems to go into his columns IMO.

And, he is an #badword# of the first order.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 06:04:36 EST »

I never said Adams bothers me in particular.  He rarely, if ever does, and frankly I agree with Pirate that a lot of what he says is pretty obvious stuff.  Sometimes he does make a point I hadn't considered before though.  And I of all people am not bothered at all by someone being a contrarian.   

But I was just comparing him now to West.  Totally different styles.  West is laid back and gregarious, Adams comes across as a guy who is bitter at something in life...what, I have no idea, and takes it out on his keyboard.

That's totally subjective.  But I definitely believe you can get a take on a writer from their style, and that's my opinion of Adams.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: