VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 01:54:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am so saddened by the fires down there. Hope all of you are safe. I was born  (Read 2099 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2016, 04:09:04 EST »

1960 and I don't recall many wildfires at all there. I hope they get it under control. Pray for rain.

volsboyinsodak
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 06:27:47 EST »

Not normal down here because we usually have so much rain -- but most areas in TN, GA, NC and SC are in an extreme drought......that along with 87 mph winds on Monday night caused an unheard of firestorm that spread so fast...there was no man power that could contain it.   We've had numerous wildfires here in GA as well, just not so close to a major town....today they announced those were 95% contained now.   

The devastation in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge and surrounding areas is just horrible -- I've cried many times the last few days.  I was born and raised in Knoxville and spent much of my summers in the mountains either on vacation, visiting cousins or staying with friends that owned a hotel.....I've always loved the area and my heart is breaking for everyone....especially those families that have lost loved ones.   As of noon today, there are 13 confirmed deaths -- afraid there may be more over the next few days.   Add to that the loss of life due to tornadoes this week in McMinn county...it's been a devastating week in E. Tenn. 

My husband and I are in the N GA Mountains -- and fire is our one major fear....we had 1 wildfire very close to us last week, but luckily they were able to contain it quickly.....it is a scary time where we live and we pray for rain every single day. 

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 07:36:39 EST »

I overlooked the arson aspect. Just sad. Hope all responsible are caught.

volsboyinsodak
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 10:10:25 EST »

Add to that the loss of life due to tornadoes this week in McMinn county...it's been a devastating week in E. Tenn. 

My Mamaw used to take me to the Big K store in the very same building that the tornado hit.  Her old house was about half a mile away from there.  The original Athens Hardee's used to be right there as well, although now that place is a Dry Cleaners, I think.  It's still hard to believe Athens was hit by a Tornado. 

Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 10:30:13 EST »

https://www.facebook.com/WVLT8/videos/10154767894614469/

Hopefully the link to this video works - shows a good view of the damage.  I'm pretty sure the house that was destroyed on the hill behind Dollar General was an Ante Bellum home that had just recently been restored.  All of my childhood that home sat derelict hidden behind thick trees and kudzu.  That is sad.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:33:44 EST by Coupe De VOL » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: