VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:37:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question...if you could dump Butch and have Les take over....would you do it?*  (Read 12268 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 05:45:30 EST »

I think a guy to keep an eye on is Colorado's Mike McIntyre.  He played in the SEC (Vandy) and had a couple stops as an assistant in this league.  As a HC, he completely turned around San Jose State (from 1-12 in his first year to 10-2 in his last) and now he's doing the same thing at CU.  He's only making 2.2M right now.  He'll probably get a raise soon, but it still won't be SEC money. If he proves not to be a fluke next year, he would be near the top of my board.

UGADawginVA
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 11:43:05 EST »

No ... If you could dump Smart for Les would you do it?

Hell no...sure we were not good this year..lots of freshmen on D..bad OL...no WR to throw to....true fresh QB...

BUT....

We currently have the #3 recruiting class in the country next year..3 WR who are over 6'2"..stud DL's and LB's...along with highly rated OL kids who will be starting next year...
Plus we are in line for the #1 class in 2018...

The only way you are going to be able to beat Nick is to match the talent...and thats what Kirby is trying to do now...

Sure this year sucked...but the ceiling is really high for this program...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:45:01 EST by UGADawginVA » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 01:14:31 EST »

Les would only be an available option if he brings an accomplished OC with him on day 1, no promissory notes

Frankly, if Butch were to leave, for any reason, then the same goes.  If we hired a defensive minded coach he needs to identify his OC as part of the process and vice versa.
For whatever reason he was let go Jancek's defenses were a schematic disaster IMO.

Les brought in multiple "aggressive OCs" at LSU, and it did exactly squat.

He also would not have such an easy time recruiting at Tennessee.  He's a good coach, but the talent at LSU was always second only to bammer, and that matters.

Just say "no"....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 01:16:09 EST »

Most talking heads I've heard say Kelly will be at ND next year unless he leaves on his won. They were saying that last season he was 1 win away from being in the 4 team playoffs and he won't be fired this year.

Yes.  Like Butch, next year is critical for him.  Butch may follow his mentor one last time next year...either in a great comeback, or by getting fired.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 01:19:04 EST »

I think a guy to keep an eye on is Colorado's Mike McIntyre.  He played in the SEC (Vandy) and had a couple stops as an assistant in this league.  As a HC, he completely turned around San Jose State (from 1-12 in his first year to 10-2 in his last) and now he's doing the same thing at CU.  He's only making 2.2M right now.  He'll probably get a raise soon, but it still won't be SEC money. If he proves not to be a fluke next year, he would be near the top of my board.

Great points, and I agree completely.  Just hope he is also a great recruiter....

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2016, 12:30:23 EST »

Agree....Florida didn't sniff us on the injury front. They had them yes, but not on our level.

They lost 7 defensive starters during the year.  You don't think that is significant? 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2016, 12:38:24 EST »

They lost 7 defensive starters during the year.  You don't think that is significant? 
Part of it was the timing Herb, they lost 2-3 key players late in the season

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 12:56:56 EST »

Part of it was the timing Herb, they lost 2-3 key players late in the season

And they still found a way to win at LSU while we were losing to South Carolina and Vandy. 

Point being, yeah - we had injuries, but so does everybody else.  That excuse may be valid against the better teams in the league, but not for losses to bottom feeders. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2016, 03:37:28 EST »

And they still found a way to win at LSU while we were losing to South Carolina and Vandy. 

Point being, yeah - we had injuries, but so does everybody else.  That excuse may be valid against the better teams in the league, but not for losses to bottom feeders. 

I keep hearing that Vandy is a 'bottom feeder" or as someone posted on another site "one of the two worst teams in the league".  By any measure they are not.  They beat uga, drilled ole miss, and beat us.  They nearly beat Florida.  This year they are a middle of the pack SEC team.  We still should not have lost them, but in the last half of the season they were probably in the top half of the SEC.  I know the SEC is weak, but at this point Vandy is most definitely not the worst team in it as posted on that other board.

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2016, 03:45:46 EST »

I keep hearing that Vandy is a 'bottom feeder" or as someone posted on another site "one of the two worst teams in the league".  By any measure they are not.  They beat uga, drilled ole miss, and beat us.  They nearly beat Florida.  This year they are a middle of the pack SEC team.  We still should not have lost them, but in the last half of the season they were probably in the top half of the SEC.  I know the SEC is weak, but at this point Vandy is most definitely not the worst team in it as posted on that other board.

Thanks for making my point. 

When we have to start building up Vandy to justify a loss to them, we are truly in a bad place. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2016, 03:48:45 EST »

Thanks for making my point. 

When we have to start building up Vandy to justify a loss to them, we are truly in a bad place. 

Not justifying the loss at all, but Vandy is not the worst team in the league.  They are middle of the pack.

It completely sucks that we lost to them and there is no excuse for it, but they could beat any East team at the moment, including Florida, and I think pretty much everyone except LSU and bammer and maybe Auburn from the West.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: