VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 07:19:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is turning up in my FB feed...  (Read 4228 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2016, 12:11:33 EST »

...This out of state reporter sure seems to have pissed a lot of people off up in G'burg.  I didn't see the entire presser.  Any of you locals see it?  What exactly did she say?

https://www.change.org/p/wlos-13-the-removal-of-reporter-kim-king-from-her-position-at-wlos-14-asheville

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 12:18:43 EST »

I listened to it this morning -- she was very rude and kept asking "who dropped the ball....why didn't you evacuate earlier like they did in the NC fires -- nobody died in those fires!"   It pissed me off -- but the mayor of Sevier county shut her down and told her it wasn't time for any Monday morning QBs....they'll look at everything at the appropriate time, but there are other issues to handle first.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 12:30:11 EST »

I listened to it this morning -- she was very rude and kept asking "who dropped the ball....why didn't you evacuate earlier like they did in the NC fires -- nobody died in those fires!"   It pissed me off -- but the mayor of Sevier county shut her down and told her it wasn't time for any Monday morning QBs....they'll look at everything at the appropriate time, but there are other issues to handle first.

Well, I don't know about the NC fires, but the TN fire was started by arson, and spread very quickly by 80MPH winds.  Beyond the usual "be aware of the dry, windy conditions" I don't think anyone could have predicted exactly when and where it would happen.  Also, did the NC fires hit any populated areas?  I didn't hear about it if they did.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:38:32 EST »

No plan works with 80 mph winds, or probably even 35.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 12:38:52 EST »

I don't know but when she started the blame game with officials is when people got really pissed.  They are calling for her job!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 01:24:55 EST »

I don't know but when she started the blame game with officials is when people got really pissed.  They are calling for her job!!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hope she loses her job....But the media usually gets by with this crap.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 05:58:49 EST »

Well, I don't know about the NC fires, but the TN fire was started by arson, and spread very quickly by 80MPH winds.  Beyond the usual "be aware of the dry, windy conditions" I don't think anyone could have predicted exactly when and where it would happen.  Also, did the NC fires hit any populated areas?  I didn't hear about it if they did.

Yeah, in fact I was in Pigeon Forge on Monday with my family.. we noticed all the smoke but went about our day of shopping and lunch.  We usually drive on up through Gatlinburg and take Hwy 321 home and as I was getting near Gburg (about 5pm that evening) I noticed a dramatic increase in smoke and knew something was really wrong, so I turned around and came back through PF and Sevierville.  It wasn't until we got home and happened to see the live coverage on the news that night that we realized the severity of the situation.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 04:13:15 EST »

In fact, the notice for evacuation of Gatlinburg came only over TV and radio 2 hours after the fire was in Gatlinburg. No one in government issued a cell phone blast (like Amber alerts) for an emergency evacuation order. So she had every right to ask why city, county, and state officials did not do their jobs. TEMA is responsible for issuing the alert, but you cannot find one TEMA official that can explain why one was not issued or who dropped the ball. This is just another example of public officials saying now is not the time to ask those questions. We will look at that later. And then later never comes because they hope the public forgets how bad public officials can be. Did it spread faster than it imagined? Yes. Were there plans for this? I doubt it because planning costs money and dedication.

I predict this will never get looked at and if the state TEMA is at fault, they will refuse to accept any blame. So do not blame that reporter for during her job asking local and state officials why they were so lax in carrying out their duty to protect and serve. They were complacent and unprepared. The emergency evacuation order should have been broadcast over every cell phone in the county and it was not. Ordering evacuation after it has engulfed your town is a little late.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 04:33:50 EST »

In fact, the notice for evacuation of Gatlinburg came only over TV and radio 2 hours after the fire was in Gatlinburg. No one in government issued a cell phone blast (like Amber alerts) for an emergency evacuation order. So she had every right to ask why city, county, and state officials did not do their jobs. TEMA is responsible for issuing the alert, but you cannot find one TEMA official that can explain why one was not issued or who dropped the ball. This is just another example of public officials saying now is not the time to ask those questions. We will look at that later. And then later never comes because they hope the public forgets how bad public officials can be. Did it spread faster than it imagined? Yes. Were there plans for this? I doubt it because planning costs money and dedication.

I predict this will never get looked at and if the state TEMA is at fault, they will refuse to accept any blame. So do not blame that reporter for during her job asking local and state officials why they were so lax in carrying out their duty to protect and serve. They were complacent and unprepared. The emergency evacuation order should have been broadcast over every cell phone in the county and it was not. Ordering evacuation after it has engulfed your town is a little late.
She had the right to ask
Not the right to be a BITCH

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: