VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 06:14:03 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Probably a lot of people will disagree, but I personally do not think  (Read 3915 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2016, 02:26:07 EST »

that you should be eligible for the playoff if you don't win your conference championship.

Before this could actually be put into practice, though, I'd like to see conferences with multiple divisions all set up division titles to be based, first and foremost, on divisional records (not overall conference records as the first criteria). I'm definitely biased based on our annual game with Bama and admit to that, but I feel that is the only equitable method for determining divisional champions when a full conference schedule is not possible for all teams.

Just my $0.02 worth.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 03:07:27 EST »

This is where I think Clay Travis (of all people...imagine that) had the best idea: Merge the power teams into four 16-team super-conferences (SEC, Big 10, ACC and Pac-12). You effectively have an 8-team playoff that begins with the conference championship games.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 03:41:36 EST »

This is where I think Clay Travis (of all people...imagine that) had the best idea: Merge the power teams into four 16-team super-conferences (SEC, Big 10, ACC and Pac-12). You effectively have an 8-team playoff that begins with the conference championship games.
That's the most sensible thing to do...although 8-team divisions would suck even worse than 8-team divisions.

I suppose you could have 4 divisions of 4, and add another round of playoffs.  If so, I would think eliminating a regular season game would be necessary...or do away with most of the bowls.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 03:53:58 EST »

They will go to 8 before long and should. There is going to some good teams left at home this year. Michigan and Wisc. Oklahoma for example.

Early in the playoff they said conference champions matter....A lot. This morning they said not as much. IMO they are doing their best to protect the big dogs. Also...I don't think if FL had beat Bama today you would have FL go and Bama stays home. Need to go to 8.....have the five Power 5 champions and 3 at large.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 05:04:38 EST »

They will go to 8 before long and should. There is going to some good teams left at home this year. Michigan and Wisc. Oklahoma for example.

Early in the playoff they said conference champions matter....A lot. This morning they said not as much. IMO they are doing their best to protect the big dogs. Also...I don't think if FL had beat Bama today you would have FL go and Bama stays home. Need to go to 8.....have the five Power 5 champions and 3 at large.

This is actually the model that I like the most. Win your conference championship and you get a bid. Aside from that, there are three other spots available so there are always options for the '3 best teams' that didn't win their conference championship.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 04:24:22 EST »

Fowler made a great point last night on ESPN. Last week, even with a terrible OOC schedule, Washington was in at number 4. This week, they beat number 8 Colorado by 31. Now a lot of folks think that they might be out.  Their OOC schedule didn't change this week.  If they are eliminated, the early rankings have little to no value. How can you now move them out of the fourth spot?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 04:38:25 EST »

Fowler made a great point last night on ESPN. Last week, even with a terrible OOC schedule, Washington was in at number 4. This week, they beat number 8 Colorado by 31. Now a lot of folks think that they might be out.  Their OOC schedule didn't change this week.  If they are eliminated, the early rankings have little to no value. How can you now move them out of the fourth spot?

Yep.....It's why they shouldn't have playoff polls the last 2 weeks.....You sit yourself for this crap. You have mud in your eyes if you move Washington out now.

What this will prove today is....Conference Champions don't matter and playing a VERY WEAK OOC schedule doesn't matter. Washington's OOC schedule is 127th out of 128 teams.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 07:33:52 EST »

So the BCS made some situations that caused people to move away from the computer ranking and mathematical sos. A human commitee would be unbiased and factor in a human determined sos and reward conference champions.
Rigghhhhttt...that lasted about till ...now.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 09:36:57 EST »

The humans on the committee wanted Ohio State in the mix period. They wanted them to play Clemson in an elimination game. That should be evident from last week. We see what scheduling tough out-of-conference team got Oklahoma (two losses) and out of play off. For every other team in America, you needed to play for conference championship or be one. Unless you are Ohio State. It should be obvious to everyone that the selection committee was biased toward the big name schools (i.e, the traditional powers). NCAA needs to give the committee strict rigid guidelines and takeaway the right for them to chose a team simply because "Well we think this team is better".

And for all you people screaming this Final Four cheapens the importance of the regular season, tell that to Penn State. Had they beaten a bad Pitt team, they would be in and Ohio State out. So in essence all regular season games are playoff games because lose 2, you are out. Lose 1 game and have a national brand and you get in because "Well we think this team is better". This year none of their stated criteria matter. Because, "Well we think this team is better" so we will ignore all the guidelines.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 10:54:44 EST »

I hate OSU more than anybody......They had 5 top 25 wins and 2 wins in the top 10 at the time....They went to Norman and beat the ever loving crap out of Oklahoma....They beat Michigan who beat PSU by 39 points.

PSU had 2 losses.....lost to Pitt and Peterman and got beat down by 39 points to Michigan.

IMO 2 things happened today.....Conference championships mean nothing unless the 2 teams playing are equal in the eyes of the committee...such as a No. ranked Bama playing a No. 2-3 ranked Florida-UT-UGA in the SECCG......The other thing today showed is very weak OOC schedule means nothing. As I posted above Washington's OOC schedule was ranked 127th out of 128 D1 teams.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 11:03:06 EST »

The humans on the committee wanted Ohio State in the mix period. They wanted them to play Clemson in an elimination game. That should be evident from last week. We see what scheduling tough out-of-conference team got Oklahoma (two losses) and out of play off. For every other team in America, you needed to play for conference championship or be one. Unless you are Ohio State. It should be obvious to everyone that the selection committee was biased toward the big name schools (i.e, the traditional powers). NCAA needs to give the committee strict rigid guidelines and takeaway the right for them to chose a team simply because "Well we think this team is better".

And for all you people screaming this Final Four cheapens the importance of the regular season, tell that to Penn State. Had they beaten a bad Pitt team, they would be in and Ohio State out. So in essence all regular season games are playoff games because lose 2, you are out. Lose 1 game and have a national brand and you get in because "Well we think this team is better". This year none of their stated criteria matter. Because, "Well we think this team is better" so we will ignore all the guidelines.

I agree with everything you said above, except for the bolded section. I think that PSU is a much tougher team to leave out if they had not lost to Pitt, but I don't think OSU would have been out even then. I think that either Washington gets left out of PSU still gets the shaft (probably based on what the committee would have said was a blow out loss to Michigan that could not be ignored).

In short, I think OSU was in regardless. There's no way we will ever know. It's really irrelevant. But it's interesting to talk about.
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 11:40:37 EST »

I would just like to point out that the mere fact that we're even having this conversation proves James Franklin's worth as a head coach. I absolutely cannot stand the jerk, but I recall some said he was not a very good coach even though he led Vandy to 9 wins.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 01:14:00 EST »

I would just like to point out that the mere fact that we're even having this conversation proves James Franklin's worth as a head coach. I absolutely cannot stand the jerk, but I recall some said he was not a very good coach even though he led Vandy to 9 wins.

He's a darn good coach....Can't believe I just admitted that.

This season was the first season since the NCAA penalties that they are back to the 85 scholarship limit.....When they were hit just a few years ago...they lost several scholarships......had a few players that were already on the team transfer without transfer penalties.....and had commits run....not walk away from their commitments. Then they had O'Brien come in and leave after 2 years for Houston.

Pretty amazing how they've overcome that, IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: