VTTW Board Index
April 27, 2024, 02:09:38 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like Debord is gone?  (Read 9680 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:32:15 EST »

C&P from TOS.

We have verified with multiple sources this morning that Mike DeBord is continuing his coaching career as the new offensive coordinator at Indiana. DeBord was set to retire home to Indiana which is why his entire family was in Nashville. This opportunity is the best of both worlds with him calling Indiana home. An announcement is expected in the next 24 hours from the Hoosiers.
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 06:42:31 EST »

Come on down, Mark Helfrich!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:15:53 EST »

Planned to retire, till the Indiana job became available

per VQ

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:38:38 EST »

JMO....but Debord would be down my list of coaches that need go currently on the staff. I spent some one on one time talking with Debord last month when he, Butch and Mahoney we here for the in-home with Trey Smith. He was a very interesting person to talk with.

I've got a feeling he was gone after this season anyway.
TheRealOrange
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:45:32 EST »

I've got a feeling he was gone after this season anyway.

Everything I've read indicates what Pirate said above; he was going to retire but then the Indiana job opened up. So, he gets to go home and work a bit longer.  Win-win for him.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 07:47:38 EST »

I remember there being alot of talk that we were stuck with Debord, since Butch woukd never cut ties with his mentor.  However it went down, we don't have to worry about that anymore.  Now, will the new OC be allowed to run the offense?  That's the question.

Figured Debord would retire, surprised he's going to Indiana.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 08:09:03 EST »

Good luck to him at IU.  He took a lot of flack in Knoxville (much of it undeserved), but on the whole, I thought he did a very good job.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 08:26:07 EST »

Come on down, Mark Helfrich!

Wrong-  We're getting Chip Kelly.  To be our OC.  I know it's true, because I read it on the VFL Facebook page.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:28:31 EST »

Agree with the posts above that say he did a pretty good job, and also agree that most of the flack was undeserved).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 01:01:56 EST »

Wrong-  We're getting Chip Kelly.  To be our OC.  I know it's true, because I read it on the VFL Facebook page.

Be careful....don't laugh to hard...may have Kelly as OC and Helfrich as QB corch...John G. told me this this afternoon as we were riding around Knoxville looking for houses.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 01:30:52 EST »

Be careful....don't laugh to hard...may have Kelly as OC and Helfrich as QB corch...John G. told me this this afternoon as we were riding around Knoxville looking for houses.

Are we also going to have Peyton Manning as one of those special "consultants" that Saban loves so much?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 01:33:39 EST »

Are we also going to have Peyton Manning as one of those special "consultants" that Saban loves so much?

Far more likely than him ever coaching IMO.  I could see it happening, particularly if he mostly teleworked as a film consultant.

I did read where Butch is going to use one of the five allowed slots for a strength coach, which apparently is one type of consultant under the definition of such.  He also mentioned that the other 4 slots were already full.

But...if Peyton ever showed so much as a glimmer of interest....all four are expendable.  I don't care what they do.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 01:44:31 EST »

Far more likely than him ever coaching IMO.  I could see it happening, particularly if he mostly teleworked as a film consultant.

I did read where Butch is going to use one of the five allowed slots for a strength coach, which apparently is one type of consultant under the definition of such.  He also mentioned that the other 4 slots were already full.

But...if Peyton ever showed so much as a glimmer of interest....all four are expendable.  I don't care what they do.   
We are filling an open S&C position that was left open with the firing of the previous S&C head guy
It was never filled, the current head football S&C coach just assumed some of the duties.

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 02:06:28 EST »

We are filling an open S&C position that was left open with the firing of the previous S&C head guy
It was never filled, the current head football S&C coach just assumed some of the duties.

Yep...still a head scratcher.

One of the most...if not the most important hire we will make this offseason.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 03:57:12 EST »

I've heard rumor that Arnold Schwarzenegger is top priority for S&C coach!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 04:04:12 EST »

I've heard rumor that Arnold Schwarzenegger is top priority for S&C coach!
Naw, unavailable, too busy learning the lines "You're fired"

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 04:33:56 EST »

Naw, unavailable, too busy learning the lines "You're fired"

I haven't watched that show, but I would hope he would come up with something more original, like "Hasta la vista, baby", "You will NOT be bock". or "Get out of my boardroom if you want to live".

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2017, 04:26:50 EST »

Just don't let Helfrich any where near the defense..lol. Oregon's was awful. Their offense wasn't as potent as in the past either. When Kelly coached at Oregon, did he call the plays or did he have an OC that did it? Now those teams could score some points. As I recall Kelly called the plays.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 04:36:10 EST »

Just don't let Helfrich any where near the defense..lol. Oregon's was awful. Their offense wasn't as potent as in the past either. When Kelly coached at Oregon, did he call the plays or did he have an OC that did it? Now those teams could score some points. As I recall Kelly called the plays.

Who would you prefer? And hiring Doug Nussmeier from Florida or Steve Sarkisian from Alabama aren't options. (Just wanted to get that out of the way up front, since you're so enamored with our rivals.)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2017, 05:36:04 EST »

Yes.  Because that's exactly what we would do.  Hire a former OC to be our defensive coach.  

Here is something that might help you as you go through life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9tt7iI0VV8

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2017, 06:48:18 EST »

I haven't watched that show, but I would hope he would come up with something more original, like "Hasta la vista, baby", "You will NOT be bock". or "Get out of my boardroom if you want to live".
How about "Consider this a divorce"

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2017, 09:32:19 EST »

Helfrich isn't coming to UT.  He's just not.  One day at MSB practice doesn't mean anything other than that he was in Nashville visiting with his former QB and decided to get out of hit hotel room. 

If I had to bet the farm, my money would go on either Scott or Azzani.  Butch is all about comfort level.  And has been said many times before - it's his offense.  It's going to be run the way he wants it run. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2017, 09:56:58 EST »

Helfrich isn't coming to UT.  He's just not.  One day at MSB practice doesn't mean anything other than that he was in Nashville visiting with his former QB and decided to get out of hit hotel room.  

If I had to bet the farm, my money would go on either Scott or Azzani.  Butch is all about comfort level.  And has been said many times before - it's his offense.  It's going to be run the way he wants it run.  

I wouldn't be so sure about Helfrich. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if Butch promoted from within, but let me say this: If Zach Azzani is promoted to OC, I'm finished until Butch is gone. I won't be missed, but no way am I buying tickets to anything to see a team coached by a guy who is insistent upon digging his own grave.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2017, 10:06:18 EST »

I wouldn't be so sure about Helfrich. With that said, it wouldn't surprise me if Butch promoted from within, but let me say this: If Zach Azzani is promoted to OC, I'm finished until Butch is gone. I won't be missed, but no way am I buying tickets to anything to see a team coached by a guy who is insistent upon digging his own grave.

Not saying that I am in any way in favor of Azzani being the OC.  Just that Butch likes comfort and that would fit his desire to continue to be comfortable. 

As I asked once before, is Helfrich going to take a job working for a coach who has a decent chance of being fired after next year?   I just don't see that one.  He doesn't have to jump at the first, second, third, or even fourth job offered to him.  He has a sizable buyout.  He can afford to sit back and wait on something that makes sense for him. 

And one other thing to remember - Butch's reputation is out there among coaches now. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 10:50:09 EST »

I would be good with Scott.  He performed well as interim HC at Miami and it seems he has a good offensive mind.  He hasn't called plays, yet but I think game plan and game prep more important.

With a good QB coach I think the pairing would work well

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: