VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 10:51:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking news...  (Read 7505 times)
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2017, 05:06:35 EST »

They are saying that Fulmer is almost a done deal for AD
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 05:37:47 EST »

Unbelievable if true.....
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:47:55 EST »

Wow.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 01:10:40 EST »

I'll keep an open mind.  Maybe PF will surprise me and do a great job.  But I don't like this.  Not one bit.

FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 02:10:17 EST »

You have to be joking.

This has to be joke, right?

11B4PJ3F7
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 02:18:13 EST »

If true, I am disappointed that once again we will have made a head scratching decision. Fulmer is all Vol but him going R.O.A.D. is the reason we started down this path and he has zero qualifications or experience for the position. Blackburn was a rare opportunity to hire someone on the way up.            
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 02:36:30 EST »

I'll keep an open mind.  Maybe PF will surprise me and do a great job.  But I don't like this.  Not one bit.

I have absolutely ZERO faith that Fulmer will do an adequate job. This is an awful move. Unbelievable.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 02:46:03 EST »

I have absolutely ZERO faith that Fulmer will do an adequate job. This is an awful move. Unbelievable.

I think that the problems up on the hill are getting exposed. There are far too many decisions being made that are for the betterment of person making the decision, not the University. This is just unfathomable.

11B4PJ3F7
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:51 EST »

The powers that be have lost their fizzleing minds.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 04:58:30 EST »

Well, DB was my first choice... But honestly it could be worse, imo.   
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 05:01:31 EST »

Well, DB was my first choice... But honestly it could be worse, imo.   

I'm not sure, to be honest. I mean, it's true that Fulmer is a great ambassador for the program and he loves and is loyal to Tennessee...but the same could be said for a lot of us, and we certainly don't have the qualifications to be AD.

My biggest hangup is this: Go back to the end of the Fulmer regime, and what (besides discipline) did we all decide was his biggest weakness, the one thing that led to his downfall? Hiring and firing coaches.

I think it's going to be a disaster. I will be happy if I'm wrong, but I'm not hopeful.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:09:15 EST »

I think it's going to be a disaster. I will be happy if I'm wrong, but I'm not hopeful.

Alls I can say is, I hope you're wrong, too.   
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 05:17:14 EST »

What I hear is that Fulmer is a viable candidate and not the leading candidate. I think the Alumni groups and big money are behind all the press because that provides cover for Davenport to chose the Cincinnati AD. Fulmer failed as a coach because he hired horrible assistants and would not fire them. Being loyal to your school is admirable. Being qualified and competent to do the job is better. Let Fulmer be the good will and fund-raising ambassador if need be, but UT does not owe him another penny.  
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:23:23 EST »

What drives me nuts are the folks even mentioning him for the AD position in the first place. I like Fulmer, but he is NOT AD material....which I think few can argue he is. My question is: Why? What good does it do the University to put him in a position where he will surely blunder? It's just stupid homerism.

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 05:42:25 EST »

I might be wrong but he was fired because he had lost control over the one program he was in charge of.....UT paid him 6 million to go away. I'm not sure that even as dysfunctional as UT is they'd hire Fulmer to be in charge of the whole UT athletic department. Best I remember when we were in the hiring process before hiring Hart this same Fulmer stuff was out there too.

You fire someone then hire them back? Talk about being a laughing stock.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 06:05:00 EST »

Make Fulmer the Senior Special Liaison to the President, or whatever, but don't pay him a nickel, and don't let him make decisions. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 11:03:55 EST »

Other than RS, who actually was fired eventually, we ho did Fulmer hold on to that long?

Although not perfect, Chiefs D was usu ally pretty dam good. Dan Brooks was a hell of a DL coach, and so forth.

Having said that, I would question Fulmer being AD, but who knows, it might wotlrk out. He at least knows football. The last former D1 coach we had was Dickey and he was one of our best ADs ever, at least for football.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:47 EST »

Good question about holding on to hires too long Bandit. My take is Sanders was obviously a disaster, but one not mitigated by the Clawfense. I also question Fulmer's OL hires outside of Mike Barry, who did a great job from 1998-01, but then was apparently shown the door.

Fulmer did make many quality hires on defense with Caldwell, Chavis, and Brooks.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:05 EST »

Good question about holding on to hires too long Bandit. My take is Sanders was obviously a disaster, but one not mitigated by the Clawfense. I also question Fulmer's OL hires outside of Mike Barry, who did a great job from 1998-01, but then was apparently shown the door.

Fulmer did make many quality hires on defense with Caldwell, Chavis, and Brooks.

Funny that Clawson has been very successful everywhere he has been, with the exception of the one year he worked with Fulmer. 

Clawson was never given the go aheady to implement his offense.  Fulmer had a big thumb on top of him.  We never saw what Clawson's offense actually looked like.  To blame him for any of Fulmer's issues is just not reasonable. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 11:24:44 EST »

The Dickey comparison is apples to oranges. Dickey only coached at Tennessee 6 years, was not viewed as being one of Tennessee's most successful coaches, had not been fired by Tennessee, and had not coached at Tennessee in 16 years.

I think one of the best comparisons to the projected situation is Alvarez at Wisconsin, and even then Alvarez wasn't fired by Wisconsin. See the Wisky Athletics Department under Alvarez's tutelage. It has been a cluster.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 03:49:27 EST »

Hyams:

Multiple sources: Reports that UT hiring Phillip Fulmer as AD `almost done' are incorrect. Timeline for hiring is April or May, maybe March

Tennessee athletic director search committee: Charlie Anderson,
Jimmy Haslam, Raja Jubran, Peyton Manning, Donna Thomas, Don Bruce

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 07:44:44 EST »

Pretty good article here...

So one of two things is happening here. It may be that those sources are correct and there’s a handshake agreement with all key parties on Fulmer, which would make a sham of all official search proceedings to come.

I doubt it. More likely, those two sources represent a faction that is pushing hard for Fulmer and using the media to do a little public litmus test. And perhaps gearing up to ram him through in case this new chancellor actually has the gall to defy them.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/ut/2017/01/18/rexrode-warning-tennessees-next-ad-youve-got-mess-address/96712552/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: