VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 11:08:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW! What a win by the LV's!!!  (Read 6748 times)
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2017, 02:03:41 EST »

JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:09:00 EST »

Really fortunate on that last foul call. Glad they were able to get the W.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 08:10:50 EST »

But...but...but...but...Holly is just an awful, horrible, turible coach.  How did that happen?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 03:50:53 EST »

Even a blind hog finds an acorn occasionally. That is why. Sometimes the players are better than coaches.
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:47:05 EST »

But...but...but...but...Holly is just an awful, horrible, turible coach.  How did that happen?   

Good question. Unfortunately, it probably won't be enough to salvage another underachieving season.
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:12:03 EST »

Today the Lady Vols lost in double OT to a Georgia team that was just .500 overall, and has a losing record in SEC play.

Any snarky comments about our head coach today?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 05:25:55 EST »

Today the Lady Vols lost in double OT to a Georgia team that was just .500 overall, and has a losing record in SEC play.

Any snarky comments about our head coach today?

No.  But it's a long season.

Feel free ton continue reveling in Vols losses though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 06:03:03 EST »

Lol. Reveling? Sure, if you want to call it that. According to you, anything but sunshine-pumping is reveling.

Let me try it. Georgia was a much better team than I expected them to be. They really got it together at the right time. To be honest, the Lady Vols played better against them than I figured they would. Can't win 'em all. Georgia had a 3-5 SEC record so they were overdue a win."

Nope. Can't wax the stink off that pile of crap. 

You're right about one thing, though. It has been a very long season, made longer still by an inept coach.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 06:00:17 EST »

Lol. Reveling? Sure, if you want to call it that. According to you, anything but sunshine-pumping is reveling.

Let me try it. Georgia was a much better team than I expected them to be. They really got it together at the right time. To be honest, the Lady Vols played better against them than I figured they would. Can't win 'em all. Georgia had a 3-5 SEC record so they were overdue a win."

You're right about one thing, though. It has been a very long season, made longer still by an inept coach.

What's amazing is the die-hard live and die by the LVs fans who use to demand final fours and competing for championships are now reserved to.....Well, we played well......Well, we lost to a pathetic team but we played hard.....Well, Holly is a VFL so lets give her 10 more years to further destroy the program...Well, next year we'll have 10 MAC D All-American instead of 8 so things will get better even though the coaching won't be any better but Holly is a VFL.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 04:34:05 EST »

Sunshine pumper? Hardly.  I actually don't GAS about the LVs that much, sorry to say.

I just think you and the other critics are showing the same irrationality...scratch that....bat shizzle craziness...that has infected sports. 

You have to win it all every single year or GTFO.  I could say a lot more about that, but let's focus on Holly.

Has she been that much worse than Pat in Pat's last few years?  No, it's really close.  Would a replacement do better or worse?  IMO, the odds are about 8 or 9 to 1 that a replacement would do worse. 

It would be different if Holly was routinely getting knocked out in the first round of the NCAA, or somehow managing not to even get invited, but the fact is, we are still a top program if not one of THE top programs, but the gap to be one of THE programs is still not that great. 

So yeah, I'll wait until there is a significant difference between her performance and where Pat honestly left the program. We are not there yet,so quit gettin' your panties in a bunch!   

Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 05:26:54 EST »

Sunshine pumper? Hardly.  I actually don't GAS about the LVs that much, sorry to say.

I just think you and the other critics are showing the same irrationality...scratch that....bat shizzle craziness...that has infected sports. 

You have to win it all every single year or GTFO.  I could say a lot more about that, but let's focus on Holly.

Has she been that much worse than Pat in Pat's last few years?  No, it's really close.  Would a replacement do better or worse?  IMO, the odds are about 8 or 9 to 1 that a replacement would do worse. 

It would be different if Holly was routinely getting knocked out in the first round of the NCAA, or somehow managing not to even get invited, but the fact is, we are still a top program if not one of THE top programs, but the gap to be one of THE programs is still not that great. 

So yeah, I'll wait until there is a significant difference between her performance and where Pat honestly left the program. We are not there yet,so quit gettin' your panties in a bunch!   

I try to give you the benefit of the doubt but your argumentative posts constantly leave me scratching my head.

So what you're saying is that you're okay with the current status of the Lady Vols program because Holly is performing on the same level as Pat after Pat began to decline due to being afflicted with Alzheimer's.

Okay.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 07:16:12 EST »

I try to give you the benefit of the doubt but your argumentative posts constantly leave me scratching my head.

So what you're saying is that you're okay with the current status of the Lady Vols program because Holly is performing on the same level as Pat after Pat began to decline due to being afflicted with Alzheimer's.

Okay.

Hm. What is a fact is that after her championship in 2008, Pat then went 4 years without making the final four.

So you are now saying you are an authority on the dementia that Pat suffered from and can say with certainty that she declined exactly starting in 2009?

Regardless, it doesn't even matter to my point. How much the last four years was affected by her affliction, the fact is she left the program where it was the last four years, and it's easy to see that NO FURTHER DECLINE has occurred. 

So at least Holly has held at that level. So you and some other unrealistic types apparently expect her to climb back to Pats level after Pat herself left the program where it is.

Which us exactly the kind of unrealistic expectations that epitomize the current what have you done for me lately madness gripping all of sports. I'd use the word insane in fact. Mass insanity.

A REASONABLE person might expect it would take Holly a few years to grow into the job. In the meantime if there is backsliding get rid of her. But I don't see it. Not yet anyway.

Should we tolerate only getting to the elite 8 indefinitely? Of course not. But who else out there will fill Pats shoes better than Holly? Is that even possible?

I

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 06:14:30 EST »

What is this revisionist history you're trying to push here? Pat -- dementia and all (and, yes, it has been pretty well documented that her downturn started well before she publicly announced her diagnosis, or even before she was diagnosed) -- won the SEC two out of her final three years, and went 43-5 in the SEC during that three-year span. Even if you throw in the 2008-2009 season, which was clearly an anomaly, she was 52-10 in the SEC in her final four seasons. Holly is 56-18 in the SEC. If this were February 2015, maybe you could say with a straight face that she hasn't caused the program to decline. But this is February 2017, and this program is now a middle-of-the-pack SEC team. In the last two seasons, Holly is 14-12 in the SEC, and she's staring at a second consecutive .500 season in league play.

Let me reiterate that: she's lost more conference games in the past one and two-thirds seasons than Pat lost in her final four seasons combined (if you want to get really technical, she's lost more games in the past one and two-thirds seasons than Pat lost in her final six seasons combined, but we'll stick with the final four years). And that was after she had three years to "grow into the job." No further decline?

Whatever, dude.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:16:53 EST by Creek Walker » Logged
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 06:31:00 EST »

I'd say being out of the top 25 the past month....getting beat by unranked teams.....getting beat by .500 teams and doing this while having more Mac D All-Americans than UConn would qualify as a decline.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 02:48:04 EST »

What is this revisionist history you're trying to push here? Pat -- dementia and all (and, yes, it has been pretty well documented that her downturn started well before she publicly announced her diagnosis, or even before she was diagnosed) -- won the SEC two out of her final three years, and went 43-5 in the SEC during that three-year span. Even if you throw in the 2008-2009 season, which was clearly an anomaly, she was 52-10 in the SEC in her final four seasons. Holly is 56-18 in the SEC. If this were February 2015, maybe you could say with a straight face that she hasn't caused the program to decline. But this is February 2017, and this program is now a middle-of-the-pack SEC team. In the last two seasons, Holly is 14-12 in the SEC, and she's staring at a second consecutive .500 season in league play.

Let me reiterate that: she's lost more conference games in the past one and two-thirds seasons than Pat lost in her final four seasons combined (if you want to get really technical, she's lost more games in the past one and two-thirds seasons than Pat lost in her final six seasons combined, but we'll stick with the final four years). And that was after she had three years to "grow into the job." No further decline?

Whatever, dude.

You're just proving my point.  Holly has also won two SEC title.s.  In fact, overall Holly's record the last four years is slightly better than Pat's in her last four years.  I'll grant you that last season's SEC record was bad, but objectively, there isn't much difference.  But I get that sports fans are not objective, and writers like to stir the pot.   

I prefer to let it play itself out.  Last year, a lot of you "experts" on here confidently predicted a first round exit in the tourney, and instead we got within a made shot or two of the Final Four.  So forgive me if I don't take your word midway through this season that it's over.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 05:14:45 EST »

Butch and Holly are both in the same place with their jobs. They just keep winning enough to keep their jobs, but you doubt that they will ever do much better than they are doing now. Butch seems to have a ceiling of 8-9 wins and Holly struggles through the regular season and then wins a game or two in the tourney and everyone says.."maybe next year".  Let Holly get her incoming class in and see how she does with them. But how long do you give her is the million dollar question.  I still don't get why folks sugar-coat Jones performance. He is yet to even win an SEC east division title or beat a SEC West team. Yet their are always excuses to keep him around another year. Young team, injuries yet others have won with young teams and with injuries. Just look at the Buckeyes....as much as we hate to..lol. They had one of the youngest teams in the NCAA last year. Made the playoff. The year they won it had three QB's step up after injuries. It's all perspective.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 06:33:43 EST »

Butch and Holly are both in the same place with their jobs. They just keep winning enough to keep their jobs, but you doubt that they will ever do much better than they are doing now. Butch seems to have a ceiling of 8-9 wins and Holly struggles through the regular season and then wins a game or two in the tourney and everyone says.."maybe next year".  Let Holly get her incoming class in and see how she does with them. But how long do you give her is the million dollar question.  I still don't get why folks sugar-coat Jones performance. He is yet to even win an SEC east division title or beat a SEC West team. Yet their are always excuses to keep him around another year. Young team, injuries yet others have won with young teams and with injuries. Just look at the Buckeyes....as much as we hate to..lol. They had one of the youngest teams in the NCAA last year. Made the playoff. The year they won it had three QB's step up after injuries. It's all perspective.

No one is sugar coating Jones' performance.  This past November was very disappointing. I can't speak for everyone, but I have in the past defended, and will continue to defend, that he at least brought us back to relevance.  Fans like you apparently think we should have been 11-1 in his second year, and that's flat ignorant and such ridiculous expectations hurt the program.  He has righted the ship and had good recruiting, where it goes from here is on him.

I gave him more time than one might expect to bring the program back, because Dooley was truly that bad.

No one is sugar coating anything, but expecting 12-0 every single year and then whining like a 3-year old girl who wet her panties when we fall short doesn't help either.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: