VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 04:07:06 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: At All Costs  (Read 2787 times)
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:15:43 EST »

Watched this 2015 documentary on Netflix yesterday. It details the workings of AAU basketball. Highlights how apparel companies influence the world of AAU basketball and how high school basketball is not the proving ground for college hoops any more.

Got to thinking last night after reading some of the posts on Rupps Rafters calling for Cal to bench some of the freshmen. According to the documentary, some AAU coaches won't steer kids to college programs where they won't get significant PT. So, if true, if a college coach doesn't play the young prima donnas, the well could dry up.

To me, it looks like Cal's youngsters are really more concerned about themselves than they are UK basketball. I'm totally OK with that, but I just thought it strange that it possibly correlated with the documentary that I happened to watch yesterday morning.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:39:17 EST by JeffCountyVolFan » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:22:32 EST »

AAU basketball is a corrupt cesspool of money passing hands under the table. 

Unfortunately, the 7 on 7 "travel" teams in football is bcoming the football version of AAU basketball. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 12:35:30 EST »

I completely agree on AAU ball, Herb. That's why I watched the documentary in the first place. The piece didn't change my mind.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 12:53:31 EST »

I hate AAU basketball. I mean I absolutely hate it, even on a small scale, far away from the elite end that was examined in "At All Costs." I'm talking about on the lower end, where the players will never sniff a major Division I scholarship offer.

The sad thing is that, for players who love the game, AAU is a necessity...if they don't play, they get left behind, even as middle school players who aren't even to the high school level.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:06:52 EST »

The sad thing is that, for players who love the game, AAU is a necessity...if they don't play, they get left behind, even as middle school players who aren't even to the high school level.

Yes it is. Many hs coaches are now involved, steering kids to certain teams and trying to influence the more prestigious AAU teams to take their players. I think Memphis East's situation and Penny is possibly am example (although I'm not sure about that).
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 03:12:43 EST »

Some of the diehard UK fans I know are starting to sour on Cal's one and done philosophy.
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 03:23:16 EST »

Some of the diehard UK fans I know are starting to sour on Cal's one and done philosophy.

Cal didn't help himself when he said the other day that they were trying to put players in the league.  Most UK fans probably don't think that should be the goal of the basketball program.

That comment would rank right up there with some quotes from a certain college head football coach.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: