VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 01:07:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the Vols baseball team looking like this year? Competitive or a cellar  (Read 1894 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:56:13 EST »

dwellar. They always seem to have a few outstanding players on their roster. SEC is a tough road in baseball.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:52:48 EST »

Picked 6th (out of 7) in the division, no players on pre-season All SEC team.

I'll just put it this way - If Dave Hart weren't on his way out Serrano would have been fired last June.  But the decision was mad to give him a one year contract and let the new AD deal with the new baseball hire. 

I'd be surprised if Serrano lasts the season. 

The best thing that UT baseball has going now is that Todd Helton is back with the program in a "volunteer" position.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that while he can help with recruiting, he can't have anything to do with coaching current players. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:14 EST »

Picked 6th (out of 7) in the division, no players on pre-season All SEC team.

I'll just put it this way - If Dave Hart weren't on his way out Serrano would have been fired last June.  But the decision was mad to give him a one year contract and let the new AD deal with the new baseball hire. 

I'd be surprised if Serrano lasts the season. 

The best thing that UT baseball has going now is that Todd Helton is back with the program in a "volunteer" position.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that while he can help with recruiting, he can't have anything to do with coaching current players. 

I had such high hopes for Serrano. I remember when he was hired, there was a debate on this forum about his credentials. I can't remember who the ones were who were against the hire, but I thought they were wrong. Boy, were they ever proven right. He may be the worst coach on the UT payroll in the major sports...and that's saying something, given the current state of affairs.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:31:03 EST »

I had such high hopes for Serrano. I remember when he was hired, there was a debate on this forum about his credentials. I can't remember who the ones were who were against the hire, but I thought they were wrong. Boy, were they ever proven right. He may be the worst coach on the UT payroll in the major sports...and that's saying something, given the current state of affairs.

I'll admit right up front that I was leery given that his degree is from a diploma mill. 

Bottom line is that his small ball game just never did translate to success in SEC/ACC level baseball.  It was successful on the west coast, because that's what they play there.  But not here. 

And what was puzzling is that Serrano's reputation was of being a pitching guru, but his pitching during his entire tenure at UT has been dismal. 

And, yep, I have heard all of the excuses about how many players he lost to pro ball.  But so does everybody else in the SEC.  You've got to have a backup plan, which he never had in his tenure here. 

And the Vanderbilt excuse of their endowment schollies was always used in his defense.  That is all good and fine, but he was never even close to catching the other state universities that were finishing ahead of him every year, much less Vanderbilt. 

Just not a good fit from day one. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: