VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 01:11:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Azzanni leaving?  (Read 6082 times)
volpride
Walk-On

Give.Him.Six

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2017, 03:39:06 EST »

Thoughts?

"The hardest moments are a call to something greater"
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:42:12 EST »

Good.
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:17:36 EST »

Buh. Bye.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 04:37:08 EST »

I thought it pretty much a given, considering that Jones passed over him for the OC position, he clearly coveted

Creek, I think the goodness is predicated on who is hired to replace him.  On balance I agree that his departure is a good thing but it is late in the game from a staff vacancy view.  Maybe in the short term bring back a former VOL WR coach?

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 04:55:57 EST »

Excited to see who Butch replaces him with.  I'm sure it's not a shock so hopefully Butch has someone in mind.  Been pretty pleased with the hires this offseason.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 05:02:45 EST »

Azz has been trying to leave every year he's been at UT...He applied for just about every opening in college football. Well, bye.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 10:11:57 EST »

What bothers me is that on ESPN Sports Update on the radio today they said Azzanni was the 5th coach to bolt from Butch Jones program this off-season. I was under the impression that he was unloading them. So which is it? Has ESPN ever been nice to Vols football?

volsboyinsodak
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 11:42:51 EST »

Who?
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:20:06 EST »

What bothers me is that on ESPN Sports Update on the radio today they said Azzanni was the 5th coach to bolt from Butch Jones program this off-season. I was under the impression that he was unloading them. So which is it? Has ESPN ever been nice to Vols football?

Name them?

Fact...Debord was gone after this year. He wanted to get closer to home...it was known months ago. Mahoney wasn't going to be retained.....Martz wasn't going to be retained. Azz has applied every year for other jobs since he's been at UT......he should have been canned 2 years ago. Unless out linebackers improve....Thigpen needs to GIT too.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 02:41:54 EST »

The best available candidate is clearly Dameyune Craig, who wasn't retained by Yaw-Yaw at LSU.  But I'm sure Butch will hire someone he's worked with before that we've never heard of.  That's his MO on the offensive side of the ball.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 02:54:55 EST »

The best available candidate is clearly Dameyune Craig, who wasn't retained by Yaw-Yaw at LSU.  But I'm sure Butch will hire someone he's worked with before that we've never heard of.  That's his MO on the offensive side of the ball.
I'm not enamored with his coaching ability
Recruiting, yeah but got to coach 'em up

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:16 EST »

I'm not enamored with his coaching ability
Recruiting, yeah but got to coach 'em up
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 03:46:14 EST »

Going to be tough for Butch to lure a "qualiy" WR coach to town right now, given his "hot seat" status.  Not too many coaches are going to be willing to give up what is currently a solid gig to take a chance with Butch.  

And before anybody brings up Hoke - he could afford to take that risk, given his huge buyout from Michigan.  Not many coaches are in that position.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 04:49:53 EST »

Going to be tough for Butch to lure a "qualiy" WR coach to town right now, given his "hot seat" status.  Not too many coaches are going to be willing to give up what is currently a solid gig to take a chance with Butch.  

And before anybody brings up Hoke - he could afford to take that risk, given his huge buyout from Michigan.  Not many coaches are in that position.  

Probably had a buyout from Oregon as well.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 06:27:21 EST »

I hope they give Chris Beatty of Maryland a look. He recruits VA/MD/NC/DC for them and is a ETSU grad as well. Kevin Beard seems to be getting discussed by the masses as well.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2017, 04:29:07 EST »

what puzzles me is that some are not enamored with D. Craig's coaching ability, but he's a good recruiter,  yet they give Jones a pass for the same thing. Who has really been "coached up" since Jones got here?  To me getting "coached up" is what Kiffin did, as much as we despise him, with Jonathon Crompton his senior year. He ended up being a decent QB for the Vols. If Dobbs had been "coached up" on the passing side of his game, he would have been scary good. These hires are extremely important for the Vols on a straight x's and o's standpoint. Jones needs some help from his assistants in this department. Good assistants can make an average coach look really good.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2017, 06:11:17 EST »

what puzzles me is that some are not enamored with D. Craig's coaching ability, but he's a good recruiter,  yet they give Jones a pass for the same thing. Who has really been "coached up" since Jones got here?  To me getting "coached up" is what Kiffin did, as much as we despise him, with Jonathon Crompton his senior year. He ended up being a decent QB for the Vols. If Dobbs had been "coached up" on the passing side of his game, he would have been scary good. These hires are extremely important for the Vols on a straight x's and o's standpoint. Jones needs some help from his assistants in this department. Good assistants can make an average coach look really good.

And that's exactly why we need somebody who can coach up talent this time.  We've had more stars than are in the sky at the WR position during Azanni's tenure, but we just haven't see much production from that unit.  He got less from more than any position coach on the staff during Butch's tenure.  Got to have somebody who can get production out of those guys. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 07:31:13 EST »

CLUELESS is STILL your middle name
Azz could recruit but not coach worth a damn - what did that get us?  Jones, whether you wish to admit it through your hatred of him or not, has upgraded the recruiting, as well as coaching significantly with his hires.  We have recruiters, we need someone who has a freaking CLUE how to coach WRs.

If you are going to use an analogy, please use one that is applicable next time. (sorry to use big words on you)

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 08:35:22 EST »

Time will tell but IMO Butch has upgraded his staff coaching wise. Never was a Azz. fan from day 1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: