VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 11:01:16 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Currie hired as the UT AD  (Read 8055 times)
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2017, 05:49:29 EST »

Damn.  Just damn.  Not sure UT could have made a worse choice. 

https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/836615681655377920

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:54:13 EST »

UT is a master at Google hires. Got to Google to find out about who the hell we just hired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Currie_(athletic_director)
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:59:50 EST »

Over it. 100%. Screw the UT BOT and administration. They'll never see another dime of my money. Any tickets I purchase, if I do, will be through scalpers.

I'll guarantee you the logic behind this hire was that they didn't want to piss off half the fan base by hiring either Blackburn or Fulmer, so they hired neither. That would be typical UT logic. Fulmer shouldn't have been hired, but I believe Currie is an even worse hire than Fulmer would've been. Hell, go look at what the K-State fans are saying about the hire. They're excited.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:19:38 EST »

Over it. 100%. Screw the UT BOT and administration. They'll never see another dime of my money. Any tickets I purchase, if I do, will be through scalpers.

I'll guarantee you the logic behind this hire was that they didn't want to piss off half the fan base by hiring either Blackburn or Fulmer, so they hired neither. That would be typical UT logic. Fulmer shouldn't have been hired, but I believe Currie is an even worse hire than Fulmer would've been. Hell, go look at what the K-State fans are saying about the hire. They're excited.

Buddy of mine who worked under him in the UTAD told me a few minutes ago that UT couldn't have made a worse hire for this job.

Currie led the committees that recommended the hires of both Todd Raleigh and Lane Kiffin.  

And he worked under Mike Hamilton.  

Buddy also says that Currie can't get along with anybody. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:26:23 EST »

Been told Frank Martin left K-State because he couldn't get along with Currie?
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:38:20 EST »

Been told Frank Martin left K-State because he couldn't get along with Currie?

Yep.  You can Google it and find some interesting stuff there. 

Basilio says that his K-State contact says that K-State fans on social media are elated that Currie is leaving. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 06:44:45 EST »

Basilio says that his K-State contact says that K-State fans on social media are elated that Currie is leaving. 

It's true. Granted, they're mostly still angry over the Frank Martin debacle, but that's probably reason enough. I mean, besides fundraising, what is one thing Currie did good at K-State? If we want someone who can fundraise and botch coaching decisions, let's just go rehire Hamilton instead of one of his proteges.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 06:54:46 EST »

Based on what I've read folks in Kansas haven't been this excited since Dorothy returned from OZ. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 06:59:33 EST »

Are we sure this is legit?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:12:07 EST »

Are we sure this is legit?

Yes. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 08:50:44 EST »

I am probably in the minority on this subject, but I want to see what he can do at UT before the gallows are utilized. In my simple mind, any progress made in Manhattan, KS is an achievement.
Creek Walker
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:42 EST »

I am probably in the minority on this subject, but I want to see what he can do at UT before the gallows are utilized. In my simple mind, any progress made in Manhattan, KS is an achievement.

What progress was made, though? His financial record is impeccable. That's great, but we all know his tenure at Tennessee will be defined by much more than financials. As I've already said, if we wanted a great fundraiser and that was valued above all else, we should've just stuck with Mike Hamilton. That was his expertise.

Despite the financial success that K-State Athletics has had, Currie leaves Kansas with his tenure there defined by his handling of the Frank Martin situation.

OTOH, we had a candidate with an impeccable record when it comes to coaching hires. Blackburn may not have experience at a P5 institution, but his success at UTC is unprecedented. If you make smart coaching hires in football and men's basketball, the financial part of it will take care of itself.
Cobbvol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:46 EST »

What progress was made, though? His financial record is impeccable. That's great, but we all know his tenure at Tennessee will be defined by much more than financials. As I've already said, if we wanted a great fundraiser and that was valued above all else, we should've just stuck with Mike Hamilton. That was his expertise.

Despite the financial success that K-State Athletics has had, Currie leaves Kansas with his tenure there defined by his handling of the Frank Martin situation.

OTOH, we had a candidate with an impeccable record when it comes to coaching hires. Blackburn may not have experience at a P5 institution, but his success at UTC is unprecedented. If you make smart coaching hires in football and men's basketball, the financial part of it will take care of itself.

This article from a couple of years ago talks about some of his progress while in Manhattan.

http://www.si.com/2015/05/01/ap-kansas-st-currie

Raising money and coaching hires are indeed important. I am of the opinion that today coaches are hired by a team/committee/firm and no one person makes the choice. Time will tell.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 12:09:09 EST »

Shizzle, even Fulmer looks good as AD now. Let's see what the future holds.

volsboyinsodak
Hollerboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 12:19:37 EST »

Im sure he will be fine.  People hated Dickey too... No big deal.  Too many other things to worry about in this world than what talking head will run the athletic dept.  He just needs to raise money and hire a good search firm when looking for coaches. It aint rocket-surgery.  It would be nice to know why Blackburn didnt get it.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 12:22:46 EST »

You're not alone.  Sure, Blackburn was my top choice but I'm not about to jump off the Henley St bridge as Vol Twirtter was collectively doing this afternoon.  Geez, people.  
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:27:17 EST by VinnieVOL » Logged
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 12:34:03 EST »

On the bright side, we should know very soon what we've got.  Currie is probably going to have to make 3-4 major coaching hires within the next couple years.  So either he'll prove to be a home run, or he'll fail miserably and be out on his keister along with Davenport.  We'll see.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 12:58:35 EST »

Never making a successful football or hoops hire leaves a rather large hole on his resume. Oh well, I'm pulling for the guy.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 09:39:11 EST »

Agree.  So many "experts" disagree, that are wrong more than they are right.

One example I recall that I still laugh at, is "so what if Kiffin ran off Tahj Boyd?  Boyd will never succeed as a college QB anyway".

And why?  Because "the expert" says so!  I prefer to wait and form my own dam opinion.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 04:50:03 EST »

So refreshing and encouraging.....NOT   

http://sportsradioknoxville.com/audio-kansas-state-beat-writer-blasts-vols-ad-john-currie/

Creek Walker
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 05:30:03 EST »

My thoughts haven't changed. It was a terrible hire. I hope he does well, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm still disgusted with the hiring decisions that this university continues to make.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 05:31:33 EST »

Frank Martin quit and went to SC on his own. When you have about half the basketball team ready to quit and not one assistant coming forward to support you, then you can assume Martin quit because he had worn out his welcome. The head coach he hired to replace Martin may not be a huge success, but Martin was running off the kids he recruited.

Currie hired Snider back so you cannot say he failed there either. Snider is a saint in KSU fans eyes. As far as the differences between Snider and Currie, it likely boils down to Currie had more power with KSU President than Snider and he pitched a hissy fit because he did not get his way.

As far as mending fences in UT AD office, Currie is now the boss. Like it or not, the employees will have to work with him or they will be fired. This is the same as it has always been. Currie only has to satisfy Davenport and the big money donors to keep his job. It does not matter a whit if anyone on this board or any message board or in the press like him or not. His legacy will depend on how he deals with coaches and their replacements.

Most people are just mad because their guy did not get hired. Neither Blackburn nor Fulmer met the criteria Davenport stated she was looking for because neither had AD experience at a Power 5 conference. If he comes in and gets rid of Hart's hires, I will be happy.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2017, 05:37:12 EST »

Frank Martin quit and went to SC on his own. When you have about half the basketball team ready to quit and not one assistant coming forward to support you, then you can assume Martin quit because he had worn out his welcome. The head coach he hired to replace Martin may not be a huge success, but Martin was running off the kids he recruited.

Currie hired Snider back so you cannot say he failed there either. Snider is a saint in KSU fans eyes. As far as the differences between Snider and Currie, it likely boils down to Currie had more power with KSU President than Snider and he pitched a hissy fit because he did not get his way.

As far as mending fences in UT AD office, Currie is now the boss. Like it or not, the employees will have to work with him or they will be fired. This is the same as it has always been. Currie only has to satisfy Davenport and the big money donors to keep his job. It does not matter a whit if anyone on this board or any message board or in the press like him or not. His legacy will depend on how he deals with coaches and their replacements.

Most people are just mad because their guy did not get hired. Neither Blackburn nor Fulmer met the criteria Davenport stated she was looking for because neither had AD experience at a Power 5 conference. If he comes in and gets rid of Hart's hires, I will be happy.

Hammer meets nail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: