VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 05:49:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Didn't see the game but  (Read 3526 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2017, 09:57:27 EST »

Very disappointing end, though it sounds like they fought hard.

So maybe we will get a Not Invited slot, or maybe not.  Too bad.  I was hoping for a deep run in the SECT.  At least it sounds like they fought to the end, so there is that.

Overall on the bball season, there is a glimmer of hope, well more than that actually, I will say promise for the future.  Hopefully recruiting will give Barnes the talent he needs to work with.  Maybe we can start next season strong and make the dance. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 11:07:08 EST »

IMO we will not get a NIT invite.

We have a team full of non shooters that shot around 25 3's today....Never seen a team that has no shooters like we do. Our seniors decided not to show up today....Hubbs was 3 for 13 for 6 points....and the team decided not to rebound. They did play good team defense. Recruiting is pretty much done for the next class which is pretty much more of the same for Barnes recruiting. We can only hope that Barnes cans 2-3 players that's on the team now and replaces them with better players...but I doubt it.

Unless things change.....with no shooters and below average PG's I don't see a lot of improvement next year unless something changes. Barnes needs to get it done next year because paying 2.6 million for .500 basketball is not real smart.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 11:35:36 EST by Tnphil » Logged
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:13:35 EST »

IMO we will not get a NIT invite.

We have a team full of non shooters that shot around 25 3's today....Never seen a team that has no shooters like we do. Our seniors decided not to show up today....Hubbs was 3 for 13 for 6 points....and the team decided not to rebound. They did play good team defense. Recruiting is pretty much done for the next class which is pretty much more of the same for Barnes recruiting. We can only hope that Barnes cans 2-3 players that's on the team now and replaces them with better players...but I doubt it.

Unless things change.....with no shooters and below average PG's I don't see a lot of improvement next year unless something changes. Barnes needs to get it done next year because paying 2.6 million for .500 basketball is not real smart.

Rick Barnes went to the locker room with two timeouts in his hip pocket after that disastrous final possession.  I understand the philosophy of not using a timeout and letting the offense push the ball up the floor. But we took possession with ~20 seconds left. Wound up with a Schofield 3-point shot with 2 seconds left. At some point you have to realize the possession is headed south and use a TO...don't you??? Those last several possessions were just indicative of the entire second half of the season. No sense of urgency, no heart, too much second-guessing. I loved watching this team early in the season but the second half was a complete debacle. Missing out on the NCAAT wasn't a disappointment but now that the dust has settled we didn't beat expectations by much. Certainly not how I envisioned this season ending back in December. And recruiting isn't giving much hope for the immediate future.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:38:44 EST »

Yep CW...that will go down as one of the worst last possessions in UT basketball history.....I've seen worse but today ranks up there.

Hard to explain the last month of the season but this team lost it's mojo. Early on even in losses they played hard.....moved on offense....then all of a sudden it was like they hit a DGAS wall. Losing Fulkerson and Mozella hurt more than we thought and hurt depth....Hubbs was playing on a bum knee the last 3 weeks and Bone had been sick and missed some games. With the brutal OOC schedule IMO our young-uns wore out the last month.

And in the luck of UT....yesterday Phillips hurts his ankle on the last play of practice and shows up today in a walking boot!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:41:33 EST by Tnphil » Logged
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 03:08:29 EST »

Rick Barnes went to the locker room with two timeouts in his hip pocket after that disastrous final possession.  I understand the philosophy of not using a timeout and letting the offense push the ball up the floor. But we took possession with ~20 seconds left. Wound up with a Schofield 3-point shot with 2 seconds left. At some point you have to realize the possession is headed south and use a TO...don't you??? Those last several possessions were just indicative of the entire second half of the season. No sense of urgency, no heart, too much second-guessing. I loved watching this team early in the season but the second half was a complete debacle. Missing out on the NCAAT wasn't a disappointment but now that the dust has settled we didn't beat expectations by much. Certainly not how I envisioned this season ending back in December. And recruiting isn't giving much hope for the immediate future.

I was able to watch the last 3 min and that last possession - jeez, they were in a little bit of a panic mode...definitely needed a TO there.  The offense executed poorly in those final minutes it seems(or to say the least!), however, UGa played some pretty good D as well.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 04:14:24 EST »

I'm going to try and catch a replay if it's ever shown.  I'll say this, Pearl disappointed me at the end of his career by often not calling the TO at the end, so I'm a big believer in that.  I think it's almost always the right move.  Pearl used to routinely call TOs in the early part of his career at UT, but the last few years he stopped doing it, IDKW.   Sounds like Barnes made the same mistake,but unfortunately it's one I have seen UT do all too often in the last 7-8 years.

Oh well, maybe a PG will emerge and we will be better next season.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:12:38 EST »

I'm going to try and catch a replay if it's ever shown.  I'll say this, Pearl disappointed me at the end of his career by often not calling the TO at the end, so I'm a big believer in that.  I think it's almost always the right move.  Pearl used to routinely call TOs in the early part of his career at UT, but the last few years he stopped doing it, IDKW.   Sounds like Barnes made the same mistake,but unfortunately it's one I have seen UT do all too often in the last 7-8 years.

Oh well, maybe a PG will emerge and we will be better next season.

Agree.....Pearl had some of the best OOB plays I've even seen but his last possession plays were lacking.

Our last possession yesterday with around 21 seconds left was like a Chinese fire drill....It was like no one wanted the ball. We waited too long to take the shot....got a good look on the 3pt attempt and missed. Sometimes players have to make plays in that situation and we didn't get it done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: