VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 01:40:29 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7.5  (Read 5523 times)
Creek Walker
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:01:30 EDT »

That's the 2017 win total as set by Vegas bookie CG Technologies.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/19413753/college-football-full-list-unders-cg-technology

And that's probably fair. I've seen predictions of 10 wins this season, but I don't know where those are gonna come from. To get to 10, we have to in two of Georgia, Florida, Alabama and LSU. It's probably more likely that we lose one on the other end of the spectrum, to either Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky or Missouri...in order of perceived difficulty.

If we lose one of those, go 0-for against the marquee opponents, and wind up with 7 wins, is anyone going to be happy? Will it be enough to earn Jones another year? I have to think a 7-win season loses the fan base and leaves him in serious jeopardy of his job. Our new AD was not my choice by any stretch of the imagination but thus far it appears he isn't willing to settle for being second-tier in anything.

The only way I'm satisfied this season is if we win the 8 games we should be favored in and beat at least one of those four marquee teams.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 12:48:12 EDT »

Interesting. If the new hires are good, and the defense improves, we easily get >=8.  Will it happen?  I have no idea.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 02:49:25 EDT »

One point that was made this morning: Everyone keeps talking about this being a rebuilding year because of the star-power lost from last season, but UT returns 16 starters. Georgia is the only team in the East more experienced this season...so can rebuilding or inexperience really be used as excuses?

No. 19 in Athlon's preseason poll, btw.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 03:01:19 EDT »

One point that was made this morning: Everyone keeps talking about this being a rebuilding year because of the star-power lost from last season, but UT returns 16 starters. Georgia is the only team in the East more experienced this season...so can rebuilding or inexperience really be used as excuses?

No. 19 in Athlon's preseason poll, btw.

While it's true that the team we put on the field for the opening game will be less talented than the team we put on the field for last year's opener, it will be VASTLY more talented than the team we put on the field from about the 3rd game onwards.  If I thought we could stay mostly injury-free, I'd bet the over on that 7.5 and I'd get rich.

But I don't think we can.   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 04:27:55 EDT »

Below 7, it will be hard for Jones to keep his job.  I think 7 is enough.  Doesn't mean I will be satisfied with it, but that's how it feels to me.

I do think 8 or 9 is possible.  The thing about 9 is, he hasn't done that yet in the regular season.  So if he can lose Dobbs, who was the heart and soul of the offense last year, Kamara, and arguably the two best defensive players in Sutton and Barnett, and win more regular season games than he ever has, then I will be very impressed indeed.

Expecting 7, hoping for 8 is where I am.

one thing about the "16 starters"...how many of those "starters" were rushed into service because everyone else was in the ER?  I guess that is one silver lining of all the injuries last year....we have a lot of guys with game experience that would not otherwise have it, I guess.

But I'm with BDV...if we are injury free this year, it might be a really nice year.  Let me add that in addition to the D improving, particularly over their last few games from last year, the new QB has to click. 

Questions on D and a new QB...sorry but only a wild eyed optimist would expect 9 wins as a floor...or someone who is butt hurt that Jones hurt his (or her) feelings in a presser.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 05:15:00 EDT »

Questions on D and a new QB...sorry but only a wild eyed optimist would expect 9 wins as a floor...or someone who is butt hurt that Jones hurt his (or her) feelings in a presser.   

On the occasions when you make what appears to be a reasonable post, you have to figure out some way to prove what a douchebag you are. Congratulations...I know it takes a lot of work on your part to pull that off. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 07:07:37 EDT »

On the occasions when you make what appears to be a reasonable post, you have to figure out some way to prove what a douchebag you are. Congratulations...I know it takes a lot of work on your part to pull that off. 

I guess I'm just tired of all the incessant whining about comments he makes in pressers. Get over it already.  Put on your big boy pants, you know?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:01:00 EDT »

I guess I'm just tired of all the incessant whining about comments he makes in pressers. Get over it already.  Put on your big boy pants, you know?   

Remind me again who brought up Butch Jones' press conferences?

Thank you.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:49:48 EDT »

Remind me again who brought up Butch Jones' press conferences?

Thank you.

You and one other on here that work in the media business have brought it up incessantly in posts below.  Almost too many to count.  I am sure I can provide at least a dozen examples if pressed.

What is admittedly an assumption on my part, although I think a very logical one, is that your dislike of Butch is  personal, because you feel he insulted you personally in his pressers by ...gasp...wait for it...implying that he knows more about football than members of the media. 

This in turn would explain your constant posted expectations that go beyond what most reasonable fans expect.  It kind of looks like you just dislike him and are trying to set expectations that you know won't be reached.

That's how it looks to me, anyway.   

Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:05:52 EDT »

That's how it looks to me, anyway.   

I know this is shocking, but you're wrong. I've never attended a Butch Jones press conference.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 11:24:11 EDT »

Dobbs toughness and escapability bought us maybe two wins a season behind that porous OL. He wasn't a great QB, but I don't know if anyone could have played the position better given his situation.

If the OL can block, the offense could be substantially better, due to improved QB play. If they can't, everyone should hunt or golf more.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 04:45:32 EDT »

I know this is shocking, but you're wrong. I've never attended a Butch Jones press conference.

Yes, but you read about them and/or see watch the videos, and you often complain about the things he says.  Who cares what he says, as long as he wins.

I think I have seen references to the "best coaching staff in America" at least a dozen times last season, and he said that four years ago.  It just gets old.

I'd rather focus on what our actual prospects on the field are, than get butt hurt about some stupid thing Jones said.  And yes, he has said a few idiotic things, but we are at least respectable now.  Maybe we can move beyond "respectable" to good.  We will see.

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 11:50:49 EDT »

Yes, but you read about them and/or see watch the videos, and you often complain about the things he says.  Who cares what he says, as long as he wins.

I think I have seen references to the "best coaching staff in America" at least a dozen times last season, and he said that four years ago.  It just gets old.

I'd rather focus on what our actual prospects on the field are, than get butt hurt about some stupid thing Jones said.  And yes, he has said a few idiotic things, but we are at least respectable now.  Maybe we can move beyond "respectable" to good.  We will see.

Dude, I have news for you. The entire college football world was laughing at Butch's inane press conference comments. And that includes many UT fans. If you get upset every time someone says something negative, you're going to spend a great deal of your life bitter. Maybe I should rephrase...be bitter about it, if you choose. But at least stop obsessing about it on threads that have nothing to do with it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 04:25:01 EDT »

Dude, I have news for you. The entire college football world was laughing at Butch's inane press conference comments. And that includes many UT fans. If you get upset every time someone says something negative, you're going to spend a great deal of your life bitter. Maybe I should rephrase...be bitter about it, if you choose. But at least stop obsessing about it on threads that have nothing to do with it.

I laughed at his comments myself.  I'm not talking about the "champions for life" comment.  I'm talking about constantly dredging up the fact that he, in a moment of hyperbole, referred to his staff as the "greatest in America" during his first few weeks on the job.  This is CONSTANTLY brought up on this board.  Its been FOUR YEARS, and it was a meaningless comment to begin with.

If I was constantly referring back to something that old, THEN I might be bitter.  I think the people that keep dredging that up are the ones who are bitter, actually. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 05:06:53 EDT »

I laughed at his comments myself.  I'm not talking about the "champions for life" comment.  I'm talking about constantly dredging up the fact that he, in a moment of hyperbole, referred to his staff as the "greatest in America" during his first few weeks on the job.  This is CONSTANTLY brought up on this board.  Its been FOUR YEARS, and it was a meaningless comment to begin with.

If I was constantly referring back to something that old, THEN I might be bitter.  I think the people that keep dredging that up are the ones who are bitter, actually. 

The thing with the Best Staff In America comment was anybody with a pulse and anybody with .001 of football knowledge knew that MAC coaches were going to have a hard time in the SEC...and they did, big time. Butch finally figured that out and has upgraded his staff and by information I have gotten CBJ has let these new coaches so far do their job and he has stepped back some which he needed to do.....Also been told he's not using that damn microphone near as much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: