VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 04:06:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Hollywood: Stop it. Just stop. Sincerely, The World.  (Read 3006 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2017, 03:57:20 EDT »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4217386/Scarface-remake-hit-theaters-2018.html

VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 02:11:56 EDT »

AMEN. If they're so talented and creative then I want to see something original that warrants movie prices, else I'll continue to watch Fargo and the other creative shows being offered.         
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 11:04:12 EDT »

To be honest, DePalma's Scarface, speaking strictly in a cinematic sense, wasn't the greatest movie anyway.  The acting, music, and cinematography was WAY over-the-top.  And I'm a huge Coen Brothers fan.  Pretty much anything they touch is going to be good (Hail Caesar aside), so I'm sure they'd do a good job with it.  But still, there are some movies you just don't touch, and Scarface is one of them.  In fact, you could make a legitimate argument that it's the most influential movie since Star Wars.  For the past 35 years or so, pretty much any movie, book, TV show, or videogame that has anything to do with Miami, organized crime, and/or the drug trade owes something to Scarface.  From Miami Vice, to Dexter, to Breaking Bad, to Grand Theft Auto.  Not to mention the countless references in music lyrics.  You just don't mess with something like that.

Between the countless remakes (was anyone really clamoring for a new C.H.I.P.s or Baywatch?) and the 25 or so superhero reboots that come out every year, there's a real creative void in Hollywood right now.  Seems like there's a real opportunity for some creative type to, you know, actually be creative.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:19:41 EDT »

To be honest, DePalma's Scarface, speaking strictly in a cinematic sense, wasn't the greatest movie anyway.  The acting, music, and cinematography was WAY over-the-top.  And I'm a huge Coen Brothers fan.  Pretty much anything they touch is going to be good (Hail Caesar aside), so I'm sure they'd do a good job with it.  But still, there are some movies you just don't touch, and Scarface is one of them.  In fact, you could make a legitimate argument that it's the most influential movie since Star Wars.  For the past 35 years or so, pretty much any movie, book, TV show, or videogame that has anything to do with Miami, organized crime, and/or the drug trade owes something to Scarface.  From Miami Vice, to Dexter, to Breaking Bad, to Grand Theft Auto.  Not to mention the countless references in music lyrics.  You just don't mess with something like that.

Between the countless remakes (was anyone really clamoring for a new C.H.I.P.s or Baywatch?) and the 25 or so superhero reboots that come out every year, there's a real creative void in Hollywood right now.  Seems like there's a real opportunity for some creative type to, you know, actually be creative.

I didn't know until fairly recently that the DePalma Scarface was a remake, and the original was a huge hit and the time and also set trends.  I think the DePalma Scarface might be the most successful remake since Ben Hur.

As to your criticisms above, I can see the acting being spotty in a couple places, and honestly for me, the majority of the movie wears on me if I try to rewatch it too much.  But sitting through it the  first time and also watching it a few years ago for the first time since the late 80s, it's nothing short of epoch.  It was if nothing else very self-contained and consistent in it's message. and while i am not a huge Pacino fan in his later years, I think it might be his best performance, the peak of his career.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 05:51:42 EDT »

I don't really care that they're remaking Scarface - don't really consider it a sacred cow or anything.  However, a movie about a drug kingpin in LA?  How many times has that been done?  I guess I might be interested in the Coen Bros take on that - have they ever dealt with Latino culture in their movies?  I don't think so.  I guess No Country for Old Men touched on it a little bit, but they didn't write that one, and did very little adapting.  This one will be a pretty major re-write.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: