VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 04:58:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OL Improvement  (Read 4637 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:10:16 EDT »

It seems we've struggled mightily with OL assignments and execution since Pittman left. Thanks to Dobbs' escapabilty and hard-nosed running, we've looked o.k., but have lacked the ability to line up and pound even weak front sevens. Pass protection has been frequently worse. What's reasonable to expect of Wells given seemingly decent talent?

I'm not sold on the tackle situation, but the interior has potential.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:52:09 EDT »

With the experience that's returning on the OL this year, we should know pretty quickly whether Wells is going to be able to earn his keep. I wish we still had Hurd and Kamara. Between those two + John Kelly, this could've potentially been our best rushing attack in years if Wells is any sort of upgrade, which he almost has to be.

I still say that the single biggest mistake Butch Jones has made was firing Sam Pittman.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 11:03:45 EDT »

Agreed on Pittman. Fulmer, Mike Barry, and Pittman are the best OL coaches we've had in my memory. All were tremendous. If Wells is a top 35 OL coach, I think we'll see improvement. He doesn't have to be great.

On a different note, I hauled some folks from work (Charlotte area) up to Honey Creek a couple of Saturdays ago, and they loved it. That place is really special.

Now back to football.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:16:48 EDT »

We are in the midst of a 20-week-long hiking challenge that challenges participants to hike a new trail each week. The idea is to introduce noobs to hiking, which promotes not only physical fitness but also sells them on the tourism potential of our region. We start with easy trails and work our way up to difficult trails.

Anyway, we introduced a lot of locals to Honey Creek for the first time. It blows my mind that people have lived here all their life and have never experienced it. It's a completely different world when you drop down into that canyon. I love it.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 01:57:00 EDT »

It seems we've struggled mightily with OL assignments and execution since Pittman left. Thanks to Dobbs' escapabilty and hard-nosed running, we've looked o.k., but have lacked the ability to line up and pound even weak front sevens. Pass protection has been frequently worse. What's reasonable to expect of Wells given seemingly decent talent?

I'm not sold on the tackle situation, but the interior has potential.

Yep   

http://volstothewall.com/board/index.php?topic=35956.0

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 04:09:18 EDT »

Here's what bothers me.  

We are supposed to have this good "experienced" line coming back that is going to allow the young QBs and RBs the opportunity to be successful.

But all of the OL talk this spring was about an early enrollee who was supposed to be getting ready for his senior prom and graduation instead of being the best offensive lineman in spring practice.  

One of two things:  

1.  Trey is really that good

or

2.  The rest of the line isn't.  

We can only hope it is more 1 than 2.  

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 04:34:04 EDT »

Trey is really that good.....not your average Freshman. Most likely he will be playing guard this season but his future is at tackle and I won't be surprised to see him at tackle before the season is over. Unless Trey has a serious injury...in 3 years he'll be making serious coins in the NFL.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 09:17:12 EDT »

1) My bad Bandit. Your writeup was quite good. Dunno how I missed it.

2) The Trey Smith situation is both encouraging and puzzling, as Herb noted. I'm hoping Tnphil is correct.

3) That program sounds really cool Creek.

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 03:46:51 EDT »

We are in the midst of a 20-week-long hiking challenge that challenges participants to hike a new trail each week. The idea is to introduce noobs to hiking, which promotes not only physical fitness but also sells them on the tourism potential of our region. We start with easy trails and work our way up to difficult trails.

Anyway, we introduced a lot of locals to Honey Creek for the first time. It blows my mind that people have lived here all their life and have never experienced it. It's a completely different world when you drop down into that canyon. I love it.

Been too long since I've done much hiking in TN, but here's a few that still bring a smile to me:

(Cumberlands)
  -Savage Gulf - li'l patch of virgin forest down in a canyon like Honey Creek.
  -Clear Creek - just walk down from Lily Bridge toward the Obed - swimmin holes to die for.
  -Frozen Head - Chimney Top trail and around the ridge to make it a loop.
(Smokies)
  -20 Mile Creek - esp in the fall - up to Parsons Bald, over to Gregory's and back down to make it a loop.
  -Ekaneetlee manway - off the Gregory Ridge Trail, can loop to Gregory's Bald or go down the other side to Eagle Creek.
  -Madron's Bald through Allbright Grove
  -Porter's Flat - continue on up the manway to Charlie's Bunion.

- Shining Rock - campfire rings of white quartz
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:49:15 EDT by RockyMtnVol » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 06:32:27 EDT »

Here's what bothers me.  

We are supposed to have this good "experienced" line coming back that is going to allow the young QBs and RBs the opportunity to be successful.

But all of the OL talk this spring was about an early enrollee who was supposed to be getting ready for his senior prom and graduation instead of being the best offensive lineman in spring practice.  

One of two things:  

1.  Trey is really that good

or

2.  The rest of the line isn't.  

We can only hope it is more 1 than 2.  

From what I have seen and heard (tip of the hat to TnPhil), his talent is the best for sure.  But until he lines up and does it in an SEC game, he's like every other "great talent hyped in spring/preseason practice".

As to your question, likely a bit of both, but experience IMO matters more at OL than just about any other position save QB, and maybe even there.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 06:30:52 EDT »

You've hiked some nasty/obscure stuff RockyMtn. How's Ekaneetlee? I think I heard there were a bunch of blow-downs on it years ago.

RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 03:42:01 EDT »

You've hiked some nasty/obscure stuff RockyMtn. How's Ekaneetlee? I think I heard there were a bunch of blow-downs on it years ago.

Ekaneetlee is a special place.  A little virgin forest through the cove, and lots of dripping, hanging gardens in the upper portion.  There are a few yellow Lady's Slippers at the gap, and if you continue down the Eagle Creek side, there's a profusion of them.  Very rare that far south - the pink Lady's Slippers are much more common. I haven't hiked it in years (do more in Colorado/Wyoming these days) so I can't speak to the blowdowns.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 02:08:08 EDT »

Thanks for the heads-up! Sounds like a place I need to check out this winter. The Eagle Creek is quite interesting, but I know nothing about that part of Cades Cove. I've only been to Gregory's Bald once.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:10:18 EDT by murfvol » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: