VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 08:08:52 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just saw this list. I didn't realize Knoxville was in this kind of shape.  (Read 5274 times)
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2017, 05:39:27 EDT »

What are they doing to fix these issues? I can guess one answer...raise taxes..lol. Over course it shouldn't be too surprising, it is happening all over the U.S. Just seems more so in the South.
ftp://http://247wallst.com/special-report/2017/06/16/50-worst-cities-to-live-in/

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 08:50:36 EDT »

What issues? I'm not sure Knoxville has any overwhelming issues that any other city its size doesn't have. The problems with articles and lists/rankings like that one is that there is absolutely no real analysis that go into them at all. They're click-bait stories, just like the junk that OnlyInYourState.com and dozens of other websites just like those publish. They take a few sets of arbitrary data, throw it together, steal some pictures from Flickr to put with it, and stick it on Facebook to see how many shares they can get. That's why the page is dominated by cheap Google ads and are formatted as slide shows so that you get to see the same ads over and over. For their informative value, they're junk.

Sometimes those click-bait articles are worse than misleading. Sometimes they're downright nefarious. Take this statement: "Police attribute many of the fatal shootings to gang violence."

Really? I mean, sure, Knoxville has a gang problem...just like any city of ~200k people. But when did KPD make any such attribution public? In 2015, there were 19 homicides in Knoxville, and investigators attributed 3 of them to gang activity.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:37:49 EDT »

That's a complete horseshizzle "list". 

Period.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:41:04 EDT »

Only thing missing is all of West TN.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 07:09:31 EDT »

I guess I'll stick up for Chattanooga.  It says our job growth was "stagnant" between 2013 and 2015.  Uh, why choose that arbitrary time period?  This town has pretty much been at full employment since 2011, when Wacker, Amazon, and VW (and all their suppliers) came to town.  Since that time, nearly anyone in Chattanooga who WANTS to work, has a job.  I suspect that if they looked at that job growth stat going back to 2010, we'd be near the top of the list.

Violent crime?  Yep.  No dodging that one.  A gang war has been raging here for about the past five years.  It's pretty much confined to about a 2 mile radius at the foot of Missionary Ridge.  That's not to excuse it, but the fact is that 95% of Chattanooga is safe.

It's easy to just google a couple stats and make a snap judgment.  But the fact is that I can produce 100+ articles and rankings contradicting this one.

Oh, and as for Atlanta, "one of the most segregated places in the country"?  ROFL!  Where the hell did they get that from- a high school textbook from 1955?  Since the Civil Rights era, Atlanta has been the most integrated major city in America.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 01:32:19 EDT »

I put this on the same level as preseason polls.   Just pulling names out of a hat.
10EC
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 01:33:39 EDT »

[quote author=Black Diamond Vol link=topic=35969.msg175516#msg175516 date=
Oh, and as for Atlanta, "one of the most segregated places in the country"?  ROFL!  Where the hell did they get that from- a high school textbook from 1955?  Since the Civil Rights era, Atlanta has been the most integrated major city in America.
[/quote]

Gotta disagree here.  Atlanta is hugely segregated.

Asians off Jimmy Carter
Blacks down town
Lilly Whites in East Cobb

Very little integration that I see...
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 03:35:58 EDT »

What are they doing to fix these issues? I can guess one answer...raise taxes..lol. Over course it shouldn't be too surprising, it is happening all over the U.S. Just seems more so in the South.
ftp://http://247wallst.com/special-report/2017/06/16/50-worst-cities-to-live-in/

While your uninformed opinion and lack of knowledge is evident in your statements about Butch, your absolute lack of knowledge about Knoxville and East Tennessee proves just how much of a joke you are! 

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:40:11 EDT »

While your uninformed opinion and lack of knowledge is evident in your statements about Butch, your absolute lack of knowledge about Knoxville and East Tennessee proves just how much of a joke you are! 
I didn't write the atricle. As for Jones, what knowledge do I lack? You think he's a good coach, I don't. Just opinion. When is he gonna win the SECE?

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 01:54:45 EDT »

Gotta disagree here.  Atlanta is hugely segregated.

Asians off Jimmy Carter
Blacks down town
Lilly Whites in East Cobb

Very little integration that I see...

Maybe so...but Atlanta has a rep for being integrated.  I don't think it's so much where people live as the general attitude.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 04:07:28 EDT »

I didn't write the atricle. As for Jones, what knowledge do I lack? You think he's a good coach, I don't. Just opinion. When is he gonna win the SECE?

If you are going to down Knoxville you should actually do some research rather than relying on Internet Bravo Sierra to make your point.  I recently read materials compiled by the Department of Housing that ranks the top 10 cities above 25,000 population for Real Estate growth and investment opportunity as well as the trend in salaries and housing cost rise.  Knoxville rated in the top 10 (Number 7) of all cities in that population with a growth rate of 4.4% in median price and a growth of 1.1% in income and a total unemployment in the low 4 percent range.  Nashville was rated Number one with 4.7% growth so if we are hurting....bring on the hurt.....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 04:50:11 EDT »

If you are going to down Knoxville you should actually do some research rather than relying on Internet Bravo Sierra to make your point.  I recently read materials compiled by the Department of Housing that ranks the top 10 cities above 25,000 population for Real Estate growth and investment opportunity as well as the trend in salaries and housing cost rise.  Knoxville rated in the top 10 (Number 7) of all cities in that population with a growth rate of 4.4% in median price and a growth of 1.1% in income and a total unemployment in the low 4 percent range.  Nashville was rated Number one with 4.7% growth so if we are hurting....bring on the hurt.....

Cool....glad it's not like the article implied.

volsboyinsodak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: