VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:50:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Vols beat is changing  (Read 3942 times)
Creek Walker
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:29:06 EDT »

Mike Strange is retiring from the News Sentinel. The reason why is disheartening.

http://www.knoxtntoday.com/big-mike-is-moving-on/

Gannett (which now owns all of Tennessee's big three dailies, plus a couple of smaller dailies in Middle Tennessee) has radically changed the landscape of printed news in Tennessee, and not for the better.

Mike's approach is ho-hum and some people find that boring, but he's one of the good guys in the world of sports writing.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:07:01 EDT »

Mike Strange is retiring from the News Sentinel. The reason why is disheartening.

http://www.knoxtntoday.com/big-mike-is-moving-on/

Gannett (which now owns all of Tennessee's big three dailies, plus a couple of smaller dailies in Middle Tennessee) has radically changed the landscape of printed news in Tennessee, and not for the better.

Mike's approach is ho-hum and some people find that boring, but he's one of the good guys in the world of sports writing.
That sucks - leaves us with the resident #badword# in sports at the KNS, who's writing pales in comparison to Mike's as well.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:09 EDT »

Since Gannett took over our local paper here it's gone right down the toilet. It's become more of USA Today. Sports section has gone down the tubes. We have a AA baseball team here that's a farm system for the AZ. Diamondbacks.....To get their scores day to day I have to go on the team website because the paper here in the same town as the AA team doesn't even put scores in the paper anymore. After 30 plus years I'm about to cancel.
Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:31:10 EDT »

Since Gannett took over our local paper here it's gone right down the toilet. It's become more of USA Today. Sports section has gone down the tubes. We have a AA baseball team here that's a farm system for the AZ. Diamondbacks.....To get their scores day to day I have to go on the team website because the paper here in the same town as the AA team doesn't even put scores in the paper anymore. After 30 plus years I'm about to cancel.

The way they've gutted their TN papers is sad. I read the big three every day, and they've not only become carbon copies of one another but their news coverage has become stale and generic. No wonder; the first thing Gannett did when they purchased KNS was lay off 25% of the editorial staff. Local news went out the window in favor of this statewide "USA Today Network" nonsense. And if Mike Strange is right, real sports coverage is about to become a thing of the past as well.

I get that the metro and national dailies are struggling to find their identity in the new digital world. I don't know the best way forward for those papers. If I did, I'd give up my role, purchase one of them, and turn it around. But I'm convinced that the path Gannett has chosen is not the best way forward.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:16:42 EDT »

This

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 06:28:07 EDT »

The News-Sentinel is nothing more than USA Today's "community" paper in Knoxville.  Gannett and like companies have ruined the newspaper business. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 03:29:46 EDT »

Exact same thing in Louisville.   Several of the former reporters are now in TV,  either on air or writing blogs.   By far,  the best sports coverage  locally is from blogs on the TV websites.

The way they've gutted their TN papers is sad. I read the big three every day, and they've not only become carbon copies of one another but their news coverage has become stale and generic. No wonder; the first thing Gannett did when they purchased KNS was lay off 25% of the editorial staff. Local news went out the window in favor of this statewide "USA Today Network" nonsense. And if Mike Strange is right, real sports coverage is about to become a thing of the past as well.

I get that the metro and national dailies are struggling to find their identity in the new digital world. I don't know the best way forward for those papers. If I did, I'd give up my role, purchase one of them, and turn it around. But I'm convinced that the path Gannett has chosen is not the best way forward.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:36:04 EDT »

Exact same thing in Louisville.   Several of the former reporters are now in TV,  either on air or writing blogs.   By far,  the best sports coverage  locally is from blogs on the TV websites.

Same here.....I go to our local TV station website and get better information than the paper gives. There is also a local radio station that does well on news and sports on their website.
Coupe De VOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:46:48 EDT »

It would seem now is the time for some entrepreneur to move in and create a mobile based local news service.  Personally, I hate the idea, but it seems the landscape is ripe for it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 04:53:26 EDT »

A rare point of agreement...I liked Strange.  Down to Earth and commonsense.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: