VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 03:40:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My ultimate bucket list sports vacation  (Read 2246 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2017, 03:25:43 EDT »

Every year around this time, I look at all that's going on across the pond.  If you do a month give or take in Western Europe from mid June to mid July, you could conceivably see all this:

French Open (tennis), May 22- June 11
24 Hours of le Mans, June 17-18
Wimbledon, June 25- July 15
Tour de France, July 1-23
Running of the Bulls, July 6-14
The Open Championship (golf), July 20-23

And I guess if you have the time and are into that sort of thing, you could even take in a Communist Kickball game or two.

Now don't get me wrong, our team games that are popular here will always be my first love, but I can see them anytime.  Take this trip, and you get to see a bunch of sports that you don't often get to see in person, at least at the highest level.

Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 03:38:03 EDT »

I can honestly say there isn't a single one of those events that I would choose to sit through...even if they were free. 

On the other hand, this is also the time of year I start thinking about my sports bucket list...and all of them are college football venues. Someday...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:03:08 EDT »

I can honestly say there isn't a single one of those events that I would choose to sit through...even if they were free. 

On the other hand, this is also the time of year I start thinking about my sports bucket list...and all of them are college football venues. Someday...

Well yeah, but I'm talking about a vacation.  You take my trip, and in between all the games you get to see Europe.  You know, as opposed to exotic ports of call like Tuscaloosa and Starkville.

Creek Walker
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 05:19:17 EDT »

For the record, neither Tuscaloosa or Starkville would be on my bucket list.   Probably the two most depressing cities in the South.

It's little wonder that Alabamans cling to football to the point of becoming rabid fools. It's all they've got. If I were forced to live in Tuscaloosa, I would probably jump off a bridge.

OTOH, some of the small towns in southern Alabama are absolutely charming. It's probably no coincidence that you find fewer Bamer fans in those locales. 
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 06:39:34 EDT »

I'll go for World Cup soccer.  The games themselves may be way too tedious, but I love seeing the national pride and celebration, particularly when a small country pulls an upset.  Just seems much more genuine than cheering for a billionaire-owned team that wheels and deals for multi-millionaire athletes.  I'll add the Olympics for the same reason.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 10:52:47 EDT »

After retirement, I want travel one season and see all the games the Vols play. It might not be a great thing for most, but I want to do it at least one time

11B4PJ3F7
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 11:16:34 EDT »

Keep all the tennis and golf to yourself, but I'd love to see the other three. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: