VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 08:19:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's a real shame that pro golf has become...  (Read 5672 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2017, 07:04:31 EDT »

...so boring and unwatchable in the post-Tiger era.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:27:12 EDT »

There's new kids on the block now.
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 04:11:29 EDT »

Boring and unwatchable? 

Completely disagree with that statement.  There are a ton of young and talented guys on tour right now.  Nothing has changed from my perspective. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 06:41:30 EDT »

Boring and unwatchable? 

Completely disagree with that statement.  There are a ton of young and talented guys on tour right now.  Nothing has changed from my perspective. 

Your sarcasm detector needs servicing.

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 09:24:52 EDT »

Your sarcasm detector needs servicing.

Herb's getting old. He might be catching up to me. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:27:09 EDT »

Herb's getting old. He might be catching up to me. 

Yeah, maybe, but we will never be as old as Pirate is.  He is just ancient.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 04:55:30 EDT »

After hitting maybe the worst drive I've ever seen by a professional golfer, Spieth did what is possibly the most spectacular thing that I have ever seen in golf.

Starting with the clear thinking to go with the unplayable and the accompanying drop, he simply was incredible.  In my opinion, it is the most impressive 6 hole stretch of golf that I have ever witnessed.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 04:49:09 EDT »

I love watching golf. But it just doesn't get the ratings. I was listening to a local sports talk show and they were talking about golfs low TV ratings. It did not have one event that was rated in the Top 50 for ratings. That is hard to believe. The top 10 were all NFL events. I think Clemson/Bama was like thirteen. Hard to believe the Masters, or the British Open wouldn't crack the top 50. Even NASCAR events (Daytona) outdraw golfs best events.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 07:07:16 EDT »

I love watching golf. But it just doesn't get the ratings. I was listening to a local sports talk show and they were talking about golfs low TV ratings. It did not have one event that was rated in the Top 50 for ratings. That is hard to believe. The top 10 were all NFL events. I think Clemson/Bama was like thirteen. Hard to believe the Masters, or the British Open wouldn't crack the top 50. Even NASCAR events (Daytona) outdraw golfs best events.

Golf isn't sold to advertisers based on sheer ratings numbers like most sports programming is.  Golf is sold based on numbers within a specified demographic, and it still does very well in that demo. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
Creek Walker
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:34 EDT »

Golf isn't sold to advertisers based on sheer ratings numbers like most sports programming is.  Golf is sold based on numbers within the old-geezers-who-snooze-on-their-couch-while-watching demographic, and it still does very well in that demo. 

FIFY
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 08:30:25 EDT »

FIFY

Old geezers spend a lot of monies on golf equipment, travel, Cadillacs, Mercedes, invest with financial advisers, etc. 

Go Army - Beat Navy!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:54:38 EDT »

FIFY
BITE ME!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 09:06:33 EDT »

BITE ME!

Ha!  Figured that would be coming.   

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 11:47:32 EDT »

Most people who enjoy watching professional golf, imo, play golf themselves. I think that most people who don't play think watching it is boring. I used to live to watch tennis - when I was playing - I hate watching it now.

Some of the problem is also the TV coverage, I think.

Lastly, the tour losing Tiger was a huge setback for viewership I think. Tiger was the Dale Earnhardt of the PGA. NASCAR hasn't been the same since DE was lost at Daytona. Most people either loved him and watched to see him win, or hated him and watched hoping for him to lose. Even folks who didn't play golf would watch when Tiger was playing.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 01:12:00 EDT »

After hitting maybe the worst drive I've ever seen by a professional golfer, Spieth did what is possibly the most spectacular thing that I have ever seen in golf.

Starting with the clear thinking to go with the unplayable and the accompanying drop, he simply was incredible.  In my opinion, it is the most impressive 6 hole stretch of golf that I have ever witnessed.

I was pulling for Kuchar.  He and Fowler are probably the two best left to never win a major, so I'll root for either if they're in contention.

But Spieth is so fun to watch.  I remember watching Tiger in his prime, and guys like McIlroy and Dustin Johnson today, and I think "I could practice all my life, and I'd never be able to do what he does".  Those dudes are just physically gifted, and are able to overpower a golf course.  That's not Spieth.  I think (maybe optimistically so), that if I had the time and money to invest in the game, I could do what he does physically (or at least I could have in my younger days).  But I could never match his mental toughness.  If I had hit a drive as bad as his on 13, and then spent the next half hour embarrassing myself setting up my next shot over on the practice range, I probably just would've phoned it in and/or withdrawn.  His flare for the dramatic and ability to elevate his game in clutch situations is Jordan-esque.

Creek Walker
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 02:31:18 EDT »

Most people who enjoy watching professional golf, imo, play golf themselves. I think that most people who don't play think watching it is boring. I used to live to watch tennis - when I was playing - I hate watching it now.

The problem with golf is that the courses eat up a lot of real estate that used to be good places to hunt and fish. 
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 04:24:31 EDT »

The problem with golf is that the courses eat up a lot of real estate that used to be good places to hunt and fish.  

Al Czervik disagrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XQuEYDoj4

Go Army - Beat Navy!
JeffCountyVolFan
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 06:02:48 EDT »

I was pulling for Kuchar.  He and Fowler are probably the two best left to never win a major, so I'll root for either if they're in contention.

But Spieth is so fun to watch.  I remember watching Tiger in his prime, and guys like McIlroy and Dustin Johnson today, and I think "I could practice all my life, and I'd never be able to do what he does".  Those dudes are just physically gifted, and are able to overpower a golf course.  That's not Spieth.  I think (maybe optimistically so), that if I had the time and money to invest in the game, I could do what he does physically (or at least I could have in my younger days).  But I could never match his mental toughness.  If I had hit a drive as bad as his on 13, and then spent the next half hour embarrassing myself setting up my next shot over on the practice range, I probably just would've phoned it in and/or withdrawn.  His flare for the dramatic and ability to elevate his game in clutch situations is Jordan-esque.

I would also have liked to see Kuchar get his major. But the performance that we got to witness was awesome.

His calm under pressure after that drive was something else. As they say, these guys are good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: