VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 02:00:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bituli to MLB  (Read 4419 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2017, 01:28:59 EDT »

Has been suggested on this board, and is obviously a great idea.  Won't happen IMO, and here is why.

Butch, based on his comments over the years, sees the MLB as the "QB of the defense" and wants a guy who understands it really well at that slot.  And to his credit, Colton does make great reads.  He always reacts well and appropriately.  Just not nearly quick enough and can't always close the deal when he gets there.

so...is his ability to wave his arms around and yell at the other players really worth it?  I don't think so, but I do believe our HBC does.   

And while I accept that the MLB can direct the D and is well positioned to do so (a) it's not nearly as important as the QB is to the offense...I mean, coach the other players up for chrisake!, and (b) often a safety can play the same role.  Nothing sacred about an MLB "directing defensive traffic".  But based on his pressers, Jones apparently thinks an MLB that understands the D is defensive gold.   Even one that's not athletic enough to play the position properly. 

Which, when you think about it, matches Butch's personality of the cerebral "do it by the book"/analytics/"it was on the chart" type.  That and his geeky band pic.   

I hope, pray, beg that Bituli be given a shot at MLB.  But we also know Jones can be stubborn. 

And yes, I am being "real" about Jones.  It's time to finally take the training wheels off, man up and win some games (this was actually true last year....but injuries).

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 01:46:07 EDT »

This is a refreshing post from you, Bandit. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 04:39:22 EDT »

Bituli has to be in the middle. McDowell is o.k. on the edge.

Ignont should have played more last week.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 06:05:07 EDT »

Bituli has to be in the middle. McDowell is o.k. on the edge.

Ignont should have played more last week.

Ignont is listed second on the depth chart at MLB. FWIW.  Because Butch's depth charts aren't always accurate.

But...maybe he will see the field a bit more tomorrow, make a couple standout plays, and stay in for significant PT.  we can hope! 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 06:22:05 EDT »

Yes indeed! I shall hope.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 09:16:24 EDT »

Has been suggested on this board, and is obviously a great idea.  Won't happen IMO, and here is why.

Butch, based on his comments over the years, sees the MLB as the "QB of the defense" and wants a guy who understands it really well at that slot.  And to his credit, Colton does make great reads.  He always reacts well and appropriately.  Just not nearly quick enough and can't always close the deal when he gets there.

so...is his ability to wave his arms around and yell at the other players really worth it?  I don't think so, but I do believe our HBC does.   

And while I accept that the MLB can direct the D and is well positioned to do so (a) it's not nearly as important as the QB is to the offense...I mean, coach the other players up for chrisake!, and (b) often a safety can play the same role.  Nothing sacred about an MLB "directing defensive traffic".  But based on his pressers, Jones apparently thinks an MLB that understands the D is defensive gold.   Even one that's not athletic enough to play the position properly. 

Which, when you think about it, matches Butch's personality of the cerebral "do it by the book"/analytics/"it was on the chart" type.  That and his geeky band pic.   

I hope, pray, beg that Bituli be given a shot at MLB.  But we also know Jones can be stubborn. 

And yes, I am being "real" about Jones.  It's time to finally take the training wheels off, man up and win some games (this was actually true last year....but injuries).
Shoop is the one that loves Jumper

Certain media people I trust have said that Bituli was going to start for three days.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 03:54:19 EDT »

Shoop is the one that loves Jumper

Certain media people I trust have said that Bituli was going to start for three days.

If so, I definitely question his judgement. 

This could be a pivitol game in Shoops career. If we stink it up defensively againt the gators, hes gonna have to go.

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 06:09:02 EDT »

Everything I've heard and read is Shoop loves the guy......which is fine. But if Shoop thinks Jumper is a SEC linebacker then we are paying him way too much.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 06:13:03 EDT »

IIRC, Jumper had a very good game against da gata last year.  So I'm fine if Shoop wants to start him today.  But I hope he has a very short leash.  He flubs one play early, then yank him.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 06:45:54 EDT »

IIRC, Jumper had a very good game against da gata last year.  So I'm fine if Shoop wants to start him today.  But I hope he has a very short leash.  He flubs one play early, then yank him.

fair enough

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 06:56:14 EDT »

Shoop kind of says he will here

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Tennessee-Vols-football-Bob-Shoop-Daniel-Bituli-set-for-big-role-107446120

So he might occasionally see some time at Mike, but not when Galuden is in.  seems beyond stupid to me, but better than no MLB at all.

Hope he's in the first time Jumper gets carried 4 yards by a tailback.  Not holding my breath though

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 07:12:17 EDT »

I'll say this too guys...I'm not 100% buying that it's all Shoops. IDK about this season, but last year Butch ccouldn't stop singing the praises of how heady and vital a player Jumper is.

And he's the HC.  If he needs to overide a stupid DC decision, he'd best get about doing it or go work on his resume.  It's that bad.

Maybe Jumper did have a good UF game last year.  This year against both Ga Tech he looked 100% like shizzle. 

He does sniff out plays and almost always takes the right angle to them.  He also almost never gets there in time, and when he does the RB or WR carries him 2-3 yards or he whiffs entirely.

All of you complaining about the boundary sweep type runs?  Lack of speed at MLB will KILL you on those.  And no, I'm not a coach, but that observation is not rocket science either.  It's like saying you have to block to run the ball.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: