VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 07:53:01 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ****Freeze your credit****  (Read 7309 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2017, 03:41:34 EDT »

Due to the Equifax hack it is important to freeze your credit. This will prevent anyone (including you) from getting any new credit in your name. You can still use your credit cards and any other line of credit but no new credit can be obtained. So if you're buying and financing something like a car or a home appliance, you will need to unfreeze your credit before applying for new credit. This is a mild pain in the asp but it beats having someone getting credit in your name.

I did mine online with all four credit agencies. You can do it on the phone but reports say that the phone lines can be jammed. Below is the info where to go to freeze your credit.

•Equifax: (800) 685-1111 or https://www.freeze.equifax.com/

•Experian: (888) 397-3742 or https://www.experian.com/ncaconline/freeze

•TransUnion: (888) 909-8872 or https://freeze.transunion.com/ ◦Note: their phone prompts move quickly, so have your newly thought-up PIN and credit card information readily available.

•Innovis: (800) 540-2505 or https://www.innovis.com/securityFreeze

RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 02:25:32 EDT »

We had already frozen our credit a while back, but the Innovis I didn't even know about!   Guess I'll go out and do that one today!  Thanks droner

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 04:43:22 EDT »

As I understand it, there may be a fee to unfreeze one's credit... but did you have to pay a fee for any of these four to do the actual freezing?  (Also read this depends on the state you live in)

Of course, a fee is better than having your credit screwed up.. but I was just wondering if there was a fee to freeze.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 04:48:46 EDT »

No fee to freeze. I did all four of mine online. They didn't even ask for credit card info.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 04:56:45 EDT »

When did Innovis come about? What is it? I haven't seen it pulled when I have applied for credit. BTW...Thanks for the info Droner.

volsboyinsodak
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 05:39:09 EDT »

No fee to freeze. I did all four of mine online. They didn't even ask for credit card info.

Weird..so I just went through the process online for each of the four... Experian and TransUnion each asked for a payment of $7.50, and Equifax and Innovis didn't prompt for any payment whatsoever.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:28 EDT »

Weird..so I just went through the process online for each of the four... Experian and TransUnion each asked for a payment of $7.50, and Equifax and Innovis didn't prompt for any payment whatsoever.

That is weird. I paid nothing and did not give any of them any credit card info. TransUnion required me to register and then freeze but didn't ask for any money.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 05:44:14 EDT »

I had to pay $3 for one of them.....all of them are free over 65, I believe.   Can't remember which one charged me the $3.  My husbands were all free.   We've had ours frozen for several months......just didn't know about Innovis -- so that one is now done.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 05:49:12 EDT »

I had to pay $3 for one of them.....all of them are free over 65, I believe.   Can't remember which one charged me the $3.  My husbands were all free.   We've had ours frozen for several months......just didn't know about Innovis -- so that one is now done.

Did Innovis even say anything to you about a PIN?  It did not for me, it just said that freeze confirmation would be sent to me in the mail to the address I provided.
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 06:20:20 EDT »

Did Innovis even say anything to you about a PIN?  It did not for me, it just said that freeze confirmation would be sent to me in the mail to the address I provided.

I think the PIN comes in the mail with the confirmation.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 06:24:28 EDT »

I think the PIN comes in the mail with the confirmation.

Cool, got it.  Thanks for the info!
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:48 EDT »

Just confirmation letter from Innovis for me and Dean....I assume the pin number will come in the letter -- by far, theirs was the easiest to do! HA!

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:57:32 EDT »

Just confirmation letter from Innovis for me and Dean....I assume the pin number will come in the letter -- by far, theirs was the easiest to do! HA!

Right, almost too easy!  Afterwards I thought to myself "did I really complete it, what did I miss?   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 03:19:09 EDT »

Thanks Droner!

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 05:39:22 EDT »

A quote from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" comes to mind....

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: