VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 02:52:48 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CBJ just can't help himself..  (Read 5235 times)
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2017, 01:38:16 EDT »

Today he said this: Jones: “These last two years have been some of the best years in the last 20 years of Tennessee football.”

http://tenntruth.com/2017/09/28/tennessee-vols-another-day-another-head-scratching-butch-jones-quote/
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 01:54:41 EDT »

Today he said this: Jones: “These last two years have been some of the best years in the last 20 years of Tennessee football.”

http://tenntruth.com/2017/09/28/tennessee-vols-another-day-another-head-scratching-butch-jones-quote/

Well, that would depend on your definition of "some".  But they are probably in the top 5-6.  That's pretty sad, if you think about it.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 03:31:49 EDT »

As far as I am concerned,  there are no "best" years,  no "good" years,  not even acceptable years when your results have Vanderbilt and "L" on the same line. Tired of rhetoric,  tired of excuses,  tired of blatant self platitudes,  tired of constant spin,  very,  very tired of clichés.   So tired that I am close to losing interest.   Never in my life could I have imagined that.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:35 EDT »

As far as I am concerned,  there are no "best" years,  no "good" years,  not even acceptable years when your results have Vanderbilt and "L" on the same line. Tired of rhetoric,  tired of excuses,  tired of blatant self platitudes,  tired of constant spin,  very,  very tired of clichés.   So tired that I am close to losing interest.   Never in my life could I have imagined that.

Seems more and more have come to this^same opinion.
FLVOL
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:46:51 EDT »

holy crap, POTM 

11B4PJ3F7
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 04:38:12 EDT »

Sounds like by him saying something that stupid is he is self campaigning for his next job.

He's the only person on the planet that believes that crap.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 12:57:12 EDT »

It is stupid considering the last 20 years include the NC     And if you look back, we were consistently rated in the top 10 through 2004, if not as season's end, then during it.  Those were Fulmer's glory years.

Even in 2007, the record was identical but we actually won the East.

But...as BDV says, if he had gone back 10 years, it would be THE BEST seasons in Tennessee football.  And that is in fact sad. 

As for losing to Vandy, let's go ahead and factor in that they are not the typical 2-9 team they were in the 1990s that scared us in 1996 and 1997 when we were near our peak, but are in fact a middle of the pack SEC team that has been to 2-3 bowls in a row.

Having said that, I  expect to beat them this year, and soundly.  The talent disparity is considerable.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 04:52:29 EDT »

Well it is hard to win the SECE when you lose to Vandy.  UGa and UT found out last year. My biggest problem is there are quite a few teams around the country with less resources than UT that consistently field better teams.

volsboyinsodak
Creek Walker
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 05:28:20 EDT »

The talent disparity is considerable.

As was the case last year. I don't think I'd hold my breath.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 08:25:56 EDT »

Well it is hard to win the SECE when you lose to Vandy.  UGa and UT found out last year. My biggest problem is there are quite a few teams around the country with less resources than UT that consistently field better teams.

Hm.  well, there aren't dozens and dozens of teams that won 9 or more games last year.   In the SEC, there were only 3.  Bammer at 14-1 (and what a glorious 1 it was  ), Florida at 9-4, and the Vols at 9-4.

And we beat Florida.  And we would have been in, if we had beaten Vandy and USC junior (don't forget them).   

Bammer has far more resources than us (and the reason why is a well known complaint of mine).  Florida arguably has more, but I will allow that last year and this, for a very rare exception, we are more talented than them.  They still have a larger state, fanbase, and more money than us though.

So what program in the SEC are you pointing to that has done more with less resources?  There isn't one. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 10:24:07 EDT »

Hm.  well, there aren't dozens and dozens of teams that won 9 or more games last year.   In the SEC, there were only 3.  Bammer at 14-1 (and what a glorious 1 it was  ), Florida at 9-4, and the Vols at 9-4.

And we beat Florida.  And we would have been in, if we had beaten Vandy and USC junior (don't forget them).   

Bammer has far more resources than us (and the reason why is a well known complaint of mine).  Florida arguably has more, but I will allow that last year and this, for a very rare exception, we are more talented than them.  They still have a larger state, fanbase, and more money than us though.

So what program in the SEC are you pointing to that has done more with less resources?  There isn't one. 
I said around the country. Not the SEC. As for resources I mean revenue, facilities, boosters. I'd say that the Vols have more resources than a few SECW teams. The Vols are definitely one of the haves when it comes to money. Off top of my head I would say Louisville, Utah, W. Virginia, TCU, Duke have done more with less during the Jones regime. Hell, Memphis has done about as well. I didn't look up these schools finances but I would say most of them have smaller athletic budgets than the Vols.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 10:27:28 EDT »

I have an acquaintance who is a Bama fan. When he learned that Jones made his statement about the last 3 years are some of the best in the last twenty years for the Vols, he said "I've enjoyed the hell out of them". I had to laugh. Just a little.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 12:16:39 EDT »

I said around the country. Not the SEC. As for resources I mean revenue, facilities, boosters. I'd say that the Vols have more resources than a few SECW teams. The Vols are definitely one of the haves when it comes to money. Off top of my head I would say Louisville, Utah, W. Virginia, TCU, Duke have done more with less during the Jones regime. Hell, Memphis has done about as well. I didn't look up these schools finances but I would say most of them have smaller athletic budgets than the Vols.

I can make the exact same point "around the country".  Give specifics.  There likely aren't any, and even if they are, are you really going to put a MAC schedule up against an SEC schedule?  Even though the SEC is down, there are few valid comparisons.

I could look it up, but do your own research.   

Just your typical lack of thought that goes into a post, I guess.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 12:33:18 EDT »

I can make the exact same point "around the country".  Give specifics.  There likely aren't any, and even if they are, are you really going to put a MAC schedule up against an SEC schedule?  Even though the SEC is down, there are few valid comparisons.

I could look it up, but do your own research.  

Just your typical lack of thought that goes into a post, I guess.
So you think no school with a lower athletic budget than Tennessee has put better teams on the field than UT. Does Clemson have a higher athletic budget than UT. I doubt it. Does Auburn? Nope. There are a shizzle ton of schools that have smaller budgets and make less money than UT. Not that it matters. It is just frustrating. A good ass-whooping of UGa will put things back on track. Peace!
http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10/#11-auburn--1247-million-15

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 02:38:58 EDT »

So you think no school with a lower athletic budget than Tennessee has put better teams on the field than UT. Does Clemson have a higher athletic budget than UT. I doubt it. Does Auburn? Nope. There are a shizzle ton of schools that have smaller budgets and make less money than UT. Not that it matters. It is just frustrating. A good ass-whooping of UGa will put things back on track. Peace!
http://www.businessinsider.com/schools-most-revenue-college-sports-2016-10/#11-auburn--1247-million-15
D

Who cares about budget? Recruiting is what matters. This isnt MLB. Or its not suppossed to be. (Looking at you, saban)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: