VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 11:31:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The side of a coach's life that we don't see..........  (Read 6403 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:13:42 EDT »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20884170/spending-game-day-family-embattled-tennessee-volunteers-butch-jones
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:40:46 EDT »

Wayall....he makes $4 million a year. Its a bidmess.

(Repeat mindlessly x100)

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 09:47:45 EDT »

Wayall....he makes $4 million a year. Its a bidmess.

(Repeat mindlessly x100)

True for him and his wife, but $4 mil doesn't mean much to his kids.  Too bad families take the brunt of these things sometimes.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 09:52:13 EDT »

I get it.  These situations are really tough on a coach's family, and they didn't ask for this.  But for this piece to be coming from ESPN is absolutely hilarious.  I mean, Reece Davis spent an entire segment mocking Butch on Gameday Saturday.  Finebuam beats the drum daily on his show, as do many of his guests.  I can find several tweets from ESPN personalities calling for his job.  They've spent the entire offseason stoking these flames, and now they want us to feel sorry for them?  Stop it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:27:24 EDT »

True for him and his wife, but $4 mil doesn't mean much to his kids.  Too bad families take the brunt of these things sometimes.

Yep

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 02:12:36 EDT »

I feel sorry for kids, BUT smart parents can highlight something cool. Have the kids plan a fun trip to an exotic location.

Also, most folks work 40-50 years in hopes of having enough for retirement. College coaches currently do not, even the assistants. Regular folks would gladly swap some pride for a million or ten.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 03:27:45 EDT »

I feel sorry for kids, BUT smart parents can highlight something cool. Have the kids plan a fun trip to an exotic location.

Also, most folks work 40-50 years in hopes of having enough for retirement. College coaches currently do not, even the assistants. Regular folks would gladly swap some pride for a million or ten.

Agree.  OTOH, most of them coach into their 60s anyway

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 04:48:12 EDT »

Good point Bandit. Very few take the Chizik route, but financially they at least have the option to do do.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 08:18:22 EDT »

I don't feel sorry for Jones. He took the job and the money that goes with it. It is totally on him that he has put the first prevent offense on the field that I have ever seen. It is on him that he came up with those stupid coach speak excuses. Brick by brick, champions of life my butt. Recruit and coach intelligently on gameday is what is required. He has been stealing his paycheck. 

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 10:46:10 EDT »

I don't feel sorry for Jones. He took the job and the money that goes with it. It is totally on him that he has put the first prevent offense on the field that I have ever seen. It is on him that he came up with those stupid coach speak excuses. Brick by brick, champions of life my butt. Recruit and coach intelligently on gameday is what is required. He has been stealing his paycheck. 

He's not  a perfect coach by any means, and very likely not the coach of the future or the one to bring us back to an SEC championship (he does have at least a few more games though).

But do you give him any credit at all for bringing in talent and making us at least respectable again?  We won three bowl games in a row for the first time since the 90s and had back to back 9+ win seasons for the first time since 2006-07. 

Listening to you, it would seem you think he is Dooley 2.0. 

Butch may not be the coach of the future for Tennessee, but give him some credit for what he has accomplished.  These things matter.  How can a person raised in the South be so utterly lacking in manners?  Your momma didn't raise you right, I guess. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 12:43:03 EDT »

A coach at UT should NEVER lose at home to UGA 41-0. His respectability went out the window with that one.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 02:14:21 EDT »

A coach at UT should NEVER lose at home to UGA 41-0. His respectability went out the window with that one.

He's still better than Dooley.  By a country mile.  Has the date on the Butch Jones milk passed it's expiration date?  It looks that way, but I still give him credit for at least making us average to good for two seasons.

How the rest of the year plays out remains to be seen.

volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 09:07:10 EDT »

My biggest fault for Jones is no SECe championships while the division has been so weak. Horseface is 2 for 2 in SECe championships. Jones recruited okay. Which was wasted on the field by his x and o's ability. Is he going to go his whole tenure at UT without beating an SECw team? We shall see.

volsboyinsodak
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:41 EDT »

It appears that Barb Jones understands the situation pretty well. 

Yep, it's business.  No different than if Butch were the CEO of an under performing company in the private sector.  People are hired and fired every day.  It happens.  But most don't walk away with $7.5 million in failure money. 

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Bolt/Tennessee-coach-Butch-Jones-wife-talks-hot-seat-with-ESPN-108403702

Go Army - Beat Navy!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 10:09:57 EDT »

I get it, though.  While I don't "feel sorry" for Butch or Barb I would definitely understand the frustration that would come along with the territory.  As much time away from family as a coach spends, and how many sacrifices they make... only to see it end up with all of Volnation wanting the guy fired before midnight has to be really hard to deal with no matter if you know it comes with the territory or not.  That sure is a lot of money, but money can't get all that time a coach has missed with his family back.  It's still real and I'm sure they don't necessarily prepare emotionally for it every time, they are human beings with emotions and feelings just like everyone and failure is hard to deal with when someone has invested everything into something.  Like Barb said, they've been successfully wherever they've been at his past stops so this is sort of new territory for them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:11:57 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
HerbTarlekVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 12:26:34 EDT »

I get it, though.  While I don't "feel sorry" for Butch or Barb I would definitely understand the frustration that would come along with the territory.  As much time away from family as a coach spends, and how many sacrifices they make... only to see it end up with all of Volnation wanting the guy fired before midnight has to be really hard to deal with no matter if you know it comes with the territory or not.  That sure is a lot of money, but money can't get all that time a coach has missed with his family back.  It's still real and I'm sure they don't necessarily prepare emotionally for it every time, they are human beings with emotions and feelings just like everyone and failure is hard to deal with when someone has invested everything into something.  Like Barb said, they've been successfully wherever they've been at his past stops so this is sort of new territory for them.

Don't really disagree with you.

But defining "successful" is relevant to where he has coached, the price that the market has put on a particular job, and the expected results that come with accepting the job and the rewards and benefits that come with it.  What Barb doesn't say is that because of that money and those expectations that the Jones family has been afforded an upper tier lifestyle that few in that business ever achieve.  And with that opportunity comes the expectation for success that needs to take place to maintain that status.  SEC expectations and rewards for success are far higher than the were at Directional Michigan and Cincinnati.  Comparing those two with Tennessee and the SEC are an apples and bananas comparison.  

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 01:51:58 EDT by HerbTarlekVol » Logged

Go Army - Beat Navy!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 12:37:48 EDT »

My biggest fault for Jones is no SECe championships while the division has been so weak. Horseface is 2 for 2 in SECe championships. Jones recruited okay. Which was wasted on the field by his x and o's ability. Is he going to go his whole tenure at UT without beating an SECw team? We shall see.

It wasn't completely wasted.  We beat #11 USC jr in his first year, our first win over a ranked opponent since Kiffin beat uga.  We beat Florida and Georgia in the same year for the first time since at least 2004 last year.  There have been some really good wins in the Butch Jones era.  Could there have been more?  Absolutely.

And as for the East being down, I am on record as saying we have, in a rare instance, more talent than Florida for the last 2-3 years.  But it's a very narrow advantage.  We are just a smidge better than them.  Yes, we should have won the last 3, no doubt, but let's not act like we have a huge talent advantage.

As for Georgia, they still have more talent than us, and have since the end of the Fulmer era.  And yet Butch beat them twice in a row.

It's this kind of shizzle that drives me crazy.  As far as you're concerned, Jones is about on par with Dooley.  Ridiculous....

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 01:05:33 EDT »

Don't really disagree with you.

But defining "successful" is relevant to where he has coached, the price that market has put on a particular job, and the expected results that come with accepting the job and the rewards and benefits that come with it.  What Barb doesn't say is that because of that money and those expectations that the Jones family has been afforded an upper tier lifestyle that few in that business every achieve.  And with that opportunity comes the expectation for success that needs to take place to maintain that status.  SEC expectations and rewards for success are far higher than the were at Directional Michigan and Cincinnati.  Comparing those two with Tennessee and the SEC are an apples and bananas comparison.  

Can't disagree with that, either.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 10:13:20 EDT »

He's not  a perfect coach by any means, and very likely not the coach of the future or the one to bring us back to an SEC championship (he does have at least a few more games though).

But do you give him any credit at all for bringing in talent and making us at least respectable again?  We won three bowl games in a row for the first time since the 90s and had back to back 9+ win seasons for the first time since 2006-07. 

Listening to you, it would seem you think he is Dooley 2.0. 

Butch may not be the coach of the future for Tennessee, but give him some credit for what he has accomplished.  These things matter.  How can a person raised in the South be so utterly lacking in manners?  Your momma didn't raise you right, I guess. 
I have been terribly critical of Jones. But I honestly hoped that he would prove me wrong. His time is running out to do that. I think people expected too much from Jones from the get-go. Plus they over emphasized how good of a recruiter he is. Really! Is he? This team does not look as talented as his recruiting hype indicates it should be. The cupboard looks bare quite honestly. Plus he is a read option type offensive guy. Dormady is not a read option type QB. Why do you recruit him then? I hope he can still get to at least 8 wins this season. But I wouldn't bet on it.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 12:32:28 EDT »

I have been terribly critical of Jones. But I honestly hoped that he would prove me wrong. His time is running out to do that. I think people expected too much from Jones from the get-go. Plus they over emphasized how good of a recruiter he is. Really! Is he? This team does not look as talented as his recruiting hype indicates it should be. The cupboard looks bare quite honestly. Plus he is a read option type offensive guy. Dormady is not a read option type QB. Why do you recruit him then? I hope he can still get to at least 8 wins this season. But I wouldn't bet on it.

The recruiting could be better, but is on par with any other top half SEC program other than bammer.

Lets not forget the devastating injuries. Before the season I would have said Kirkland snd Kelly were our two best defensive players.

And Jennings....are you kidding me? The guy arguably made the difference against both uga and uf last year. I thought we might get by without him. I was wrong. If Jennings is healthy we beat florida and at least score on uga.

The talent is there, it just needs to stay healthy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: