VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 10:23:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh my !  (Read 13848 times)
Evol Knievol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2017, 09:35:40 EDT »

https://www.gofundme.com/pg3g3b-butch-jones-buyout
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 09:39:02 EDT »

Very predictable.

Also gives a few a chance to put their money where their mouthes are 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 06:20:12 EDT »

$10 of a $1 million goal in 14 days   
10EC
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:26:03 EDT »

$10 of a $1 million goal in 14 days   

And Chip Kelly gave $5 of it... 
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 10:46:44 EDT »

Ut has as much a chance of getting Chip Kelly as luring John Gruden. Can you have a less than 0.00% chance?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 10:53:57 EDT »

Ut has as much a chance of getting Chip Kelly as luring John Gruden. Can you have a less than 0.00% chance?
Nor do I want someone who left Oregon under the NCAA gun

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:12:15 EDT »

Disagree. Gruden in a class by himself.  Both as a coach and in terms of availability.

Kelly...I'm not sure how "gettable" he is, but far easier than Gruden, who makes over $10 million a year to be a color guy for a single game a week and do a QB show for college.  No way is he ever giving up that easy gig.  Kelly appears to be completely unemployed, though I am sure his buyout from the Eagles is still in force.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 12:20:07 EDT »

I'm not sure Kelly is the guy Tennessee wants, but he's certainly obtainable. Hardly a lock and would require a lot of money, but he has made it clear he wants to get back into the college game.

I'm not sure why people say "Tennessee has zero chance" of landing this coach or that coach. This is a top 15 job. It's a destination. I think getting spurned by Muschamp and having successive ADs who tried to hire on pocket change have jilted Tennessee fans. Michigan couldn't have gotten Jim Harbaugh if they hadn't thrown enough $$ at him to make him the highest-paid coach in college football. But they did. I don't think Kelly is as much of a home-run hire as Harbaugh was for Michigan, and I hate to throw $7m+ at ANYONE...but that's the way the game is headed. It's only been a decade since we were all scoffing at Alabama for giving Nick Saban $4 million, and now Butch is making $4.1 million for this garbage product he's putting on the field. And, speaking of Alabama, they did the same thing. Rich Rod may have been their first choice, but one way or another they were looking for a proven winner and willing to throw around some unprecedented cash to get that winner.

If Tennessee is read to talk Alabama or Michigan money then, yeah, they can get Chip Kelly (depending on what other jobs might be coming available for Kelly to choose from) this year.

And since Warren Buffett is buying a majority share in Pilot Flying J, the Haslams have some spare change to throw at a new coach. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 12:45:31 EDT »

I'm not sure Kelly is the guy Tennessee wants, but he's certainly obtainable. Hardly a lock and would require a lot of money, but he has made it clear he wants to get back into the college game.

I'm not sure why people say "Tennessee has zero chance" of landing this coach or that coach. This is a top 15 job. It's a destination. I think getting spurned by Muschamp and having successive ADs who tried to hire on pocket change have jilted Tennessee fans. Michigan couldn't have gotten Jim Harbaugh if they hadn't thrown enough $$ at him to make him the highest-paid coach in college football. But they did. I don't think Kelly is as much of a home-run hire as Harbaugh was for Michigan, and I hate to throw $7m+ at ANYONE...but that's the way the game is headed. It's only been a decade since we were all scoffing at Alabama for giving Nick Saban $4 million, and now Butch is making $4.1 million for this garbage product he's putting on the field. And, speaking of Alabama, they did the same thing. Rich Rod may have been their first choice, but one way or another they were looking for a proven winner and willing to throw around some unprecedented cash to get that winner.

If Tennessee is read to talk Alabama or Michigan money then, yeah, they can get Chip Kelly (depending on what other jobs might be coming available for Kelly to choose from) this year.

And since Warren Buffett is buying a majority share in Pilot Flying J, the Haslams have some spare change to throw at a new coach. 

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 01:44:04 EDT »

We booted Pearl out of Knoxville because of a show cause.....We aren't going to hire Kelly who left Oregon toting a show cause. Not going to happen.
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 01:51:46 EDT »

I know I said enough for the both of us, but this might be the first time I've ever seen you speechless. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 01:58:12 EDT »

I know I said enough for the both of us, but this might be the first time I've ever seen you speechless. 

Hmm.  Don't know how that happened.  I wasn't even trying to reply in this thread.

Creek Walker
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 02:02:28 EDT »

We booted Pearl out of Knoxville because of a show cause.....We aren't going to hire Kelly who left Oregon toting a show cause. Not going to happen.

Apples to oranges, IMO. I'm not saying Tennessee is going after Chip Kelly. In fact, I think there are a few Knoxville media types who are going to look really stupid when this is all said and done because they've sold out on Kelly. But if Tennessee wants to pursue Kelly, his show-cause is no reason to change anyone's mind. It was the weakest show-cause in NCAA history. So weak that it would've probably never been handed down if Kelly hadn't already left for the NFL. The NCAA COI wanted to make an example out of a big-name coach and Kelly was the perfect scapegoat because he had left for the NFL. Which probably also explains why Kelly's show-cause was so unusually short (18 months).
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 02:09:09 EDT »

Apples to oranges, IMO. I'm not saying Tennessee is going after Chip Kelly. In fact, I think there are a few Knoxville media types who are going to look really stupid when this is all said and done because they've sold out on Kelly. But if Tennessee wants to pursue Kelly, his show-cause is no reason to change anyone's mind. It was the weakest show-cause in NCAA history. So weak that it would've probably never been handed down if Kelly hadn't already left for the NFL. The NCAA COI wanted to make an example out of a big-name coach and Kelly was the perfect scapegoat because he had left for the NFL. Which probably also explains why Kelly's show-cause was so unusually short (18 months).

Missing the point....We canned our best BB coach who took us places we've never been in BB.....Not going to hire someone who had a show cause when we didn't support Pearl. The powers that be will not do that. I could care less if we hired a crook as long as they win because schools that are committed to winning big don't care either. But Kelly isn't going to get a sniff except what the media makes it out to be just like Gruden.

As soon as Butch is canned it's going to be in the media and message boards....Gruden....Kelly...Gruden....Kelly rinse and repeat.
Creek Walker
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 02:13:29 EDT »

It's still an apples to oranges comparison. Pearl was implicitly guilty, while the NCAA itself said Kelly's hands were clean. Besides, who knows whether Tennessee would've supported Pearl if its hand hadn't been forced. The show-cause made it impossible for Tennessee to keep Pearl. What was the best-case scenario? Maybe Pearl was allowed to coach but not to recruit? It was an impossible situation. Kelly's show-cause has long since expired so it's moot.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 02:15:48 EDT »

Ok...it's moot......but you have a better chance getting the job than Kelly.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:19:09 EDT by Tnphil » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 03:06:38 EDT »

I think Kelly is unlikely and Im also not sold on him myself.

My choice of the moment....Cut on a 3 year contract (or certainly 5 or less) with Tee Martin the OC and coach in waiting. (-:

Now...I know that many of you are done with Tee...but Im not. 

Creek Walker
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 03:48:02 EDT »

If I thought for a second that this guy was actually disillusioned enough to bid farewell to the West Coast, I'd be all for this...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/chris-petersen-sounds-off-on-how-pac-12-game-times-are-hurting-washington/
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 04:47:28 EDT »

If I thought for a second that this guy was actually disillusioned enough to bid farewell to the West Coast, I'd be all for this...

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/chris-petersen-sounds-off-on-how-pac-12-game-times-are-hurting-washington/

was at the top of my list when we hired both Kiffin and Dooley.  Would have topped my list when we hired Jones, but by then I knew better. It's too bad, I rank him in the top 5. 

The two tops are urban and satan (is it any wonder they ruined Fulmer?)

Next group is dabo and fisher...good teams year and out and have won it all

then harbaugh and petersen, and I put petersen a bit ahead of harbaugh because Washington actually won their conference last year and made the playoffs, and arguably was worse off when petersen was hired than michigan was when harbaugh was hired

So petersen is no. 5, but I think he might be 3 or even higher one day, and I think the same of harbaugh

I have to reluctantly admit that Franklin might be moving up, and I also like Fuentes at Va Tech.  Newer coaches with potential are Lincoln at OU and another I won't mention again for a while.   

That's all the elite coaches that I can see in college football.  None of them are gettable, unfortunately. I can't see any of them leaving to come to UT, with the possible exception of Fuentes, who is "wait and see". 

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 03:55:08 EDT »

Kelly is doing the TV college football commentator thing right now. So he is employed and getting the pro football coach buy out retirement plan. He is a egomaniac that wants to control the program, which is why he failed so miserably at Philadelphia and San Fran. Kelly is no football genius IMO or he would have won it all at Oregon.

When (not if) Butch is fired, UT needs to get a coach that has a plan and a record of developing players and not one with a gimmick phrase for that year. Talk is cheap (well, not really), but we need a coach that can keep the talent he recruits by actually hiring coaches that can teach players to get better. IMO Butch plays scared and does not have confidence that his players will succeed. Look at the total number of kids that have transferred. No one can convince me everyone of them was a quitter that had no talent.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 04:44:57 EDT »

I am not to keen on Kelly either. I saw the talent he squandered at Philly. He had a lot of talent on his Philly team. Plus he doesn't put enough into the defensive side of the ball. Is he a better coach than Jones? Yes. His teams at Oregon always had trouble when they faced physical teams. The SEC is usually full of physical teams. If he made the Vols a finesse team like Oregon, the physical teams in the SEC would be tough matchups. Not that they aren't anyway. So who do you hire? All the coaches that have won NC's are either employed at places they ain't leaving or are too old to get back into coaching. So who is the "next big thing" coach you gamble on? Vols either need to go big or go home. If they don't go big, they just hire another Jones type coach. Which leaves us where we are now.

volsboyinsodak
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 04:52:19 EDT »

I am not to keen on Kelly either. I saw the talent he squandered at Philly. He had a lot of talent on his Philly team. Plus he doesn't put enough into the defensive side of the ball. Is he a better coach than Jones? Yes. His teams at Oregon always had trouble when they faced physical teams. The SEC is usually full of physical teams. If he made the Vols a finesse team like Oregon, the physical teams in the SEC would be tough matchups. Not that they aren't anyway. So who do you hire? All the coaches that have won NC's are either employed at places they ain't leaving or are too old to get back into coaching. So who is the "next big thing" coach you gamble on? Vols either need to go big or go home. If they don't go big, they just hire another Jones type coach. Which leaves us where we are now.

You are correct.....When Oregon played teams with physical front 7's they got beat....When they played defenses that controlled the LOS they lost. In the SEC you face those defenses almost weekly.
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 05:26:56 EDT »

What is the deal with Tee Martin? I hear rumors he may be in the mix.  What has he done to deserve the opportunity and what has he done to make folks think he can coach? Just because he was a Vol doesn't mean he should be the coach.

volsboyinsodak
volsboy
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 06:02:31 EDT »

Another thing that makes it hard to get a coach to commit to UT is that you have to recruit blue-chippers to compete in the SEC. A lot of coaches just don't want to invest that time and energy only to wind up as a middle of the pack team in the SEC. Plus our image is not what it used to be. We are close to competing with Mizzou for 6th in the East if this season doesn't turn around. Where is our supposed talent? I ask again.

volsboyinsodak
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 07:05:25 EDT »

What is the deal with Tee Martin? I hear rumors he may be in the mix.  What has he done to deserve the opportunity and what has he done to make folks think he can coach? Just because he was a Vol doesn't mean he should be the coach.

Tee is (I am told) a really hot commodity right now as OC for USC sr.  I don't want him to step in and be HC at all.  But bring back Cut (who coached Tee) as a caretaker for 3-5 years with Tee as the OC and it's implied he is our coach of the future.  I would be okay with that.

Peyton never won the NC, but Tee did.  Peyton doesn't want to coach, but Tee is.  It's a nice fit.   

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: