VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 07:43:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Currie has to at least make a statement this week, doesn't he?  (Read 4599 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2017, 04:14:38 EDT »

The noise is too loud to just ignore.  Even if it's the obligatory "vote of (no) confidence", he has to say something.  Right?

Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:40:02 EDT »

Probably too busy still counting the money from the 102,422 that were in Neyland Sat. and trying to figure out how he's going to fire the UT pole vault coach.
Creek Walker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:36:45 EDT »

I don’t think so. I think he lays low for now. If Tennessee gets beaten badly by South Carolina, his hand might get forced prematurely. Otherwise I think we don’t hear from him until after the UK game. I’m not sure there’s much to gain from a vote of confidence at this juncture. If that were coming, it would’ve been before the UGA game. Some folks were acting like the wheels were coming off earlier today but essentially it boiled down to one commitment reopening his recruitment and one player who had been threatening to transfer for a while finally doing so. The Cade Mays stories are out there but until I see a reputable source go public with it, I’m not buying it. Kevin Mays is not hard to get ahold of around Knoxville.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:24:21 EDT »

Personally, if there's not going to be any action taken right now I don't really see what Currie stands to benefit from saying anything right now.  A "vote of confidence" would certainly make things worse regarding the "noise".
Creek Walker
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 04:30:39 EDT »

Personally, if there's not going to be any action taken right now I don't really see what Currie stands to benefit from saying anything right now.  A "vote of confidence" would certainly make things worse regarding the "noise".

I think Currie's silence is more telling than anything at this point.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:39:15 EDT »

Add in the lack of an extension ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 05:06:37 EDT »

Agreed.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 06:04:35 EDT »

A vote of confidence would be the same as telling the public the coach has been fired. IMO Currie has already formed a team to look at future coaches and will be contacting agents to gauge interests. But if I were Butch, I would make Currie fire me to get the money. Butch's ego will not allow him to admit failure so his firing is inevitable.
Tnphil
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:48:11 EDT »

A vote of confidence would be the same as telling the public the coach has been fired. IMO Currie has already formed a team to look at future coaches and will be contacting agents to gauge interests. But if I were Butch, I would make Currie fire me to get the money. Butch's ego will not allow him to admit failure so his firing is inevitable.

^Truth spoken...or posted

Butch is the smartest man in the room....just ask him. He and his system in 'Infallible'......again, just ask him.

Nice guy...talked to him for 2 hours back in December. Kind of guy you like to sit down and have a beer with...but just over his head on this level. I see no way he's the coach at UT after this season. And will not be shocked if he's gone before the season is over.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 12:14:14 EDT »

I'd say losing to USC jr by any margin whatsoever, on our home field, followed by a blowout loss to UA will exert maximum pressure.

I don't know that Currie would pull the trigger just yet.

Odds are against Butch being back, but he could still save the season.  Just doesn't appear very likely.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Creek Walker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 12:24:50 EDT »

If Tennessee loses to South Carolina, I'm not betting on anything...but I'd still say it's likely that nothing happens. If it's a blowout (35-14 or something along those lines), then that might change things.

Otherwise I think October 28 is the date to circle. Alabama could steam-roll us by 70 and that wouldn't change things. But the Kentucky game can and might. IF Tennessee loses to South Carolina, Alabama and Kentucky, I think news of Butch's ouster leaks on Oct. 29 and John Currie holds a Halloween Eve press conference.

Prior to the season a lot of people thought 7-5 would be enough to save Butch's job and I would've been inclined to have agreed with that. But the pressure from the fans right now is unbelievable. I'll be honest -- I didn't see this coming (and I say that as someone who is certainly not a Butch Jones fan). IMO, Tennessee's toughest three games remaining on the schedule are the next three (though I wouldn't really put USCe at home in the same class as UK on the road). If Butch loses those, he can still get to 7-5 but I don't think he'll get the chance. I'm not convinced he can lose to UK and get the chance to go 8-4, even if he beats South Carolina. If John Currie is putting out his feelers (and the only way he's not is if he's 100% sold on the idea that Butch is going to be his coach beyond 2017 -- which, if that was the case, would have already prompted the vote of confidence) and he has an idea that his top choice is obtainable, a Kentucky loss is probably enough to push this thing over the edge.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 12:49:10 EDT »

One thing I was reminded of today- the new early signing period goes into effect this year, on December 20.  If Currie is at all interested in holding this recruiting class together (and he should be), then not only should he move on Butch, but he should also have the new coach in place well in advance of that date.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: